The Student Room Group

Proofreading essays

So, I got 2 essays to deliver by Sunday and because I spent the past 15 days working on them I can't concentrate on proofreading. I'm sure I've made lots of grammar mistakes -many complex sentences I think- as I'm not native speaker.

How much will that affect my grades? Is there any platform I can use to scan them? Besides Grammarly which is quite annoying as it corrects only spelling mistakes.

Thanks!
Original post by sworr
So, I got 2 essays to deliver by Sunday and because I spent the past 15 days working on them I can't concentrate on proofreading. I'm sure I've made lots of grammar mistakes -many complex sentences I think- as I'm not native speaker.

How much will that affect my grades? Is there any platform I can use to scan them? Besides Grammarly which is quite annoying as it corrects only spelling mistakes.

Thanks!

Hi sworr :hello:

My biggest tip for proofreading is to make sure you take a break between writing and proofreading. Taking a day away, or even a few hours, can help you detach from the essay and look at it more objectively.

Once you start proofreading, here are a few things that I found really useful during my degree:

-Print it out - Some people find proofreading a lot easier if they print out their work. We read things differently on a screen as opposed to how we do on paper, so it might make it easier to spot any mistakes you have made.

-Read your work multiple times - I found it useful to read my work multiple times, looking for different types of mistakes each time. For instance, I would read my work once and concentrate on grammar. Then I would read my work again and concentrate on sentence structure, then essay structure, then content, then formatting. In this way, you don't have to look for everything at once, and it may be easier to pick up on potential issues in your writing.

-Get a friend to read it - If possible, it may be useful to get a friend to look over your work. They will be able to look at it more subjectively and might spot things you didn't see.

In terms of platforms to use, Grammarly is a great resource, as is Hemingway app. However, don't rely too heavily on these as they may not pick up on everything!

I hope this is useful! Good luck with your essays!

Melissa :five:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending