The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Chances of getting funded Cambridge English Literature MPhil?

(edited 2 years ago)
Funding is there, but it's limited. Your best bet is probably college funding. There are two people on my MPhil who were awarded Cambridge Trust matched college funding, out of 12 on the course as a whole.

Not sure if you've had a look here - https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholars/awards/ - but it shows you how many people got awards for MPhil & PhD, and can be useful in terms of numbers - but equally, not useful in that you don't know anything about those applicants application forms and backgrounds.

I didn't get funding, and my supervisor said that it's more common not to get funding at masters level than it is to get it - but there are awards out there - at the end of the day someone has to get them...
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Just as an extra, since being here I've realised a lot of people have taken time out to raise the funds between undergraduate and masters level in order to afford (the ludicrous) fees. So you won't be alone if you did have to wait it out, get experience, and self-fund for a couple of years & reapply if the funding applications don't go as you hope. Best of luck.
Original post by FlexyWex101
Do you know anything about the backgrounds of the people who got the funding in your year? I assume they had perfect profiles?

Honestly, no idea about their backgrounds or applications. They're both great students and I assume they had solid backgrounds, but, it's Cambridge - that counts for many of the postgraduates here who don't get funding, too. Sorry that I can't be much more help specifically in terms of that.

Spoiler

Reply 4
It depends on your application; they said to me that for English they focus on your submitted work and dissertation proposal. Did you have a clear idea of what you wanted to do, and was your submitted work strong, with clear arguments?
Reply 5
Really? Where did you hear that - from the faculty? I think so. My submitted work was strong and my research proposal felt pretty thorough (i.e. on a parity with the examples they show on the website). My problem is that, as I've posted elsewhere, I only got a 2.1 for my overall degree and am worried that that will cancel out my good performance in the written work etc. Who knows though - I'll just have to see!
Reply 6
Original post by FlexyWex101
Really? Where did you hear that - from the faculty? I think so. My submitted work was strong and my research proposal felt pretty thorough (i.e. on a parity with the examples they show on the website). My problem is that, as I've posted elsewhere, I only got a 2.1 for my overall degree and am worried that that will cancel out my good performance in the written work etc. Who knows though - I'll just have to see!

Yeah, you seem pretty clued up on the process. You're gonna be fine, and I wish you the very best of luck!! Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending