Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My work has been put down as under investigation for collusion. The assignment brief for the module says if work is done in groups it must be submitted seperately so we thought the assignment (journall article) was a group task. One week before it was due, I was informed that it was an independent assignment and only the research for the assignment was conducted in groups. So, as we thought it was a group thing and as I done all of the assignment work originally, I kept the article and as they had NO work I gave the other members the work to use as reference. The results were allowed to be the same but everything else had to be changed. The turnitin report is 55% for mine, and 56% and 52% for theirs. The work is worth atleast 70% as my tutor has told me it's a good piece of work. I have a meeting about this now. What can I say to defend myself and make sure my work isn't capped or failed?
errrr99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
One week before it was due, I was informed that it was an independent assignment and only the research for the assignment was conducted in groups. So, as we thought it was a group thing and as I done all of the assignment work originally, I kept the article and as they had NO work I gave the other members the work to use as reference.
Is there any proof (evidence) that you were told (by email hopefully) just one week before the due date?
If it was verbal, who exactly told you that? You will need their cooperation - name and date of when they informed you it was indep work not group work
Good luck
Anonymous #1
(Original post by errrr99)
Is there any proof (evidence) that you were told (by email hopefully) just one week before the due date?
If it was verbal, who exactly told you that? You will need their cooperation - name and date of when they informed you it was indep work not group work
Good luck
Yes, I would be able to get their cooperation. What would their word benefit to this situation if you don't mind me asking?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My work has been put down as under investigation for collusion. The assignment brief for the module says if work is done in groups it must be submitted seperately so we thought the assignment (journall article) was a group task. One week before it was due, I was informed that it was an independent assignment and only the research for the assignment was conducted in groups. So, as we thought it was a group thing and as I done all of the assignment work originally, I kept the article and as they had NO work I gave the other members the work to use as reference. The results were allowed to be the same but everything else had to be changed. The turnitin report is 55% for mine, and 56% and 52% for theirs. The work is worth atleast 70% as my tutor has told me it's a good piece of work. I have a meeting about this now. What can I say to defend myself and make sure my work isn't capped or failed?
I'm a bit confused about the timeline of events. Did you know it had to be independent work before or after you sent your assignment to the others? If you did know before you sent it, you don't really have a leg to stand on - the very definition of what you did in that case would be collusion.
errrr99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, I would be able to get their cooperation. What would their word benefit to this situation if you don't mind me asking?
I was hoping the cooperative person is the teacher/lecturer that set the assignment...I guess not then? It's a bit strange if an assignment was set but everyone gets their info from other students rather than the lecturer or the written instructions with the assignment?

There will have to be a good reason why the written instructions were not followed - maybe they were not very clear, or absent even? All possible reasons why the mis-understanding happened could be explored to help your case
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I'm a bit confused about the timeline of events. Did you know it had to be independent work before or after you sent your assignment to the others? If you did know before you sent it, you don't really have a leg to stand on - the very definition of what you did in that case would be collusion.
Yeah, after I knew it was independent work I sent them the work we were working on. We were working on it as a group but I did most of it. I found out it was independent one week before it was due and as I did most the work they said I could keep that work, so I sent them the work we worked on to use as reference.
Anonymous #1
I was hoping the cooperative person is the teacher/lecturer that set the assignment...I guess not then? It's a bit strange if an assignment was set but everyone gets their info from other students rather than the lecturer or the written instructions with the assignment?

There will have to be a good reason why the written instructions were not followed - maybe they were not very clear, or absent even? All possible reasons why the mis-understanding happened could be explored to help your case
No instructions weren't clear. I attend every lecture and would 100% know it was independent work if I knew it was. The assignment brief says nothing of this, infact it says "if work is to be submitted it groups, it should be submitted seperately". Regardless, we have still accidentely commited collusion as I let them use OUR original group work as reference for their work. I'm so devestated because even the lecturer said the work is good :/
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, after I knew it was independent work I sent them the work we were working on. We were working on it as a group but I did most of it. I found out it was independent one week before it was due and as I did most the work they said I could keep that work, so I sent them the work we worked on to use as reference.
Yeah, unfortunately that's collusion - once you were informed it was independent work, you should have kept your version to yourself. Yes, it is annoying that you weren't told sooner about it, but knowingly sharing your exact assignment is the issue. You can't really defend yourself (as you did collude and it wasn't a mistaken claim by the university), so you need to be genuinely sorry for your actions. Any penalty you receive will be dependent on whether you're a repeater offender and what year you are in. Don't try to make excuses - you can bring up the lack of information as a separate complaint later.
errrr99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No instructions weren't clear. I attend every lecture and would 100% know it was independent work if I knew it was. The assignment brief says nothing of this, infact it says "if work is to be submitted it groups, it should be submitted seperately". Regardless, we have still accidentely commited collusion as I let them use OUR original group work as reference for their work. I'm so devestated because even the lecturer said the work is good :/
I hope your uni is sympathetic, because, after the unclear written instructions, one week's notice is not long enough to dis-entangle when you've already been working as a group (just my opinion). You've done your best to be upstanding and honest about what happened - hopefully the uni gives you credit there.
Please let us know how it goes - only if you have time (fingers and toes crossed)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Yeah, unfortunately that's collusion - once you were informed it was independent work, you should have kept your version to yourself. Yes, it is annoying that you weren't told sooner about it, but knowingly sharing your exact assignment is the issue. You can't really defend yourself (as you did collude and it wasn't a mistaken claim by the university), so you need to be genuinely sorry for your actions. Any penalty you receive will be dependent on whether you're a repeater offender and what year you are in. Don't try to make excuses - you can bring up the lack of information as a separate complaint later.
Thanks.
Anonymous #1
I hope your uni is sympathetic, because, after the unclear written instructions, one week's notice is not long enough to dis-entangle when you've already been working as a group (just my opinion). You've done your best to be upstanding and honest about what happened - hopefully the uni gives you credit there.
Please let us know how it goes - only if you have time (fingers and toes crossed)
Thank you, I will.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (519)
59.86%
Yes- I don't like it (44)
5.07%
No- I want it (245)
28.26%
No- I don't want it (59)
6.81%

Watched Threads