The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography 3rd year, Ask me anything (healthcare related)

Did 1st year @ Exeter

Now final year at Cardiff.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KyleH123
Did 1st year @ Exeter

Now final year at Cardiff.

What’s the degree like?

Are you enjoying it?

What advice would you give to other students who are thinking of going to Exeter to do diagnostic radiography?

And is there anything you dislike about your course?
Why and how did you switch your university?

Thank you for posting in the thread that I started. There was a technical problem with my post not showing, I am in contact with Moderation and hopefully my post will be visible soon. Please do help me then, thank you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Hazzabear
What’s the degree like?

Are you enjoying it?

What advice would you give to other students who are thinking of going to Exeter to do diagnostic radiography?

And is there anything you dislike about your course?

The degree is challenging and placement is full-time hours (37.5).
I am enjoying it but it is a stressful course, but it's certainly possible to have a social life alongside it. 2nd and 3rd years are the ones where you really have to knuckle down. The advice I'd give to anyone studying diagnostic radiography at ANY uni is to enjoy placement and don't feel pressured to know everything from day one. The tricky part of our course by comparison to other NHS courses is that we work with a number of radiographers throughout our placements. Whereas I believe nurses, for example, are assigned one nurse as a mentor for their placement block. This means that you sometimes have to work with staff that don't necessarily click with your personality so I'd advise trying to stick to staff you get on with and allow you to get stuck in as this is how you really learn.

The only dislikes are that sometimes the unis (both cardiff and exeter) struggled to relate some of the teaching to clinical, but in time it all starts to make sense. Also, the organisation of the courses in both unis I was a student at can be subpar.
Reply 4
Original post by Sweet Corn
Why and how did you switch your university?

Thank you for posting in the thread that I started. There was a technical problem with my post not showing, I am in contact with Moderation and hopefully my post will be visible soon. Please do help me then, thank you.

I'm originally from Cardiff so I decided to move back home. Wales also offers free tuition and I saved on accommodation as I moved back with my parents.
I'm originally from Cardiff so I decided to move back home. Wales also offers free tuition and I saved on accommodation as I moved back with my parents.

Hi Kyle,

I was surprised to read from you that Welsh residents get free university tuition. This webpage from July of this year indicates otherwise?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi Kyle,

I was surprised to read from you that Welsh residents get free university tuition. This webpage from July of this year indicates otherwise?

Any UK citizen doing an NHS course in Wales gets free tuition. The catch is that you're obliged to work in Wales for 2 years post-qualification for the NHS.
(edited 4 years ago)
Any UK citizen doing an NHS course in Wales gets free tuition. The catch is that you're obliged to work in Wales for 2 years post-qualification for the NHS.

That is a sweet deal for people who normally reside in Wales.
Reply 8
That is a sweet deal for people who normally reside in Wales.

English, Scottish and Northern Irish can also use it to get free tuition.
English, Scottish and Northern Irish can also use it to get free tuition.

But then they have to move to Wales after university for two years, which can be a problem.
What was the interview for Exeter like? Was it one-to-one or a group interview and what kind of questions did they ask?
Reply 11
Original post by arishaarie
What was the interview for Exeter like? Was it one-to-one or a group interview and what kind of questions did they ask?

exeter was with two of the lecturers - from what i remember it was the usual questions like what do you know about this course, why did you choose it, questions about experience you have (i spoke about my retail experience and linked this in and also the work experience i did in in hospitals)
Reply 12
still happy to answer any qs
hi, im applying for diagnostic radiography and all of my interviews are coming up

what kinds of things were you asked at your inteviews?
also, why do you enjoy being a radiographer?
Reply 14
Original post by makhtar2002
hi, im applying for diagnostic radiography and all of my interviews are coming up

what kinds of things were you asked at your inteviews?
also, why do you enjoy being a radiographer?

why this course, why this course at this uni, what do you know about radiography? think about things from a patients perspective

to name a few:
we get challenged each day on our skills to perform radiography on a variety of patients
we don't struggle to gain employment
career progression is great
the technology we use is awesome
we are the first people to see a patient's pathology
we work together as a team
That’s super helpful, thanks!!
I messaged you, didn’t receive a response though..
Does anyone here know the danger & impact of AI (artificial intelligence) has on radiography?
Reply 18
Original post by starshine909
I messaged you, didn’t receive a response though..

just replied
Reply 19
Still can answer any Qs :smile:
(Original post by starshine909)
Does anyone here know the danger & impact of AI (artificial intelligence) has on radiography?

unlikely for the foreseeable future as the human aspect of the radiographers job is huge

Quick Reply

Latest