The Student Room Group

GCSE Science Practical

Any advice on the chemistry, biology and physics science practicals?
I'm in top set mixed with other sets. But can I also have some general tips? Thank you so much.
Original post by jznraa567
Any advice on the chemistry, biology and physics science practicals?
I'm in top set mixed with other sets. But can I also have some general tips? Thank you so much.

The main advice is to learn every aspect of the practical. You will need to know what the independent, variable, and control variables are. As well as a method, diagram, hypothesis, equation if necessary, an explanation, and a possible results table. You can learn these through the revision guides such as CGP, Primrose kitten, FreeScienceLessons, bitesize, or Seneca. They are all good resources to look at, it just depends on your learning style.

When you begin to learn the practicals, study them alongside the other content. For example, don't jump to the paper 1 practicals in biology to paper 2 in chemistry. It might make it more confusing for you in the exam and stressful! How are you currently learning the practicals?

When I was studying for my GCSEs, I learned the practicals by making mind maps for every practical. On the back of the page, I would also have questions that the exam board might have asked me - some questions ranged from 2 markers to the 6 markers.
Original post by Hazelly
The main advice is to learn every aspect of the practical. You will need to know what the independent, variable, and control variables are. As well as a method, diagram, hypothesis, equation if necessary, an explanation, and a possible results table. You can learn these through the revision guides such as CGP, Primrose kitten, FreeScienceLessons, bitesize, or Seneca. They are all good resources to look at, it just depends on your learning style.

When you begin to learn the practicals, study them alongside the other content. For example, don't jump to the paper 1 practicals in biology to paper 2 in chemistry. It might make it more confusing for you in the exam and stressful! How are you currently learning the practicals?

When I was studying for my GCSEs, I learned the practicals by making mind maps for every practical. On the back of the page, I would also have questions that the exam board might have asked me - some questions ranged from 2 markers to the 6 markers.

Thank you so much for your reply! Will the upcoming practical exams be based on practicals I have done in the first year of my GCSE course as well as the second? I am currently in year 11. Should I do those mind maps for all of the practicals so far? My teacher said that the they could throw completely new practicals out at us. I am studying the WJEC GCSE (Wales).

Thank you for the reply!
Thank you so much for your reply! Will the upcoming practical exams be based on practicals I have done in the first year of my GCSE course as well as the second? I am currently in year 11. Should I do those mind maps for all of the practicals so far? My teacher said that the they could throw completely new practicals out at us. I am studying the WJEC GCSE (Wales).

Thank you for the reply!

Have you seen your exam boards specification before? If so, all the practicals will be listed there. They will not throw out a random one which is not in the specification - as there are way too many to know!
Original post by Hazelly
Have you seen your exam boards specification before? If so, all the practicals will be listed there. They will not throw out a random one which is not in the specification - as there are way too many to know!

Thank you very much.
As I have not fully completed the specification for year 11 yet (only January), will they do a practical we have covered so far (throughout year 10 and 11)?
Thank you very much.
As I have not fully completed the specification for year 11 yet (only January), will they do a practical we have covered so far (throughout year 10 and 11)?

There’s a chance, yes.

The examiners do not know how you’re learning the specification so they will include any practical from their list.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hazelly
There’s a chance, yes.

The examiners do not know how you’re learning the the specification so they will ibcoude any practical from their list.

Sorry I didn't type my question correctly. I was supposed to write "haven't" instead of have. Besides I think you've answered my question! Ok, I'll make sure to look at all of the practicals then! Thank you so much for answering my questions.
Really appreciate it!
Sorry I didn't type my question correctly. I was supposed to write "haven't" instead of have. Besides I think you've answered my question! Ok, I'll make sure to look at all of the practicals then! Thank you so much for answering my questions.
Really appreciate it!

That's fine, we all make mistakes!

Do you also have the revision guide, if so, that will have all the practicals for you to look at?
Reply 8
Don’t spill acid in the floor.
Original post by Deggs_14
Don’t spill acid in the floor.

Haha I'll remember that! lmao
Reply 10
Haha I'll remember that! lmao

I was just joking :biggrin:
I'd recommend watching videos of the practicals online or on youtube beforehand so you have a vague idea of what you're doing.
Original post by Deggs_14
I was just joking :biggrin:
I'd recommend watching videos of the practicals online or on youtube beforehand so you have a vague idea of what you're doing.

hahaha i know
thanks so much (:

Quick Reply

Latest