The Student Room Group

Taking AH french externally

I speak french fluently but want an Advanced Higher qualification for it, I'm taking Nat 5 at the moment and find it boring and painfuly easy, my teacher isn't letting me take Advanced Higher next year but I want to get it overwith so she told me to take the exam externally. Does anyone know how I would do this? I've tried looking for exam centres who do Advanced Higher french but can't find any around Edinburgh. Please let me know if you've done this and how and what tips you have for me. Thank you!
Original post by pcvt
I speak french fluently but want an Advanced Higher qualification for it, I'm taking Nat 5 at the moment and find it boring and painfuly easy, my teacher isn't letting me take Advanced Higher next year but I want to get it overwith so she told me to take the exam externally. Does anyone know how I would do this? I've tried looking for exam centres who do Advanced Higher french but can't find any around Edinburgh. Please let me know if you've done this and how and what tips you have for me. Thank you!

:wavey:

In terms of finding an exam centre, every school that offers SQA exams is registered as one, so you could try contacting them to see if they'd accept you as an external candidate. I wouldn't particularly expect a high success rate with this though, as they will want to make sure anyone they enter for the exams is capable of passing, and obviously it's a little more difficult for them to do that without you being in front of them.

A couple of other options could be that Edinburgh College offers AH French - http://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/courses/Community-Based-ESOL-and-Modern-Languages/French%20Advanced%20Higher/TH1AFRET19
Again though, you would probably have to be in attendance (& therefore start this coming August) for them to enter you for the exam.

Wallace College acts as an exam centre (and can be used exclusively for exam entry, i.e. without teaching), so could be more what you're looking for, though you'll have to check if they do AH French specifically - http://wallacecollege.com/

Before exploring the above, I would encourage you to arrange a meeting at school between you & a parent/carer and someone more senior though - doing it through your school would be more ideal in that you wouldn't have to pay & you're already there 5 days a week. It's also worth remembering that you will need to be proficient in all 4 areas of reading, writing, listening & speaking and that AH, in addition to 2 exam papers, there is a performance (talking) and portfolio required as part of your grade.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending