The Student Room Group

Is my UG dissertation my intellectual property?

Do I own the intellectual property rights to my dissertation and therefore can upload it online to ResearchGate?

My dissertation was a laboratory-based project where we were attempting to sub-clone putative tumour suppressor genes into expression vectors. This work was then to be used in my project supervisor's future research. Would I need his permission to upload my dissertation too?
I'd check your university policy to be safe.
I know mine has a policy that states that any work produced whilst attending is property of the university itself, so it's worth a look.
Reply 2
Original post by MidgetFever
I'd check your university policy to be safe.
I know mine has a policy that states that any work produced whilst attending is property of the university itself, so it's worth a look.

I know my diss has a declaration stating the Uni gets unlimited rights to reproduce it for academic purposes e.g. 'here's a good/bad example of X'

I don't believe there was anything about publishing of it

Will have to double check
Can you email your supervisor and ask? Given that it seems to have been something you worked on together (or you were at least under his supervision), it would at least be good manners to let him know what you are doing. He can also advise you on any issues relation to IP/authorship.
Original post by CTLeafez
Do I own the intellectual property rights to my dissertation and therefore can upload it online to ResearchGate?

My dissertation was a laboratory-based project where we were attempting to sub-clone putative tumour suppressor genes into expression vectors. This work was then to be used in my project supervisor's future research. Would I need his permission to upload my dissertation too?

My university has the same policy as this:
Original post by MidgetFever

As you benefited from the university staff's supervision and facilities, they may have a 'stake' in any reproduction of your dissertation. If you check, then you can't get caught out.
Also, it's likely that your university will have a free legal advice clinic, it might be worth paying them a visit to see if they can offer any help!

Not to say you have to take legal action, but they'd be able to advise upon whether it's technically your property.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
As you benefited from the university staff's supervision and facilities, they may have a 'stake' in any reproduction of your dissertation. If you check, then you can't get caught out.

Would've thought the £27,000 would counteract you "owing" them for using their facilities (laboratory in my case) and staff's expertise.. :biggrin:
Original post by CTLeafez
Would've thought the £27,000 would counteract you "owing" them for using their facilities (laboratory in my case) and staff's expertise.. :biggrin:

The age old debate of where the fees go. :lol:
Reply 8
Original post by PhoenixFortune
The age old debate of where the fees go. :lol:

Indeed. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending