The Student Room Group

Final year exam resits. Maintence Loan

So i'm in my final year of my studies at university and due to health reasons was unable to complete January exams which means i'll be completing resit exams in the summer term.

My current maintence loan is the maximum loan amount (with the deductions for the summer term already applied. - £7,085

Since I will be a student during the summer term, I was wondering how my maintenance loan will be calculated for this final term.

Will it be so that I get the remaining balance:
£7,529 Maximum Loan for full year (2019/2020)
- £7085 Loan already applied to entitlement summary
----------------
£444

or will I be considered a 2020/2021 student for that first term and receive a new amount calculated for one term of the new academic year.
Original post by Mo,
So i'm in my final year of my studies at university and due to health reasons was unable to complete January exams which means i'll be completing resit exams in the summer term.

My current maintence loan is the maximum loan amount (with the deductions for the summer term already applied. - £7,085

Since I will be a student during the summer term, I was wondering how my maintenance loan will be calculated for this final term.

Will it be so that I get the remaining balance:
£7,529 Maximum Loan for full year (2019/2020)
- £7085 Loan already applied to entitlement summary
----------------
£444

or will I be considered a 2020/2021 student for that first term and receive a new amount calculated for one term of the new academic year.

Hello Mo,

We would require a Change of Circumstances from your university to confirm that your course end date had been extended, we would also require the following evidence:

Written confirmation from your university confirming the extended course end date and the reason for the extension
Confirmation from the course tutor/study mentor that your accessing the university facilities, attending tutorials or are having meetings with a mentor or support tutor
What you'll be studying on a week by week basis

Once received and accepted we can award an additional long course loan.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Reply 2
Original post by Lynsey SFE
Hello Mo,

We would require a Change of Circumstances from your university to confirm that your course end date had been extended, we would also require the following evidence:

Written confirmation from your university confirming the extended course end date and the reason for the extension
Confirmation from the course tutor/study mentor that your accessing the university facilities, attending tutorials or are having meetings with a mentor or support tutor
What you'll be studying on a week by week basis

Once received and accepted we can award an additional long course loan.

Thanks, Lynsey.

Hi Lynsey.

I sent this email to the university finance department following your advice and a telephone conversation:

I have been in touch with SFE regarding an extended loan as I am currently taking resit exams and therefore entitled to a long course loan.
They have asked me to contact the internal finance department so you can confirm that I am still in fact a student.

I was wondering if you would be able to confirm this with Student Finance England.
Please do let me know if any further action is required on my end.

Kind Regards,

I received the following response:

Students that are doing summer resits are not entitled to long course loans. Unfortunately SFE have given you the wrong information, sorry we cant help on this occasion

Kind Regards

Can you offer any clarity?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Mo,
Hi Lynsey.

I sent this email to the university finance department following your advice and a telephone conversation:

I have been in touch with SFE regarding an extended loan as I am currently taking resit exams and therefore entitled to a long course loan.
They have asked me to contact the internal finance department so you can confirm that I am still in fact a student.

I was wondering if you would be able to confirm this with Student Finance England.
Please do let me know if any further action is required on my end.

Kind Regards,

I received the following response:

Students that are doing summer resits are not entitled to long course loans. Unfortunately SFE have given you the wrong information, sorry we cant help on this occasion

Kind Regards

Can you offer any clarity?

Hi, in your final year - we only pay up until the end of term.

The Long Course Loan is awarded automatically based on the term dates the university provide. If the university won't change your term dates then you won't be awarded this.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending