The Student Room Group

Is there Maths involved in GDL

Hi I’m applying for the GDL programme at City and ULaw and I was wondering if there’s a lot of maths and economics involved.
I’m completing my undergraduate in Philosophy and have completely lost touch with both math and economics and was wondering if that will hold me back?
Also I’m coming from a completely different country’s education system so I’m scared that I might not be able to cope overall
Reply 1
I'm halfway through the GDL at ULaw and so far, there hasn't been any maths or economics involved. The only element remotely close to economics is free movement of goods in EU Law.

There are lots of international students taking the GDL. I would say around half my class did not attend a UK university.

Hope that helps!
Original post by Tash28
I'm halfway through the GDL at ULaw and so far, there hasn't been any maths or economics involved. The only element remotely close to economics is free movement of goods in EU Law.

There are lots of international students taking the GDL. I would say around half my class did not attend a UK university.

Hope that helps!

Thankyou. This was really helpful🙂
Original post by Deekshamay12
Hi I’m applying for the GDL programme at City and ULaw and I was wondering if there’s a lot of maths and economics involved.
I’m completing my undergraduate in Philosophy and have completely lost touch with both math and economics and was wondering if that will hold me back?
Also I’m coming from a completely different country’s education system so I’m scared that I might not be able to cope overall

Hi, I'm a student rep at ULaw in Leeds and I completed my GDL this summer. Thankfully maths does not feature much if at all in the GDL - you are not expected to do any calculations, for example (sadly the same is not true for the LPC!)

As mentioned above, EU law has maybe the most correlation to economics, but you're only really doing an overview of the topics so I'm sure you will be fine. Anything that you need to know is thoroughly explained during the workshops, and I didn't find any of the economic concepts too complicated. And as to your point about coming from a different country's education system, a lot of people on my course had previously studied in different countries and English was not their first language!

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you have any more questions about the GDL.

Jess :smile:
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi, I'm a student rep at ULaw in Leeds and I completed my GDL this summer. Thankfully maths does not feature much if at all in the GDL - you are not expected to do any calculations, for example (sadly the same is not true for the LPC!)

As mentioned above, EU law has maybe the most correlation to economics, but you're only really doing an overview of the topics so I'm sure you will be fine. Anything that you need to know is thoroughly explained during the workshops, and I didn't find any of the economic concepts too complicated. And as to your point about coming from a different country's education system, a lot of people on my course had previously studied in different countries and English was not their first language!

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you have any more questions about the GDL.

Jess :smile:

Hi thanks for your reply!
I was also wondering since the course is for graduates is it structured on more of an independent study system, guidance based or handholding.
I’m afraid that if it demands immense independent study I might begin to feel overwhelmed in such an uncharted territory.
Original post by Deekshamay12
Hi thanks for your reply!
I was also wondering since the course is for graduates is it structured on more of an independent study system, guidance based or handholding.
I’m afraid that if it demands immense independent study I might begin to feel overwhelmed in such an uncharted territory.

Hi,

Yes the course does require independent study, but the work is guided and you are not left totally to your own devices.

Each module is divided into workshops which deal with different topics, so for Criminal law eg, you would have one workshop on Assault, a separate one of Sexual Offences, another on Theft etc. Each of the workshops specifies the reading within the course book, which will help you complete the preparatory tasks. The workshops themselves last two hours and you will go over the main parts of the reading, the preparatory tasks and then complete further unseen tasks in groups or independently, and feedback as a class. Further, each workshop will be followed by a consolidation lecture on the topic. So whilst there is an expectation that you work independently, this does not mean that you are left totally alone to figure out the content for yourself!

I personally found the teaching method really effective, and I managed to do well in my GDL whilst also working part time.

Hope this helps!

Jess
Student Rep ULaw, Leeds
This really helped. I was afraid of being left at my own devices. Thankyou 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending