The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Uni Foundation Engineering

Wondering if anyone out there reading this is currently doing or are applying to the 'Engineering and Physical Sciences Foundation'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello, I am currently doing the Engineering Foundation Program at UoN. Do let me know if you've got questions to ask!
(edited 4 years ago)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by lutfiaa
Hello, I am currently doing the Engineering Foundation Program at UoN. Do let me know if you've got questions to ask!

Hi, just wanted to ask how lenient is the engieering foundation year at Nottingham. Im doing maths, biology and chemistry and the offer was BBB but i think I might get BCC or worst case BCD instead. Would they still accept me or not?
Original post by harris358
Hi, just wanted to ask how lenient is the engieering foundation year at Nottingham. Im doing maths, biology and chemistry and the offer was BBB but i think I might get BCC or worst case BCD instead. Would they still accept me or not?

I think its unlikely tbh, even tho the offers for students on this course are BBB the average student for this program still achieves AAB at A-level, so whilst I don't know I suspect its not very likely.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
I think its unlikely tbh, even tho the offers for students on this course are BBB the average student for this program still achieves AAB at A-level, so whilst I don't know I suspect its not very likely.

tbh I think they'll let you in with a BBC/ABD but not a BCD. But then again, it all depends on the admission team. I'm an international student and all intl students needed to get in was 5Bs in IGCSE. However, I didnt have a minimum of 5Bs. So I gave in my AS Level grades to sort of like compensate the 5Bs of IGCSE.
Reply 5
Original post by lutfiaa

Hello,

I have applied for the foundation program (for various reasons), and id assume that you have finished your year zero but I'd just like to ask:
How was the course in terms of workload, contact time, facilities available, pass mark?
How is UoN, as I have heard good things about it?
What is the SU like?
What is Nottingham like as a city: culture, nightlife?

I apologise for the bombardment of questions :redface:

Kind regards
Original post by togs11
Hello,

I have applied for the foundation program (for various reasons), and id assume that you have finished your year zero but I'd just like to ask:
How was the course in terms of workload, contact time, facilities available, pass mark?
What is the SU like?

Kind regards

1) NA - (i havent done this course, although I have studied engineering at Notts)
2) This is a very broad question, uni wherever you go is what you make it. But Notts will provide everything you need to enjoy it here, has very good reputation, employability etc as well.
3) SU - The facilities are top notch, bars, restaurants and cafes about the uni as well, free hopper buses, hundreds of societies and sports teams. The SU-HQ is also good, staff on hand if you need to speak to them (although tbh, only club committee members really do this), nice looking building as well. Freshers: pretty normal experience, has lots of fairs and freebies, everything you'd expect.
4) Culture: hard to say, a mix, its a community so it has a bit of everything. Most people form their own group of friends within it. Nightlife, plenty to go on every night of the week, caters to pretty much all types of music at different clubs. At the biggest nights, its quickest entry with tickets which can be a minor hassle, but does speed up queuing.
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
1) NA - (i havent done this course, although I have studied engineering at Notts)
2) This is a very broad question, uni wherever you go is what you make it. But Notts will provide everything you need to enjoy it here, has very good reputation, employability etc as well.
3) SU - The facilities are top notch, bars, restaurants and cafes about the uni as well, free hopper buses, hundreds of societies and sports teams. The SU-HQ is also good, staff on hand if you need to speak to them (although tbh, only club committee members really do this), nice looking building as well. Freshers: pretty normal experience, has lots of fairs and freebies, everything you'd expect.
4) Culture: hard to say, a mix, its a community so it has a bit of everything. Most people form their own group of friends within it. Nightlife, plenty to go on every night of the week, caters to pretty much all types of music at different clubs. At the biggest nights, its quickest entry with tickets which can be a minor hassle, but does speed up queuing.

Thank you very much for your reply :smile:
Original post by togs11
Hello,

What is the SU like?

Kind regards

Ive also applied for the foundation year engieeirng at notts, what was your grade offer if you dont mind me asking
Reply 9
Ive also applied for the foundation year engieeirng at notts, what was your grade offer if you dont mind me asking

Yeah sure. I am predicted BBC :smile:
Original post by togs11
Yeah sure. I am predicted BBC :smile:

Ah nice and same, where else have you applied for?
Reply 11
Ah nice and same, where else have you applied for?

Fairs.

Ive applied to Swansea, Portsmouth, UWE, and NTU.

Hbu?
Original post by togs11
Fairs.

Ive applied to Swansea, Portsmouth, UWE, and NTU.

Hbu?

Sheffield, Manchester, Swansea and Aston
Reply 13
Sheffield, Manchester, Swansea and Aston

Top stuff. I've heard Manchester is pretty good for engineering.
Original post by togs11
Top stuff. I've heard Manchester is pretty good for engineering.

Yeah it is but its too close to home, I either want to go Sheffield or Notts
Reply 15
Yeah it is but its too close to home, I either want to go Sheffield or Notts

For sure. Sounds pretty decent either way :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Wondering if anyone out there reading this is currently doing or are applying to the 'Engineering and Physical Sciences Foundation'?

Yh im also applying for it this year with the offer of ABC or BBB
Original post by lutfiaa

Does the personal statement have to be related to engineering or can it be related to a subject you want t peruse after the engineering foundation programme ?
Original post by bhawanabala
Does the personal statement have to be related to engineering or can it be related to a subject you want t peruse after the engineering foundation programme ?

I would think if its a degree that directly follows on from the foundation programme it should be fine.
Original post by mnot
I would think if its a degree that directly follows on from the foundation programme it should be fine.

Even if it’s archietcture do you think ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending