The Student Room Group

Asking about racism in Newcastle/Bristol

I'm from India and I'm thinking of going to either Bristol or Newcastle for uni, except I heard that there are high levels of racism against Indians in these cities....Can someone please clarify this?
hello there

I was born and raised in Britain but my family are from south Asia. I have a lot of ethnic minority friends in Newcastle and they don't seem to have had any racism related issues. I'm not too sure about Bristol but I would say that unfortunately there will always be some bad apples around wherever you go. I certainly wouldn't let this put you off as the vast majority of unis are very ethnically diverse , and there really is something for everyone. Newcastle is especially good for diversity and student satisfaction.

Hope this helps.
Original post by roorav
I'm from India and I'm thinking of going to either Bristol or Newcastle for uni, except I heard that there are high levels of racism against Indians in these cities....Can someone please clarify this?

Contact the Inidan student socs of each. Really doubt it.
https://www.bristolsu.org.uk/groups/indian-society-25ce
https://www.nusu.co.uk/malaysia/activities/societies/a-z/27514/

O dont think theres any serious level of racism and especially not v Indians.
Hi Roorav,

It’s so great to hear that you want to come and study with us here at Newcastle University! Recently, there has been a 65% increase in Indian students studying in the UK so you aren’t the only one to have questions and worries. I, myself, identify as a British Indian and have many friends from India who came to study at Newcastle.

I understand your concerns as moving to a different country is a BIG commitment however, from my experience and on the behalf of my Indian friends I would like to think you will fit in perfectly and that Newcastle could be your home away from home. The city itself is very friendly and you can join societies that might help you meet likeminded people. For example, I was part of the Sikh and Hindu society, and South Asian society where you can meet other university students to celebrate annual Indian events, or go along to the Gurdwara or Mandir together.

I have found Newcastle to be very safe and friendly, and there are so many different things going on here at Newcastle that will make you feel safe, and part of our community.

If you have any other questions, just shout!

Gursharan :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending