The Student Room Group

Scrap the Royal Family

In the wake of 'Megxit' why do we have even a Royal Family anymore? The behaviour of Harry and Megs are an utter disgrace. They are 2 of the most privileged muppets in the entire country yet have the nerve to complain about media intrusion but just like his mother happy for the media when it suits them. I remember his mother talking about charitable causes then going for a £500 haircut, hmmm!!

So they talk about climate change telling us not to fly yet go on private jets every week, screw the lot of them and they think they can be financially sufficient LOLLLL

Couple that with Andrews fetish for young girls its high time the taxpayer didnt have to fund this bunch of idiots.

When talking about benefit scroungers this bunch are the biggest scroungers of them all, time to get rid of them asap.

Scroll to see replies

There still humans but yes they are rich so people feel like they shouldn’t have any problems but they are way better than the rest of the royal family who dont even do anything so either way it doesn’t matter.
(edited 4 years ago)
People didn’t like them yet they care if they are gonna step down... they should be happy.
Original post by borisj
In the wake of 'Megxit' why do we have even a Royal Family anymore? The behaviour of Harry and Megs are an utter disgrace. They are 2 of the most privileged muppets in the entire country yet have the nerve to complain about media intrusion but just like his mother happy for the media when it suits them. I remember his mother talking about charitable causes then going for a £500 haircut, hmmm!!

So they talk about climate change telling us not to fly yet go on private jets every week, screw the lot of them and they think they can be financially sufficient LOLLLL

Couple that with Andrews fetish for young girls its high time the taxpayer didnt have to fund this bunch of idiots.

When talking about benefit scroungers this bunch are the biggest scroungers of them all, time to get rid of them asap.

The best punishment is to force them to continue to live in luxury. Make sure they do all their royal duties and we follow their lives everyday.
Reply 4
None of the attention will stop if they're scrapped. They'd still require protection, too.

And the cost is less than negligible.

I'd still far rather have a Queen than a President.
Original post by Wired_1800
The best punishment is to force them to continue to live in luxury. Make sure they do all their royal duties and we follow their lives everyday.

Surely if we're complaining about them, we should be more interested in getting our taxpayers' money back, not ''punishing'' them.
Pfft, Harry & Megan aren't really members, no wonder they're offski.
Original post by borisj

Treason, their right is ordained by God!!!

Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Treason, their right is ordained by God!!!

Henry VIII is rolling in his grave.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Surely if we're complaining about them, we should be more interested in getting our taxpayers' money back, not ''punishing'' them.

They have already spent the money. They have to work for it.

I feel like most people here are asking a question about how our government and country should be arranged, and you're here deciding whether the country should embark on some weird financial vendetta against this specific group of like ten people you dislike. Maybe make your own thread?

Like we, the UK, created the Royal Family establishment as we know it, and told the Windsors from their respective childhoods that they're entitled to be admired and given lots of money. I think it's completely reasonable to stop doing that. But you seem to have taken it personally that they took the money we gave them? Like excuse me? 0.o
I feel like most people here are asking a question about how our government and country should be arranged, and you're here deciding whether the country should embark on some weird financial vendetta against this specific group of like ten people you dislike. Maybe make your own thread?

What?

The OP’s thread is about scrapping the monarchy and complained about the money used to fund their lifestyles. My opinion is for them to work more and earn the money they have accrued from the public purse.

You should relax a bit. This thread isnt fundamentally about the monarchy system but the issues that members of the Family have caused.
Like we, the UK, created the Royal Family establishment as we know it, and told the Windsors from their respective childhoods that they're entitled to be admired and given lots of money. I think it's completely reasonable to stop doing that. But you seem to have taken it personally that they took the money we gave them? Like excuse me? 0.o

They did take the money and have complained about the responsibilities attached to the money and privilege. I think it is fair to demand that they work more for the money given to them. Also, I don't think the public is against the monarchy, but there is a bit of annoyance that some of the members appear to be hypocrites or trying to do little work for the resources.
Original post by Drewski
I'd still far rather have a Queen than a President.

I second this, our Queen is known globally.
Reply 15
What work do they actually do? Royal Duties? LOLL You consider being flown to the rugby final, opening a museum or getting flown to Sydney for a show, work!! Coupled with having your 2 mill wedding paid for plus being able to do whatever you want whenever you want they do not do work and none of them ever have!
Original post by borisj
What work do they actually do? Royal Duties? LOLL You consider being flown to the rugby final, opening a museum or getting flown to Sydney for a show, work!! Coupled with having your 2 mill wedding paid for plus being able to do whatever you want whenever you want they do not do work and none of them ever have!

I think the impact of the Royal Family is not something that is clearly discussed. The Royal family apparently generates about £8 billion for the public through tourism and other functions. This revenue is debatable, as is it difficult to confirm whether tourist visited the UK, especially London, because of the monarchy.

There are also other benefits that don't get talked about such as the increased interest that events have because of the presence of a Royal. For example, Wimbledon gets swarmed by celebrities, who ache to be seen in the Royal box or pictured close to the Duchesses of Sussex or Cambridge. The charity events also tend to get increased coverage due to the presence.

I think the monarchy is an important function that transcends the cost. I am not a monarchist but I understand their impact. Just be careful what you wish for though. An end of the monarchy can have a major effect to the UK and our standing in the world. What happens when there is no monarch to be the Head of State for Canada or their overseas territories? With Brexit, an end to the monarch will be a major blow to the entire system.

We do. My understanding is that the value they bring to the UK in touism and charitable causes vastly outweighs what we pay in. And if you add private businesses and the media that thrive off the back of them...

Love them or loath them they do brighten the place up.
Original post by ByEeek
We do. My understanding is that the value they bring to the UK in touism and charitable causes vastly outweighs what we pay in. And if you add private businesses and the media that thrive off the back of them...

Love them or loath them they do brighten the place up.

Then you agree we should not be trying to punish them =P

Yeah I'm pretty convinced of the above too. But if we DID want to abolish the monarchy I'd want to do it for the right reasons and in the right way.
Then you agree we should not be trying to punish them =P

Yeah I'm pretty convinced of the above too. But if we DID want to abolish the monarchy I'd want to do it for the right reasons and in the right way.

Would you want a Queen as Head of State or a President like Trump or Putin?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending