The Student Room Group

A level A* students, what's the secret behind you success?

I do Chem, Physics, (both OCR A) Maths (Edexcel)

When did you start revising?
How did you plan revisions? Do you make notes etc? What was your method of revision? Approximately how many past papers did you do?
Reply 1
Original post by ash.2000
I do Chem, Physics, (both OCR A) Maths (Edexcel)

When did you start revising?
How did you plan revisions? Do you make notes etc? What was your method of revision? Approximately how many past papers did you do?

Hiya, my son did very similar A-levels, Chem, Biology, Maths and Philosophy. He started revising in the middle of February but I am not sure about the particulars, sorry (there were a lot of notes in the end though!!!). I know that there was a shortage of past papers due to (I think) the new curriculum or specification(?), so he did not do an excessive amount.
Original post by Wilma W.
Hiya, my son did very similar A-levels, Chem, Biology, Maths and Philosophy. He started revising in the middle of February but I am not sure about the particulars, sorry (there were a lot of notes in the end though!!!). I know that there was a shortage of past papers due to (I think) the new curriculum or specification(?), so he did not do an excessive amount.

Mid Feb, that's very impressive - especially maths, cuz it's a headache.
Reply 3
Method of revision - do questions. The exam consists of questions, the exam determines your grade therefore ability to do questions determines your grade.
If I did badly on some topics I did questions on that topic until I got better at it. Use the resources available to you to answer the questions.

I got serious about revision after mock exams, from March onwards basically. But I'm sure there were GCSE students doing more past papers and putting in more hours than I was. I've never been the type to revise six hours a day for days on end.

In fact I only seriously revised two out of the four subjects I was taking.
Reply 4
Original post by ash.2000
Mid Feb, that's very impressive - especially maths, cuz it's a headache.

I must quickly add that after he received his offer this time last year he dropped Maths, but still did an AS in it in May.
(Most probably he also found it a headache...)
How do u guys revise chemistry?
I need chemistry revision tips I’m only getting Cs and Ds but need a C for uni and it’s so hard and I think I’ve lost interest like I don’t have the motivation to revise bc it’s so difficult
Original post by Study656
I need chemistry revision tips I’m only getting Cs and Ds but need a C for uni and it’s so hard and I think I’ve lost interest like I don’t have the motivation to revise bc it’s so difficult

Im getting the same grades for chem, it is hard to get a good grade

Quick Reply

Latest