The Student Room Group

Retake a year and still study medicine

Guys I’m moving houses from London to Newcastle and currently in Year 12 I don’t know whether I should retake the year in my new school or should I just carry on with year 13 if I was to redo year 13 I think it will be difficult for me to understand as I’ll be new and teachers won’t know me that well to help me with my UCAS application
Any advice please
If you were my son/daughter I would advise restarting yr 12 as they may not teach the topics in the same order so you might end up with gaps in your knowledge, or they may use different exam boards. For medicine you need excellent grades and anything that might affect that should be avoided. It might also help with finding work experience to boost your application as you will be 18 by the start of the summer after your second yr 12 so it should be easier to get your foot in the door at relevant places.
Reply 2
Original post by ReadingMum
If you were my son/daughter I would advise restarting yr 12 as they may not teach the topics in the same order so you might end up with gaps in your knowledge, or they may use different exam boards. For medicine you need excellent grades and anything that might affect that should be avoided. It might also help with finding work experience to boost your application as you will be 18 by the start of the summer after your second yr 12 so it should be easier to get your foot in the door at relevant places.

Thank for the advice but I’m not sure if universities would accept this excuse to redo the year
I think I would agree with you that a move is perhaps unlikely to be accepted as extenuating circumstances for taking your A-levels over 3 years rather than 2 (which is usually viewed as something that would weaken an application, if not be cause for outright rejection). They might even specifically consider in the context of, you will have to move away from home to your uni, and will need to do well in those studies, and for the clinical phase of medicine you will be needing to move around to different locations for your placements and still need to cope with your workload. This kind of disruption seems to some extent to be part and parcel of medical training...however might be able to offer some more informed advice?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest