The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

MPhil Cambridge

Hi, I applied for a PhD at Cambridge this, but me and my potential supervisor decided that I should withdraw this year and reapply next year but for an MPhil instead and then go on to do the PhD. The supervisor is really supportive, thinks its a great idea and is willing to supervise me for the MPhil and PhD.

I already have an MSc from a top RG uni, in which I will graduate with a Merit but I believe the MPhil will provide me with better experience for PhD research. Do you think my Merit would be enough for this course? The standard entry requirements are a high 2:i at undergrad.

Also would I still be eligible for 1 3 ESRC funding if I already have a Masters???
Thank you!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by socphd
Hi, I applied for a PhD at Cambridge this, but me and my potential supervisor decided that I should withdraw this year and reapply next year but for an MPhil instead and then go on to do the PhD. The supervisor is really supportive, thinks its a great idea and is willing to supervise me for the MPhil and PhD.

I already have an MSc from a top RG uni, in which I will graduate with a Merit but I believe the MPhil will provide me with better experience for PhD research. Do you think my Merit would be enough for this course? The standard entry requirements are a high 2:i at undergrad.

Also would I still be eligible for 1 3 ESRC funding if I already have a Masters???
Thank you!

Merit is fine, especially if you've got a willing Supervisor. No idea about 1+3 though, does it not say on their eligibility webpage?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Amazing thank you!

On the Cambridge website it states: If you have sufficient prior training, e.g. a Master’s qualification and/or advanced training in social scientific methods, you may be able to start a three-year doctoral programme straight away (3 years in total); alternatively, you may be encouraged to complete a Master’s programme first, before moving on to your doctorate.

And the ESRC’s website seems to only have residential requirements and that the Master’s course should deliver the majority of the training requirements.

My current MSc was taught and I didn’t take any research methods, so maybe if I can prove that it hasn’t given me the research training the MPhil will I will be okay
Reply 3
Original post by socphd
Amazing thank you!

On the Cambridge website it states: If you have sufficient prior training, e.g. a Master’s qualification and/or advanced training in social scientific methods, you may be able to start a three-year doctoral programme straight away (3 years in total); alternatively, you may be encouraged to complete a Master’s programme first, before moving on to your doctorate.

And the ESRC’s website seems to only have residential requirements and that the Master’s course should deliver the majority of the training requirements.

My current MSc was taught and I didn’t take any research methods, so maybe if I can prove that it hasn’t given me the research training the MPhil will I will be okay

Hi! I just wanted to know if you found out if you are still eligible for a 1+3 if you already have a masters?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending