The Student Room Group

Having a career crisis. Perspectives would be appreciated

I know there are the older TSR members, so I would appreciate their perspectives. Perspectives from younger TSR members also welcome!

I have been in my current job for 9 years, which I got when I graduated. I have had a couple of promotions in the process. Unfortunately I haven't been enjoying my job in the recent years. I don't like the company, I don't like the culture and I'm somewhat disillusioned with the profession itself. It's a Professional Services consultancy role. I feel like a corporate slave and have been wanting to be self employed for years.

I had a horrible year last year being managed by a middle manager who is managed by one of my colleagues. I've never been the one to engage in organisational politics, so what that means is that people who play work politics can get the better of me. It only became a problem last year when the girl who plays the political game joined the team. Since then my role has been hell. Last year I was so stressed, I ended up seeing a neurologist as I started getting migraines.

It brings me to now. I've recently applied for an NHS 111 telephone role because I plan to throw in the towel on my chosen career path. What that means is that I'll have a pay cut of around 15k. I think the NHS 111 telephone role will give me the flexibility I need and will also be the type of role where I can leave work at work. I also have an interest in people and health. It would mean I can finally register my company and focus on my business ideas. One of the set backs that's prevented me from starting my own business is that there would be a conflict of interest with my current role.

I feel like my disillusionment is a classic millennial dilemma. It makes me feel better when I think about it that way haha.

I'm fortunate in that I'm on the property ladder as this is one of the factors that kept me in this role and this company for years. I needed a stable income that allowed me to save and get a mortgage. Recently I've consolidated my monthly outgoings, which will make my lifestyle more manageable when I take a pay cut.

Am I crazy for wanting to jack a career for a call centre role? I've always been one of those people who is career achievement proud, because of the way my parents brought me up, so I need to get past that mental block.
Original post by Anonymous
I know there are the older TSR members, so I would appreciate their perspectives. Perspectives from younger TSR members also welcome!

I have been in my current job for 9 years, which I got when I graduated. I have had a couple of promotions in the process. Unfortunately I haven't been enjoying my job in the recent years. I don't like the company, I don't like the culture and I'm somewhat disillusioned with the profession itself. It's a Professional Services consultancy role. I feel like a corporate slave and have been wanting to be self employed for years.

I had a horrible year last year being managed by a middle manager who is managed by one of my colleagues. I've never been the one to engage in organisational politics, so what that means is that people who play work politics can get the better of me. It only became a problem last year when the girl who plays the political game joined the team. Since then my role has been hell. Last year I was so stressed, I ended up seeing a neurologist as I started getting migraines.

It brings me to now. I've recently applied for an NHS 111 telephone role because I plan to throw in the towel on my chosen career path. What that means is that I'll have a pay cut of around 15k. I think the NHS 111 telephone role will give me the flexibility I need and will also be the type of role where I can leave work at work. I also have an interest in people and health. It would mean I can finally register my company and focus on my business ideas. One of the set backs that's prevented me from starting my own business is that there would be a conflict of interest with my current role.

I feel like my disillusionment is a classic millennial dilemma. It makes me feel better when I think about it that way haha.

I'm fortunate in that I'm on the property ladder as this is one of the factors that kept me in this role and this company for years. I needed a stable income that allowed me to save and get a mortgage. Recently I've consolidated my monthly outgoings, which will make my lifestyle more manageable when I take a pay cut.

Am I crazy for wanting to jack a career for a call centre role? I've always been one of those people who is career achievement proud, because of the way my parents brought me up, so I need to get past that mental block.

Hi there,

Perspective from a younger TSR member here.

My thoughts are that I admire you for saying enough is enough and moving on with life. Your desire for a stable income and job security and achievement is completely normal; I think everyone wants to make their parents proud and live a comfortable life. However, if I was in your position, I wouldn’t stand for the work politics either and I honestly don’t think I could ever work somewhere that values nepotism and/or manipulation, as opposed to rewarding hard work and transparency. So, I think you’ve absolutely made the right call, and if you want to run a business then go for it. It’s hard work and a rough journey with ups and downs, but if you’re in a financially stable place where you can afford this, and you’re willing to put the effort in, it’s an amazing experience and you should be excited to follow that dream and give it a go. Yes, you’re giving up a stable job and salary... but it’s a job you don’t enjoy where you’re part of an intricate hierarchy and from what you’re saying, you feel like a cog in a machine where you have little say over how fair things are and how equal people are treated. So, I wish you the best of luck with your business, perhaps review how things are as you go along and you’ll quickly discover whether or not your business is something you’d be happy to do full time if you wanted to quit the NHS job. However, having that job for the time being whilst working part time on your business seems like a sensible plan, and as long as you’re financially astute and e.g. still can sort pensions, insurance etc even if you did choose to work full time for your business, then as long as you have clear, realistic and sensible plans then go for it and try something that interests you and that you’ll enjoy. Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Mona123456
Hi there,

Perspective from a younger TSR member here.

My thoughts are that I admire you for saying enough is enough and moving on with life. Your desire for a stable income and job security and achievement is completely normal; I think everyone wants to make their parents proud and live a comfortable life. However, if I was in your position, I wouldn’t stand for the work politics either and I honestly don’t think I could ever work somewhere that values nepotism and/or manipulation, as opposed to rewarding hard work and transparency. So, I think you’ve absolutely made the right call, and if you want to run a business then go for it. It’s hard work and a rough journey with ups and downs, but if you’re in a financially stable place where you can afford this, and you’re willing to put the effort in, it’s an amazing experience and you should be excited to follow that dream and give it a go. Yes, you’re giving up a stable job and salary... but it’s a job you don’t enjoy where you’re part of an intricate hierarchy and from what you’re saying, you feel like a cog in a machine where you have little say over how fair things are and how equal people are treated. So, I wish you the best of luck with your business, perhaps review how things are as you go along and you’ll quickly discover whether or not your business is something you’d be happy to do full time if you wanted to quit the NHS job. However, having that job for the time being whilst working part time on your business seems like a sensible plan, and as long as you’re financially astute and e.g. still can sort pensions, insurance etc even if you did choose to work full time for your business, then as long as you have clear, realistic and sensible plans then go for it and try something that interests you and that you’ll enjoy. Best of luck!

Thank you! that's really encouraging.
Reply 3

You're carefully doing just the right thing. It sounds exciting and liberating. I don't know why companies take on and then tolerate people who make life hell for the steadiest employees.
Reply 4

Older TSR member here.
I think your plan is anything but crazy. You seem to have thought things through and put yourself in a position where you can support your lifestyle while developing a new business and that is a very sensible approach. Any new business takes time to build up and you have to have a means of supporting yourself while things develop - either another job or savings.

You have already proved you can "do" a professional, graduate career and have every right to be proud of that. I have always tried to tell my (now adult) children that the whole point of education is to ensure you have choices, and you lose that if you feel compelled to stay in a job just because of the prestige factor.

You have the opportunity to change direction, develop your business ideas while maintaining sufficient income to live and I suspect you will regret it if you don't try.

Best of luck
Reply 5
Original post by tewtor
You're carefully doing just the right thing. It sounds exciting and liberating. I don't know why companies take on and then tolerate people who make life hell for the steadiest employees.

Thank you for the encouragement. Liberated is already how I feel mentally. Now it’s a case of getting that job.
Reply 6
Original post by marple
Older TSR member here.
I think your plan is anything but crazy. You seem to have thought things through and put yourself in a position where you can support your lifestyle while developing a new business and that is a very sensible approach. Any new business takes time to build up and you have to have a means of supporting yourself while things develop - either another job or savings.

You have already proved you can "do" a professional, graduate career and have every right to be proud of that. I have always tried to tell my (now adult) children that the whole point of education is to ensure you have choices, and you lose that if you feel compelled to stay in a job just because of the prestige factor.

You have the opportunity to change direction, develop your business ideas while maintaining sufficient income to live and I suspect you will regret it if you don't try.

Best of luck

Thank you for such encouraging words and for sharing your wisdom.

Quick Reply

Latest