The Student Room Group

My GCSE Journey- GyG

Hi! My name's Sophie and this is my first post on my Grow your Grades blog. I saw this today and decided that I loved the idea of blogging about my journey with my GCSEs. I've always wanted to write a blog, however, I've never really known where to begin. Now, I've got one!
I am in Year 11 and I am studying English, Maths, and Science (like everyone else :banana:), along with BTEC Dance, BTEC Business, History and Spanish. Once I finish my GCSEs, I hope to study English Lit and Language and History at A-Level, and then go on to get a Law degree.
I am very ambitious and hope to get 9's in all my GCSEs, however at the moment I am only achieving 6's and 7's. Hopefully, this will improve over the next few months. Time will tell, I suppose. :nyan::nyan:
Just as a quick side note, by the way, I love to use emojis :nutcase:! This is just as a warning, you should expect a lot!!
Now, back on topic.
On top of doing my GCSEs, I also play piano and violin and am doing my Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award. As well as this, I box and I do air rifle shooting. This means that I am often out and have also got instruments to practice which is always fun- especially when I lose the will to live and smash my face into the piano. It's quite satisfying actually :nuts:.
Today, I have a whole day free to study. Thus far, I have done none. I am queen of procrastination. However, I promised myself that I would do some and therefore, I am going to begin to study English Language Paper 2 because I didn't do very well on this paper in my mocks. I'm pretty sure it dragged me down by a whole grade, which was a shame. Anyway, now I'm going to go and actually study, rather than keep trying to put it off. :parrot:
See you next time!
Sophie
:banana2::badger::bl:
Hi Sophie! It's good to see you're joining us here on GYG :smile: Looking at your subjects, you've got quite a good balance between the traditional academic subjects and practical subjects, and your extra-curriculars are quite interesting - please tag me!
Original post by emilynxlan
Hi Sophie! It's good to see you're joining us here on GYG :smile: Looking at your subjects, you've got quite a good balance between the traditional academic subjects and practical subjects, and your extra-curriculars are quite interesting - please tag me!

Sure! I'm quite new to this, though, how do I tag you? It's probably pretty simple lol
Original post by .Sophie-Mae.
Sure! I'm quite new to this, though, how do I tag you? It's probably pretty simple lol

