The Student Room Group

What was the reasoning behind post-1970s immigration into the UK?

What as the reasoning behind "recent" immigration into the UK? Was it really needed and why was it allowed?

Or was it just an engineered invasion?

(FYI, this post is coming from the son of former non-EU/no-EEA/non-European immigrants who was born in the 90s in London, not a "racist far-right" person)
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

1970's?? I thought we was in the 1800's? :hmmmm:
the collapse of the empire
Original post by Baron of Sealand
the collapse of the empire

What? Post WWI?

But I was told that my parents entered Europe (and the UK) in the 80s (1980s that is, not 1780s or 1880s)...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
1970's?? I thought we was in the 1800's? :hmmmm:

What? What are you on about?
Original post by EtonWorldDoppler
What? What are you on about?

I think you been on the drink a little too much there partner
What? Post WWI?

But I was told that my parents entered Europe (and the UK) in the 80s (1980s that is, not 1780s or 1880s)...

The collapse didn't happen over one day. Post-WWI the Empire reached its peak so I'm not sure why you think it collapsed after that.

It's after WWII when the empire really started collapsing.
Also, the invention of commercial flights and their increased availability. Globalization. Information transfer throughout the world.
I think you been on the drink a little too much there partner

What are we now - California Highway Patrol?!
What are we now - California Highway Patrol?!

In these parts, I'm an outlaw, and I have a bounty on ma head. You better keep quiet bout this or imma have to shoot ya.
In these parts, I'm an outlaw, and I have a bounty on ma head. You better keep quiet bout this or imma have to shoot ya.

You can't shoot me, I'm the President. This is China and I'm protected.
You can't shoot me, I'm the President. This is China and I'm protected.

You mean yer the guy that looks like Winnie The Pooh? Hahaha Lenny is gonna love this :rofl:
You mean yer the guy that looks like Winnie The Pooh? Hahaha Lenny is gonna love this :rofl:

Are you suggesting that I, the Chinese President, look like "Winnie the Pooh"?
Are you suggesting that I, the Chinese President, look like "Winnie the Pooh"?

Yes sir

Am I banned from China now?
So I know it's ridiculous to think so now, but the UK actually used to be a country people wanted to live in!
Yes sir

Am I banned from China now?

The People's Republic of China welcomes all tourists, especially those from the United States and similarly wealthy nations.
What as the reasoning behind "recent" immigration into the UK? Was it really needed and why was it allowed?

Or was it just an engineered invasion?

(FYI, this post is coming from the son of former non-EU/no-EEA/non-European immigrants who was born in the 90s in London, not a "racist far-right" person)

British Nationality Act of 1948-1970 gave equal rights to citizens of Commonwealth countries to reside in the UK therefore causing large migrations form Asia particularly India, China and Pakistan as well as from the Caribbean (Windrush). After a diaspora was established more and more immigrants were attracted.

Your parents may have just came here as economic migrants
lets be clear on 1 fact. China is not part of the Commonwealth

why does people likes to drag China into every conversation ?
Original post by williamho
lets be clear on 1 fact. China is not part of the Commonwealth

why does people likes to drag China into every conversation ?

Lmao
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by User135792468
British Nationality Act of 1948-1970 gave equal rights to citizens of Commonwealth countries to reside in the UK therefore causing large migrations form Asia particularly India, China and Pakistan as well as from the Caribbean (Windrush). After a diaspora was established more and more immigrants were attracted.

Your parents may have just came here as economic migrants

"Economic migrants"?

Wouldn't they have had to had been skilled?

Or did they just waltz into the country, pregnant on the plane and then had kids on British soil which led to a fast track to citizenship?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending