The Student Room Group

First car mercedes or mini

I don’t know if the insurance company’s will allow me to drive a Mercedes (A or B Class) even though I’m going to be a new driver on the roads it’s always been my first choice.
2nd choice is Mini.

Do you know insurance company’s who will do it for cheap and allow me to drive the Mercedes?
Reply 1
Original post by mdnz99
I don’t know if the insurance company’s will allow me to drive a Mercedes (A or B Class) even though I’m going to be a new driver on the roads it’s always been my first choice.
2nd choice is Mini.

Do you know insurance company’s who will do it for cheap and allow me to drive the Mercedes?

use GoCompare or similar to get some quotes on a model you like. Mercedes will ridiculously expensive for a new driver to insure but if you have the money for a merc you may be able to afford it. I'd recommend the mini if i'm honest. they're good cars both to insure and to drive. As someone who's been on the road for just over a year i can assure you that you're never done learning and no matter good a driver you think you are, theres always going to be new challenges so larger more powerful cars like a merc may get you into trouble purely through not having the experience, better to work your way up. Best advice i can give financially is buy your insurance exactly 3 weeks or so before you plan to start driving the car. For example buy the insurance on Jan 10th for the policy to begin on jan 31st. Planning ahead makes you look more responsible so insurance companies give money off. unfortunately i only happened to speak to a financial advisor about this after buying my insurance so the advice will only be useful when this policy is up. Good luck, drive safe and remember: EVERYONE on the road is an idiot, treat them as such and never assume they'll do the smart thing. Give them enough space to be dangerous and that danger won't hurt you.
Reply 2
Original post by mdnz99
2nd choice is Mini.

I agree with AJCope; use a comparison website such as gocompare, or compare the market. You can get quotes on cars you don't own yet by putting in the reg of a car you're thinking about buying or just selecting the make and model.

It's definitely possible to get insured on a Mini or Merc. My first car was a 1.4L Mini, I got insured with More Than for about £1000, with a black box. Make sure you look at the engine size, go for a small engine if you're not worried about the power of the car (under 1.6L), and the insurance will cost way less and more companies will be willing to insure you.
Also, the cheapest insurance without a black box was twice as expensive as the cheapest insurance with a black box. I also ended up getting around £50 back for driving nicely. Might be a bit annoying, but black boxes are definitely worth it when you're a new driver, at least for the 1st year.

Add a parent to the insurance plan if they have a good history, or see if you can get multi-car insurance as that can get you big discounts. I added my brand new Audi to my mums Direct Line insurance plan (1 year and 3 months after passing my test), for just £700, without a black box. Considering it's nearly twice as fast as my old Mini that's a really good deal.

Things such as parking sensors, alarms, increasing your voluntary excess, dash cams and having a safe place to park your car all decrease the price.
Reply 3
So you're not getting the Fiat 500 then?
Reply 4
Original post by IWMTom
So you're not getting the Fiat 500 then?

No I don’t really like it😂 too small and I’m 5ft9 so I need car that I can be comfortable in
Reply 5
Original post by jennaq
I agree with AJCope; use a comparison website such as gocompare, or compare the market. You can get quotes on cars you don't own yet by putting in the reg of a car you're thinking about buying or just selecting the make and model.

It's definitely possible to get insured on a Mini or Merc. My first car was a 1.4L Mini, I got insured with More Than for about £1000, with a black box. Make sure you look at the engine size, go for a small engine if you're not worried about the power of the car (under 1.6L), and the insurance will cost way less and more companies will be willing to insure you.
Also, the cheapest insurance without a black box was twice as expensive as the cheapest insurance with a black box. I also ended up getting around £50 back for driving nicely. Might be a bit annoying, but black boxes are definitely worth it when you're a new driver, at least for the 1st year.

Add a parent to the insurance plan if they have a good history, or see if you can get multi-car insurance as that can get you big discounts. I added my brand new Audi to my mums Direct Line insurance plan (1 year and 3 months after passing my test), for just £700, without a black box. Considering it's nearly twice as fast as my old Mini that's a really good deal.

Things such as parking sensors, alarms, increasing your voluntary excess, dash cams and having a safe place to park your car all decrease the price.

Thank you so much!! Will be looking into them websites and researching
Reply 6
Original post by AJCope
use GoCompare or similar to get some quotes on a model you like. Mercedes will ridiculously expensive for a new driver to insure but if you have the money for a merc you may be able to afford it. I'd recommend the mini if i'm honest. they're good cars both to insure and to drive. As someone who's been on the road for just over a year i can assure you that you're never done learning and no matter good a driver you think you are, theres always going to be new challenges so larger more powerful cars like a merc may get you into trouble purely through not having the experience, better to work your way up. Best advice i can give financially is buy your insurance exactly 3 weeks or so before you plan to start driving the car. For example buy the insurance on Jan 10th for the policy to begin on jan 31st. Planning ahead makes you look more responsible so insurance companies give money off. unfortunately i only happened to speak to a financial advisor about this after buying my insurance so the advice will only be useful when this policy is up. Good luck, drive safe and remember: EVERYONE on the road is an idiot, treat them as such and never assume they'll do the smart thing. Give them enough space to be dangerous and that danger won't hurt you.

Thank you so much for your help!! And yep will take that into mind about how everyone is stupid on roads ✌🏼
Reply 7
Original post by mdnz99
No I don’t really like it😂 too small and I’m 5ft9 so I need car that I can be comfortable in

Well there goes the stereotype then.
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
Well there goes the stereotype then.

I’m not being stereotypical, if I need a car I need it to be comfortable for me like I said I’m a tall girl for my age and so is my father, I’m going to share with him the car. So I’m thinking about myself.
Reply 9
Hmm... learn a sessner before you take on a jumbo. Doesn't need to be a mini but a Merc is a bit of a tank, plus bloody expensive to write off. Get some experience first.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by mdnz99
I’m not being stereotypical, if I need a car I need it to be comfortable for me like I said I’m a tall girl for my age and so is my father, I’m going to share with him the car. So I’m thinking about myself.

You're hardly a giant hun, but I think you've missed the joke.
if you have it, flaunt it.

if you have the money, buy the Mercedes
Reply 12
Original post by williamho

☺️✌🏼
Reply 13
Original post by williamho

More like if daddy has the money.
I'm always baffled by these threads. Is the parent who is actually paying for the insurance not going to do any research?

"So it's £4K but you said you had quick look on Go Compare? Coolcoolcool."
Original post by Admit-One
I'm always baffled by these threads. Is the parent who is actually paying for the insurance not going to do any research?

"So it's £4K but you said you had quick look on Go Compare? Coolcoolcool."

I know it would be great :tongue:

"Mum, can I get some money for ice cream?"

"How much are they?"

"Ninte...five hundred pound"

"Here's a grand, get me one too"
Reply 16
Original post by StriderHort
I know it would be great :tongue:

"Mum, can I get some money for ice cream?"

"How much are they?"

"Ninte...five hundred pound"

"Here's a grand, get me one too"

Fkn Tories.
How about do some quotes?
Original post by IWMTom
You're hardly a giant hun, but I think you've missed the joke.

lmao
Mini if it's your first.

Quick Reply

Latest