You just use the @ symbol before a name
Hi again! I'm back. Before I begin to update you on my GyG journey, I just wanted to say that I probably won't have a specific schedule for when I blog. If I did, I'd probably not end up sticking to it anyway lol because as much as I try not to be, I am very unorganised. :borat:
Anyway, back to the main part of this blog.
Last time I posted, it was the day before New Years Eve and while I managed to get some studying finished, I didn't accomplish a great deal as I had to help my Mum in taking my younger siblings to see my Dad. For my New Year, I went to a house party at my friend's. It was my first ever New Year without my Mum, which was both exciting and kind of scary. Why is it scary, you ask? Well, it just means that now I am growing up and becoming more independent and doing things on my own without her. My Mum has been my rock throughout my whole life and the thought of growing up and leaving her is terrifying. To put it into perspective for you, imagine you are in a very small space with something which absolutely petrifies you, with no escape. The only thing you can do is stand and hope everything will be okay. That is how it feels, not fun. :s-smilie:
I had a great New Years, however. One friend at the party in the early hours of the morning decided to have some chamomile tea due to a lack of normal tea. Now I bet you are wondering what was so memorable about this, well, he made his chamomile tea with milk and stirred it with a tea spoon that had mayonnaise on it. Gross! :yucky::cheeky: Luckily, my friend's older brother poured this disgusting mixture down the sink and made him another, which he still insisted on having milk with.
I stayed at my friend's until later on New Years day when I had to go home and clean the house as my Mum's boyfriend's sons were coming over. This was the first time they had come to stay with us as they live an hour away with their Mum. The two sons stayed with us for two nights, with my friend also coming to join us on the second night. We had an amazing time! Both of the brothers were around me and my sister's age, so we got on well.
Now here I'm going to take a quick pause to explain the situation with my siblings as it can be quite complicated. I am one of 6 children from my Mum, but one of 13 from my Dad. I am the eldest of my Mum's 6, and the second eldest of my Dad's 13. My Dad had a cheating habit while with my mum so some of my half siblings are the same age as my 'full siblings'. The sister which I just spoke of is the 4th eldest of my Dad's children and the 2nd eldest of my Mum's. She is a year and a half younger than me and due to this rather small age gap we have a lot of similar interests. Anyway, back on topic.
For the past couple of days I have been at my friend's house as her parents went away for a few days so she was home alone with her older brother, who is almost 18. We had a couple of other friends over too, which was fun.
I am now, however, back at home and about to begin writing for my English spoken language assessment, which our whole year is being forced to redo. :backstab::mob: This is rather annoying as I thought my first one was good, but seeing as pretty much everyone else in my year didn't do very well, we all have to redo it. Fortunately, I saved all my research from last time, which means I have half of it done. I'm writing mine on sexism. It is a subject which I feel very passionately about and find very interesting. It even allowed me to look into the psychology of men and women, which was fascinating.
Before I sign off and go and actually do my work, I've been thinking today about what my new years revolution should be. I never end up doing them, however I do try! Usually my new years revolution is to eat less chocolate because I eat A LOT of chocolate! However, this year is a big year. I have my GCSEs and then I'm going to do my A-levels. This year I have decided that these will be my new years revolutions:
:banana2:Go to the gym. I dropped off nearly all my dance and I need to keep fit so I want to start going to the gym.
:banana2:Eat healthier. Most of the time, I don't eat one vegetable in a day, let alone five, so I want to start dropping off the sweets and cakes for something healthier.
:banana2:Stop procrastinating. I've said it before, I am the queen of procrastinating and I think it's time to step down from the thrown and start doing more work.
:banana2:Revise more. I used to revise all the time in Year 10 and now I'm in Year 11, I just don't seem to do it. I know this is because guys from college and even my own year group have started noticing me more, while they didn't before, and so I've been going out a lot but my school work is more important and I want to get back on top of it.
:banana2:Get control of my anger. I'm going to be completely honest here, I have a poor temper and I bottle things up at school and often take it out on my siblings. I want this to stop, so I am going to find healthier ways to release my anger.
:banana2:Get back into writing. When I was younger, I used to write all the time. I have a decent amount of work which has been published in books, however, I just don't seem to write as much anymore and I want that to change. Writing was one of my favourite things to do once and I want to start again.
That's all of my new years revolutions. I hope you liked the bananas I used for bullet points lol. What are your new years revolutions (assuming someone is actually reading this :awesome:) ? I have already begun one of my revolutions! I begun to write a story on Wattpad. How good it will be, however, is another question. I haven't published anything yet as I have only begun with a little opening note from me where I have introduced some of the characters a bit and their muses. I don't usually use muses but I am lacking motivation a bit recently and so as a gentle starter I decided to use muses. I don't know if I will definitely publish it yet, however, it is a start back into writing more and I hope I will continue it!
That's all for now anyway!
See you!
Sophie
:nyan::yeah::rofl3:

Spoiler

@emilynxlan
my new years resolution is to grow awareness of and get more people talking about menstrual health :smile:
my new years resolution is to grow awareness of and get more people talking about menstrual health :smile:

That seems really interesting! I can't say I know loads about that topic but I think it is an important thing to know about!
Hi! I'm back. :wavey:
Last time I posted, I spoke about my New Years Revolutions and I am glad to say that I have been fulfilling some more of them! Last Friday, I made a revision time table which I have actually managed to stick to for the past week. This, I have to say, is a personal best for me because usually I make revision time tables and then just never end up sticking to them. However, I do still put the revision to the very last minute of the day, which is something I should probably stop doing so that I can actually get into bed before 11:30.
This week, I also put in my application for the sixth form at my sister's school and went to the sixth form evening at my own school. The evening at my school was particularly interesting as all my teachers were constantly asking me not to leave and one physically pulled me over to look at her stand! It's nice to feel wanted. :clap2:
Also, my Mum met my boyfriend. It went pretty well which was nice because he's the first guy that I've introduced to my Mum as my boyfriend. He's been over to mine now a few times and I have to say, it feels good being able to bring him over and not having to hide. :h:
In two weeks, I have mocks at school again. I'm not looking forward to those especially since on the Monday after, I have my first ever real GCSE exam for Business. I am terrified. :worm:
Now, however, I am going to get back to revising for English as is timetabled on my sheet.
Thanks for reading!
See you!
Sophie
:dancing2::hello::yeah:
@emilynxlan
Back again! :hello:
I haven't got much to say for this week, I've been revising still but have had to break away from my revision timetable for a bit as it is mock exam week so I revise every night for whatever exams I have the next day. Yesterday, I had a business mock exam in preparation for the real exam next week (it's earlier than my other exams as business is a BTEC). :ahhhhh:Today, I had 3 spanish mock exams- reading, writing and listening- and then a history mock. It was horrible doing a whole day of exams! :cheeky: Tomorrow, I have my last mock, history. Then, I can relax a bit before getting back into my usual revising routine for Sunday.
Outside school, I've got a fair amount going on as it is my best friend's 16th birthday tomorrow, which she is having a party for on Saturday, and then it is my boyfriend's birthday on Sunday, his party is next weekend. In violin, I am slowly making progress towards grade 5 and in piano I am now able to take a bit of a break until after my GCSEs when I will begin grade 6, so I can play whatever pieces I want. :nopity:I am also nearly done with my air rifle shooting competition, with only one round left, I'm expecting y results in a few weeks. Last I heard I was in 2nd place and considering I missed a round, I'd say that's pretty good. My shooting instructor has full confidence that I will be able to get into 1st by the end of the competition. :groovy:
That is pretty much it for now. I'd tell you the tea going on between my sister's friend and one of my friends, however, I think it's a bit childish and will most probably blow over by tomorrow- these things usually do. :colonhash:
Anyway I'll stop blabbering now. :blah:
See you!
Sophie
:ciao::blow::creep:
@emilynxlan
Hey! :aetsch:
Its been a rather eventful week. :daydreaming: All of my mock exams went quite well. :^_^: Today I had my first real exam for my Business BTEC which our school makes us take. :colonhash: I did well I think because I did loads of revision over the weekend and over the weeks before for it. :five:
Now this is the more interesting part in my opinion, my personal life has been, how shall I put it...all over the place. On Thursday, I discovered, via my younger sister and Mum, that my boyfriend had cheated on me with the exact girl I had been telling him I was worried about. So, I broke up with him immediately. He spent the next day trying to get me to get back with him to which he was told to get lost. :ciao: I'm not sure what he thought he was doing but I refuse to stay in a relationship with someone who clearly doesn't care about me, especially seeing as he had done it before. :banghead:Today, I messaged him to try to arrange giving him back his shirt which he had given to me and instead of being mature and agreeing to meet me, he was awkward about it and tried again, in vain, to get me back and ended up telling me to keep the shirt and burn it if I so pleased- which is a popular option among my friends and family. :party:Therefore, this is what I shall do. :woohoo:
That is all for now anyway,
See ya!
Sophie
:chicken::eek4::groovy:
@emilynxlan
Hi Sophie! I'm back from my disappearance :groovy:

Hope you did well in the exam - sounds like you've prepared well!

Boooooo cheating booooo. You're too good for him, he doesn't know what he's lost. :aetsch: His shirt would make good rags too!
Hi Sophie! I'm back from my disappearance :groovy:

Hope you did well in the exam - sounds like you've prepared well!

Boooooo cheating booooo. You're too good for him, he doesn't know what he's lost. :aetsch: His shirt would make good rags too!

Thank you! He's making a bit of a reappearance now begging to get me back. It's a shame too as I was doing such a good job at beginning to move on but it's all gone down the drain since he began messaging me again. I know I'm only young but I think he was the closest thing I will experience to love at this age and it's quite difficult to keep telling him no when there's such a big part of me wants to take him back. I know it's for the best though that I don't take him back. He's not worth losing the study time or another upset. :tongue:
Hi! :aetsch:
Sorry, it's been a couple of weeks since I last posted.
Last week was half term and if I am going to be completely honest, while I did study, I didn't do half the amount of work I had wanted to do because when it came to it, I was a bit burnt out and just wanted to be lazy. :dontknow:
This week has been the first week of term 4 and I am hoping to get back to working again. :excited:
Tonight, I had my parents evening. This year, however, they chose to do it slightly different to how they usually do parents evening. The evening begun with an extended school day as we had to stay behind an extra hour :bawling: for talks from heads of departments about what we needed to do for those subjects, a talk from the head of sixth form, a talk from the careers adviser and one from the attendance officer. This was followed by the receiving of our recent non-core mock results in an envelope. I got a 5 in history and Spanish and a level 2 distinction in both enterprise and dance. I got a 5 on Spanish as we were all made to do the foundation paper to see if we would be allowed to go onto the higher paper, which I have now been allowed to do. I got a few marks away from a 6 in history as I stupidly missed a 20 mark question at the back of one of the papers as I didn't see it- better in the mock than the real thing I suppose. :colondollar: I am quite happy with my results for enterprise and dance. :banana: After this, we were given disgusting pizza and chips from the school canteen. They were horrible! :cheeky:
Then we had to "entertain ourselves" for 45 minutes while our parents had a similar meeting with our teachers to the one which we had just received.
We then had meetings with our individual subject teachers in which we got 3 things which we needed to improve on for our exams. In all of my meetings, my teachers said they expected me to get a 7 or 8 or even 9 if I continued to work the way I do, which was great news! :rofl3:
Finally, I got to go home, where I helped my best friend with her English.
In my personal life, nothing much has happened to be honest. I got asked out by a guy a couple of times but I turned him down because I want to focus on my exams. My ex keeps messaging me very now and again saying he wants to get back with me and he is sorry he cheated but it was just a mistake, but that's over as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to be treated that way. :argh: Other than that, everything has been pretty quiet to be honest.
Anyway that's all for now.
See ya!
Sophie
:dancing2::h::rofl:
@emilynxlan
Sounds like a parents evening from hell! Geez 😟
Sounds like a parents evening from hell! Geez 😟

Yeah definitely! :rofl:
Hi!
Last time I posted was 4 weeks ago. It's been rather a long time since I last posted and boy has it been hectic!
Firstly, I had my mocks. I am still waiting on some of my results but I have some back. I got a 6 in maths- which I am not overly proud of. I got an 8 in my English Language, which I am really proud of! Finally, I got a 9 on physics and biology and a 7 in chemistry. I haven't yet had my combined grade for science or my literature mark back but I'm hoping to receive them soon.
Then my family went into self-isolation as my little brother was coughing at school. He is fine now, it was nothing but a cough as far as we are aware thus far as it has been 10 days and he has not had any other symptoms and the coughing has stopped.
On my last day, a lot of students were not in school as most had gone into self-isolation. It was quite sad looking back on it now because a lot of us had our last day without even realising it was going to be our last day and so we didn't make the most of our time.
Fast forward a few days and the country effectively goes into lock down.
In this lock down, as GCSEs are now cancelled, I have not had much studying to do. I won't know if I need to resit anything until I get my grades back in July. I have no doubt in my mind that I will probably have to resit some, if not all. I will be resitting any subjects in which I feel I didn't get a fair grade. As I go to an under-performing school, who don't always have lots of confidence in my ability, my grades could come out as anything. I'm more than happy to resit though. It will give me the chance to actually do the exams, to get that anxious feeling of hoping I have done well and knowing I have done everything I can to get the grades I want. It will also mean my grades will give me a greater sense of achievement as I will have actually sat the exams, unlike the smaller sense of achievement I will now have.
In terms of studying, I only have to finish some course work for BTEC business and other than that, our teachers have put online some things to get us started with our A-Levels. For A-level, I have chosen English Literature, history and -depending on which school I go to- English Language or RE.
As well as my own studying, I have taken over 4 of my siblings' education at home. I teach my 7,8, 10 and 13 year old siblings. My 13 year old brother has severe autism so teaching him can be difficult, however. I teach them english, maths, a language (spanish for 3 of them and french for one as spanish isn't offered at her new school, which she will be attending in september), PE, art and history. It is probably the most stressful thing I have ever done, but I like to know I am helping. With my 10 year old sister, I have started to look at Macbeth with her and started looking at some more complicated maths, to try to help her when she starts her GCSEs.
I have also dyed the bottom of my hair red. It looks really cool and suits me rather well.
Anyway that's all from me.
See ya!
Sophie
:biggrin:
@emilynxlan
Hi! :biggrin:
I've only gone and done it again! It's been ages since my last post! However, in my defence, it has been a crazy couple of months.
For the last two months, while in quarantine, all I have done pretty much is study.:cool: I have had lots of work set to get started on my A-Levels. My only problem has been that I have been receiving work from 2 schools, rather than one because I applied for 2 and still haven't decided which I want to go to. This also means I have been doing work for 6 A-level subjects because I am taking different subjects at both of the schools. :colonhash:
As well as this, I have been trying to get healthier by exercising once a day, drinking more water and eating my 5-a-day. This was going well for about a month when I kind of forgot I was doing it and reverted back to my old unhealthy habits. Although, thinking about it now, I should probably try to get back on top of that again and stay on top of it.:unsure:
Additionally, I have been watching a bit more netflix. I watched Riverdale with my younger sister and got back into watching Vampire Diaries. This was a nice way to relax at the end of the day. :rolleyes:
The other day, I had an English Masterclass with the local university. It was aimed at year 12's but they were kind enough to let me join. It was very interesting! :ahee: We looked at Othello, which I've never read so I spent the night before getting as good of an understanding of it as I could using some videos on YouTube.
That's pretty much it really. The weather is beautiful too, so I am going to round this up.
See ya!
:aetsch::borat::burnout:
@emilynxlan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending