The Student Room Group

How important are personal statements?

I've written my personal statement and have put a lot of time into it and have written about skills, experience, aspirations, etc.
However I worry the statement may be a bit boring and not personal enough, is this statement worth fretting about or am I worrying to much. I'm applying to law at around the AAB mark.
Thanks so much for your time :smile:
Original post by qwerty123567
I've written my personal statement and have put a lot of time into it and have written about skills, experience, aspirations, etc.
However I worry the statement may be a bit boring and not personal enough, is this statement worth fretting about or am I worrying to much. I'm applying to law at around the AAB mark.

The personal statement is purely there so you can explain to the admissions tutor why you want to study law. That's it, really.

It's one factor in applications, but ultimately, it's your grades that do the talking, and also your LNAT score if you are applying to LNAT universities. A PS may have more influence if your grades are a near-miss.
Original post by Blue_Cow
The personal statement is purely there so you can explain to the admissions tutor why you want to study law. That's it, really.

It's one factor in applications, but ultimately, it's your grades that do the talking, and also your LNAT score if you are applying to LNAT universities. A PS may have more influence if your grades are a near-miss.

Ok, thanks so much for the quick response :smile:
Ok, thanks so much for the quick response :smile:

Personal statements have small chance of being make it or break it; it's not a quantifiable amount...but ultimately in a sea of equal candidates it's your only direct interaction with your future university..also the only thing you can truly influence (right now), on your application.

I would take great care to be proud of it! I feel mine helped me alot... As i geared my ps to the exact uni, i wanted to attend (integrated course elements hinting) and had classmates who were far more qualified grade wise not get offers for the same course!!

the truth is that they don't matter at all except at the most competitive unis. if you are predicted AAB a uni will give you a conditional offer unless your PS is appallingly written

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending