The Student Room Group

Is anyone doing an NHS apprenticeship or knows about them?

Hey, I’m 16 and I’m in college doing two a-levels and one btec. after a recent hospital visit I learnt that the NHS provides apprenticeships and after finding that out it made me realise that’s what I want to do.

As I have so little knowledge on this I was wondering if someone could shed some light on it (I’d google it but I prefer hearing it from people) and tell me if I could drop out of college with only 9 GCSE’s in the scenario I could actually find an apprenticeship.

Side note: I know there are different types of apprenticeships and I’m curious to see if I could be accepted into one right now, not saying that I would drop out of college to do one though.
This is something I’d love to do as well however coming from a tiny island I would need to travel to the mainland to complete this! I shall come back to see the reply to your answer :smile:

Do you know what part of the NHS you would be interested in working in??
Reply 2
Original post by Manxie101
This is something I’d love to do as well however coming from a tiny island I would need to travel to the mainland to complete this! I shall come back to see the reply to your answer :smile:

Do you know what part of the NHS you would be interested in working in??

I’ve looked at a list of the types of apprenticeships that would be available and there’s a few that I like the idea of especially midwifery but I’m not completely sure yet :smile:
Hi!
I’m starting a clinical apprenticeship with the NHS soon. Let me know if you have any questions.
Original post by Bronskibeats
Hi!
I’m starting a clinical apprenticeship with the NHS soon. Let me know if you have any questions.

which one/#
Original post by Blackstarr
which one/#

It’s a Level 2 HCA apprenticeship.
Reply 6
Hi!

I have a few 😂
1. Was it difficult getting your apprenticeship?
2. What band are you on?
3. What do you mean by clinical? What will you be doing?
4. Would you say this is a better option that university considering unis are giving 3k grants for medical courses?
5. Is the pay good?
Sorry if those are too intrusive 😂
It’s a Level 2 HCA apprenticeship.

ok
Original post by Daek
I have a few 😂
1. Was it difficult getting your apprenticeship?
2. What band are you on?
3. What do you mean by clinical? What will you be doing?
4. Would you say this is a better option that university considering unis are giving 3k grants for medical courses?
5. Is the pay good?
Sorry if those are too intrusive 😂

No it wasn’t difficult, but there were multiple interviews and they were quite lengthy.
As it’s a Clinical support apprenticeship, it’s apprenticeship wage. Just over 16k for 25+. After the 18mths you’ll go to band 3. I’m hoping to then go on to TNA.
It’s healthcare assistant jobs on a specific ward for the whole duration.
Not sure it’s a better route as I’m starting right at the bottom as I never did a levels (I’m classed as a mature student 😐)
Reply 9
Hi, I was wondering if you know around what times of the year these NHS apprenticeships become available. I have found one I want to do and I know its offered in my area but I cant find any available ones to apply for
Reply 10
Original post by Drewd380
Hi, I was wondering if you know around what times of the year these NHS apprenticeships become available. I have found one I want to do and I know its offered in my area but I cant find any available ones to apply for

I assumed if there was a vacancy on the website then you could apply whenever, I’m finding out more on Thursday so I can update you then? :smile:
Original post by Drewd380

Try contacting the learning and development team at the trust you want to work. They’ll know when any apprenticeships are likely to be recruited for. I’ve found them very helpful 😊
Original post by Daek
Hey, I’m 16 and I’m in college doing two a-levels and one btec. after a recent hospital visit I learnt that the NHS provides apprenticeships and after finding that out it made me realise that’s what I want to do.

As I have so little knowledge on this I was wondering if someone could shed some light on it (I’d google it but I prefer hearing it from people) and tell me if I could drop out of college with only 9 GCSE’s in the scenario I could actually find an apprenticeship.

Side note: I know there are different types of apprenticeships and I’m curious to see if I could be accepted into one right now, not saying that I would drop out of college to do one though.

Hi Daek, it's great you're looking into apprenticeships!

The NHS offer 4 different levels of apprenticeship, they do intermediate apprenticeships (study for GCSE equivalent qualifications, no entry requirements), advanced (Study for a-level equivalents, GCSE entry requirements), higher (study for foundation degree qualifications, typically a-level entry requirements), degree (study for a degree, a level entry requirements).

It really depends on what apprenticeship you are looking to do, with 9 GCSE's I'd say you stand a good chance of securing one (advanced apprenticeships will typically either require passes in Maths and English or 5 GCSE's at grades 9-4 (A*-C) including english and maths.

Also I'd like to say that I would not recommend dropping college before you find an apprenticeship because they can be really hard to get (especially in the NHS) so you can apply for apprenticeships whilst you are at college and you can then drop it once you have secured an apprenticeship. It is important to do this as if you don't manage to find one, you can be doing nothing for an extended period of time, it is always vital to have a fallback.

Take a look at this link here - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/study-and-training/apprenticeships-traineeships-and-cadet-schemes

Please upvote me!
Reply 13
Original post by Hoc est Bellum
Hi Daek, it's great you're looking into apprenticeships!

The NHS offer 4 different levels of apprenticeship, they do intermediate apprenticeships (study for GCSE equivalent qualifications, no entry requirements), advanced (Study for a-level equivalents, GCSE entry requirements), higher (study for foundation degree qualifications, typically a-level entry requirements), degree (study for a degree, a level entry requirements).

It really depends on what apprenticeship you are looking to do, with 9 GCSE's I'd say you stand a good chance of securing one (advanced apprenticeships will typically either require passes in Maths and English or 5 GCSE's at grades 9-4 (A*-C) including english and maths.

Also I'd like to say that I would not recommend dropping college before you find an apprenticeship because they can be really hard to get (especially in the NHS) so you can apply for apprenticeships whilst you are at college and you can then drop it once you have secured an apprenticeship. It is important to do this as if you don't manage to find one, you can be doing nothing for an extended period of time, it is always vital to have a fallback.

Take a look at this link here - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/study-and-training/apprenticeships-traineeships-and-cadet-schemes

Please upvote me!

Hey I actually have the form with me right now for applying, it’s asked me if I had any convictions and I was cautioned when I was 15, I said I have been cautioned but I don’t know the exact date like the form is asking, should I spend valuable weeks applying for my criminal record or admit that I don’t know and just apply anyway?
Original post by Daek
Hey I actually have the form with me right now for applying, it’s asked me if I had any convictions and I was cautioned when I was 15, I said I have been cautioned but I don’t know the exact date like the form is asking, should I spend valuable weeks applying for my criminal record or admit that I don’t know and just apply anyway?

If the closing date is too soon and you may miss the deadline. then just say you don't know, otherwise it is worth applying for the record.
Reply 15
Original post by Hoc est Bellum
If the closing date is too soon and you may miss the deadline. then just say you don't know, otherwise it is worth applying for the record.

There isn’t a specific deadline as I need to have volunteer work before I can apply for anything important so I’m applying for volunteering for 12 weeks but those gaps for volunteering might fill up because people want work experience so I just don’t know what to do also it’s really difficult to request my record

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending