The Student Room Group

A level choices

Hey, I'm thinking about A level physics I don't want to take A level Maths I really enjoy gcse physics, I know it's easy compared to A level, and enjoy learning about the theories and topics such as astrophysics. I'm not amazing at maths I'm targeted a 6 gcse but I'm getting 8/9s in physics do you think I'll be alright without being really good at maths or taking it at A level?
Original post by Will Stephens
Hey, I'm thinking about A level physics I don't want to take A level Maths I really enjoy gcse physics, I know it's easy compared to A level, and enjoy learning about the theories and topics such as astrophysics. I'm not amazing at maths I'm targeted a 6 gcse but I'm getting 8/9s in physics do you think I'll be alright without being really good at maths or taking it at A level?

Yes definitely! As long as you revise it effectively during A Levels :smile:
That's what I wanted to hear! 😂😂 I am just concerned I will struggle with the involved maths
Original post by Will Stephens
That's what I wanted to hear! 😂😂 I am just concerned I will struggle with the involved maths

I don’t take Physics at A Level, so I’m sorry I can’t exactly help you on that but maybe look at the A Level syllabus across exam boards so you’re aware of how much maths is included in physics and the level of it ☺️
Reply 4
omg I'm in the same situation as you!!
I do AQA physics a level, I’m currently in year 13, and maths is a HUGE part of the a level! There still is theory, but there’s far more marks for maths than any of the other sciences. I don’t do a level maths but most of my physics class do and they don’t stop going on about how much it helps them. As much as I’d love to say ‘oh no you’ll be fine just do physics’, there is a great deal of maths involved so you’ll need to think carefully about whether it’s a good idea to do. However, if you’re achieving 8s and 9s in gcse physics, year 12 AS physics is genuinely just gcse equations with extra bits thrown in so you should be fine with that, but year 13 A2 content gets SO SO much more difficult. Hopefully by then you’ll be used to the slightly greater level of difficulty and the maths aspect won’t be a problem.
Reply 6
Original post by Torigracex
I do AQA physics a level, I’m currently in year 13, and maths is a HUGE part of the a level! There still is theory, but there’s far more marks for maths than any of the other sciences. I don’t do a level maths but most of my physics class do and they don’t stop going on about how much it helps them. As much as I’d love to say ‘oh no you’ll be fine just do physics’, there is a great deal of maths involved so you’ll need to think carefully about whether it’s a good idea to do. However, if you’re achieving 8s and 9s in gcse physics, year 12 AS physics is genuinely just gcse equations with extra bits thrown in so you should be fine with that, but year 13 A2 content gets SO SO much more difficult. Hopefully by then you’ll be used to the slightly greater level of difficulty and the maths aspect won’t be a problem.

Do you find it challenging without the benefit of maths? and if you don't mind me asking, what grades do you normally get?
Original post by xoamox
omg I'm in the same situation as you!!

Yeah I'm really weighing up my decision because Im trying to be realistic, I'm doing well in physics gcse and I find the maths in gcse physics easy and I'm mid range maths gcse, and being optimistic im hoping I'll pick up the maths during A level physics because I really enjoy the theory in physics aswell as doing the calculations I just don't enjoy hardcore maths so much where it isn't actually proving anything, do you think achieving my target of a 6 in maths would be sufficient for physics?
Reply 8
If I remember correctly, math work is meant to make up around 40% of the marks, but if you're handling GCSE Physics fine you should be able to get through the A-Level*. It's just more of manipulating equations, handling data and interpreting graphs. Anything that you will have missed by not taking A-Level maths should be covered by your teachers, for example logarithms.

Do consider, though, what you might want to do with an A-Level in Physics down the line. If you're considering university, keep in mind that all engineering or physics/astrophysics courses will require A-Level maths.

*with a bit of hard work
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by nzy
If I remember correctly, math work is meant to make up around 40% of the marks, but if you're handling GCSE Physics fine you should be able to get through the A-Level. It's just more of manipulating equations, handling data and interpreting graphs. Anything that you will have missed by not taking A-Level maths should be covered by your teachers, for example logarithms.

Do consider, though, what you might want to do with an A-Level in Physics down the line. If you're considering university, keep in mind that all engineering or physics/astrophysics courses will require A-Level maths.

Hi thanks for the help, yeah tbh I'm taking physics because I find the theory fascinating and I've always enjoyed it, yeah I am considering uni but I will be going down the Geography route and I thought that A level physics alongside would be a good strong A level and look good for my uni? Am I right😂 I really don't know much about applying or anything
Original post by xoamox
Do you find it challenging without the benefit of maths? and if you don't mind me asking, what grades do you normally get?

Solid A/A* in physics. I got a 9 in GCSE maths and A in GCSE further maths and I’m finding physics pretty challenging just because there’s differentiation and Integration and things which obviously I’ve still got no idea what they are, you just get told to learn the equations. However, it takes a bit more work without a level maths but it’s in no way a necessity to have maths as well as physics
Reply 11
Solid A/A* in physics. I got a 9 in GCSE maths and A in GCSE further maths and I’m finding physics pretty challenging just because there’s differentiation and Integration and things which obviously I’ve still got no idea what they are, you just get told to learn the equations. However, it takes a bit more work without a level maths but it’s in no way a necessity to have maths as well as physics

But overall would you recommend taking maths with it? or is it possible to self teach the mathematical techniques needed in physics?
Original post by xoamox
But overall would you recommend taking maths with it? or is it possible to self teach the mathematical techniques needed in physics?

Since I don’t do maths I can’t recommend taking it (I hate maths with a passion so I’d never tell anyone to take it) but you shouldn’t be self teaching yourself the maths anyway, that’s your teacher’s job. You don’t particularly need to know the complex maths behind deriving equations, it’s generally not even in textbooks but my teacher likes to teach it to us if we do maths already
I am taking both maths and physics and am in my second year of A-Levels. I would say you are able to do a physics A-Level without taking maths however there are people in my classes that don't take math and they struggle with some topics. If you let your teacher know that you struggle with the more complicated maths they should be able to help and offer advice on the bits you need. For the physics in general you need to keep revising in as it is significantly harder than GCSE I got a 9 and though it would be relatively easy but that is not the case. Its an awesome subject to take though and really widens your knowledge on everything practice. I'd defiantly recommend it and wouldn't worry too much about no taking maths too - just something to consider.
Reply 14
Taking maths and physics here. At our school you have to take maths and physics. Being good at maths comes in handy a lot of the time in physics, so not having it would make things very difficult for you. I'd recommend taking A level maths and just putting in a little bit of practice each week into your maths. Really you want to get good at rearranging formulae, the maths in my physics course (OCR B) is quite underwhelming but maybe that's because maths is my strong point xd. I'd recommend just doing lots of past papers in maths- most questions are the same each year just with different numbers, and you can easily recognise and practice these and get a good grade. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest