The Student Room Group

Can I still get into oxford? pls help me to understand the application process in UK

Hello,

I'm from Germany and I am in my final year before going to university. My dream is to study medicine at the university of Oxford but I've just realised that this dream won't happen. It is essential to write the BMAT before applying to Oxford,well...I've missed the deadline for the BMAT test. I was planning to write the BMAT in August 2020 but unfortunately Oxford won't accept this particular BMAT date. Which means that I can't fullfil the application process till the 15.Oct. 2020. There are so many things I don't understand about the application process. Since many German state schools do not consider motivating students to apply for oxbridge, I had to do the whole application research by myself.

I am aware that you have to apply 1 year before your course starts to certain universities. This means that you literally apply before having your A-Level results. In my case I should have applied to oxford in 2019 ( but have had written the BMAT in Nov. 2018), due to the circumstances I faced in 2018/19 it wasn't possible for me to apply for a 2020 entry. Additionally, I preferred applying to an university after having my A-Level results ( Abitur). Since I'm doing my Abitur this year, I therefore have to apply for a 2021 entry. I won't apply for a 2022 entry since medicine takes 6 years to study and I am already 19 ( I will turn 20 in a few months).

I am very desperated and sad about the fact that I won't even have the chance to apply to Oxford this year. I visited Oxford during the open days in 2018 and fell in love with the university. It was so inspiring and wonderful to think about studying at oxford. I've tried to contact students and asked them many questions about the medical course in oxford. I can still not explain how I didn't realise that Oxford wouldn't accept the BMAT result from the august session...Are they still other options for me to get into Oxford? Can I apply to cambridge ( how is the medical course in cambridge? how does the entry requirements differ from oxford?

I would really appreciate ur help!!! I am also sorry for my English grammar..I still have to improve it.
why dont you apply for defer entry 2021, so that you can write your BMAT in 2020 and sent it to them in other to realize you aim ....because slow is the fastest way ...do not give up ...
don't worry i can assist you with the necessary information you need ...
Original post by rena19
I am aware that you have to apply 1 year before your course starts to certain universities. This means that you literally apply before having your A-Level results. In my case I should have applied to oxford in 2019 ( but have had written the BMAT in Nov. 2018)

No, you would have applied to Oxford in October 2019 and sit the BMAT afterwards in November 2019.

I therefore have to apply for a 2021 entry.

Yes. Apply in October 2020, sit BMAT in November 2020, interview December 2020, find out if successful January 2021, start October 2021.

Bear in mind just how competitive Oxford medicine is. Highest applicants per offer in the UK by a big margin (7.97), highest entry standards too. And success rate for EU applicants is markedly lower than for UK students - I don't have medicine specific figures, but look here for overall Oxford figures. https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate-students/current/overall-numbers?wssl=1
Reply 3
Original post by nexttime
Yes. Apply in October 2020, sit BMAT in November 2020, interview December 2020, find out if successful January 2021, start October 2021.

Bear in mind just how competitive Oxford medicine is. Highest applicants per offer in the UK by a big margin (7.97), highest entry standards too. And success rate for EU applicants is markedly lower than for UK students - I don't have medicine specific figures, but look here for overall Oxford figures. https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate-students/current/overall-numbers?wssl=1

I appreciate your quick answer, thank you! The university websites says :
"Wednesday 4 November 2020
Please note,*the University of Oxford will*not*accept BMAT results from the*August sitting*for A100 Medicine.*"

the next accepted date for the BMAT in 2020 is on the 4.th of November. The results of the test will be released by the end of November 2020. So, according to you it would still be possible to apply for the 2021 entry? but the university website explains : "Please note your application will not be considered by the admissions tutors for Medicine (A100 and A101) or Biomedical Sciences if you have not taken the BMAT."

I thought that without the BMAT results before the 15.th of October, I won't be able to apply for medicine anymore.
Reply 4
Original post by rena19
Please note,*the University of Oxford will*not*accept BMAT results from the*August sitting*for A100 Medicine.*"

the next accepted date for the BMAT in 2020 is on the 4.th of November. The results of the test will be released by the end of November 2020. So, according to you it would still be possible to apply for the 2021 entry? but the university website explains : "Please note your application will not be considered by the admissions tutors for Medicine (A100 and A101) or Biomedical Sciences if you have not taken the BMAT."

I thought that without the BMAT results before the 15.th of October, I won't be able to apply for medicine anymore.

It means if you do not take the BMAT, your application will no longer be under consideration. You're fine taking the November BMAT.
Reply 5
Ohhh...I see! omg sorry, I feel so stupid right now haha. you have definitely saved my day! thanks for your patience !!
Reply 6
Original post by collins102
why dont you apply for defer entry 2021, so that you can write your BMAT in 2020 and sent it to them in other to realize you aim ....because slow is the fastest way ...do not give up ...
don't worry i can assist you with the necessary information you need ...

but wouldn't this mean that I will start studying in 2022?
Original post by rena19
but wouldn't this mean that I will start studying in 2022?

if you apply for 2021 entry it will not change to 2022...this means the entry you apply for is same entry you wil enter ...but make sure you write your test before the entry
Original post by rena19

I am 100% certain you can apply as per the timetable I describe above. They just need the BMAT before interview, not before you submit your application.
Original post by rena19
Hello,

I'm from Germany and I am in my final year before going to university. My dream is to study medicine at the university of Oxford but I've just realised that this dream won't happen. It is essential to write the BMAT before applying to Oxford,well...I've missed the deadline for the BMAT test. I was planning to write the BMAT in August 2020 but unfortunately Oxford won't accept this particular BMAT date. Which means that I can't fullfil the application process till the 15.Oct. 2020. There are so many things I don't understand about the application process. Since many German state schools do not consider motivating students to apply for oxbridge, I had to do the whole application research by myself.

I am aware that you have to apply 1 year before your course starts to certain universities. This means that you literally apply before having your A-Level results. In my case I should have applied to oxford in 2019 ( but have had written the BMAT in Nov. 2018), due to the circumstances I faced in 2018/19 it wasn't possible for me to apply for a 2020 entry. Additionally, I preferred applying to an university after having my A-Level results ( Abitur). Since I'm doing my Abitur this year, I therefore have to apply for a 2021 entry. I won't apply for a 2022 entry since medicine takes 6 years to study and I am already 19 ( I will turn 20 in a few months).

I am very desperated and sad about the fact that I won't even have the chance to apply to Oxford this year. I visited Oxford during the open days in 2018 and fell in love with the university. It was so inspiring and wonderful to think about studying at oxford. I've tried to contact students and asked them many questions about the medical course in oxford. I can still not explain how I didn't realise that Oxford wouldn't accept the BMAT result from the august session...Are they still other options for me to get into Oxford? Can I apply to cambridge ( how is the medical course in cambridge? how does the entry requirements differ from oxford?

I would really appreciate ur help!!! I am also sorry for my English grammar..I still have to improve it.

The deadline is over. I missed it too... much regret.
don't worry you will get it next time
Reply 11
Original post by nexttime
I am 100% certain you can apply as per the timetable I describe above. They just need the BMAT before interview, not before you submit your application.

thank you so much! I am relieved that I can still apply for the 2021 entry
Reply 12
Original post by collins102
if you apply for 2021 entry it will not change to 2022...this means the entry you apply for is same entry you wil enter ...but make sure you write your test before the entry

Ahhh I understand. thank you!
you are welcome
Who is eligible for the resit tomorrow?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending