The Student Room Group

I failed my first year 12 mock exam

I am in year 12 and had my first mock, I feel Luke I’ve done really bad and I’m so ashamed because I did revise.
I got:
A philosophy
C English Literature (close to a B)
and I did disastrously bad in History with an E
Is it normal to get such a low grade at this period and is it possible to still end up with a B, and can you please give advice on how to structure essays or any history tips.
I don’t know if I should be worried or not but I’m really upset.
You absolutely have time to turn it around! Your other subjects look great, there’s obviously just a bit of an issue with your History. You’ve got loads of time to fix it, but your first step is looking at what went wrong. Was all of your issue with essay structure?
Original post by clueIxss
You absolutely have time to turn it around! Your other subjects look great, there’s obviously just a bit of an issue with your History. You’ve got loads of time to fix it, but your first step is looking at what went wrong. Was all of your issue with essay structure?

I think it was mainly the structure, but I did way better in Tudor history than Russia. I’d be fairly okay with the grade I got for Tudor history but combined with Russia it made what I got look really awful. I am just wondering on how I’d structure it, and at this point is it normal to get an E?
Original post by acheloisina
I think it was mainly the structure, but I did way better in Tudor history than Russia. I’d be fairly okay with the grade I got for Tudor history but combined with Russia it made what I got look really awful. I am just wondering on how I’d structure it, and at this point is it normal to get an E?

You’re bound to do less well than you hoped at this stage- it’s your first go at a real exam paper and it’s just to see where you are and what you need to improve on. Can I ask what the exam involves? I did History A-Level and I’m just wondering if it’s the same types of questions (a question looking at the content and provenance of sources and comparing, as well as some general essay questions).
Original post by clueIxss
You’re bound to do less well than you hoped at this stage- it’s your first go at a real exam paper and it’s just to see where you are and what you need to improve on. Can I ask what the exam involves? I did History A-Level and I’m just wondering if it’s the same types of questions (a question looking at the content and provenance of sources and comparing, as well as some general essay questions).

Yes, it is those kind of questions in which you are talking about source and content questions, sometimes it can be a simple question where you just use your own contextual knowledge or a source question- I particularly find the source question really challenging and they said only provenance is for the Russian history source but I don’t know how to structure it.
Yes, it is those kind of questions in which you are talking about source and content questions, sometimes it can be a simple question where you just use your own contextual knowledge or a source question- I particularly find the source question really challenging and they said only provenance is for the Russian history source but I don’t know how to structure it.

Well, the best thing you can do is separate it into content and provenance. This is how I would always structure my essays:

For content, look at the question and see if you can find 2 or 3 things that the question asks you for. Once you’ve got your quotes, write down the point you’re trying to make with your first bit of evidence. Then, write down the quote (don’t pick something really long- wastes time in an exam!) and explain how it shows your point. After you finish your explanation for every point, link back to the question! Use specific language from the question, it’s not repetitive- it just shows you’re engaging with it and you properly understand what the question is.

For provenance, you’re using the background of the source (purpose/audience/date/author/etc.) to explain why the source is valuable or not. With that, make another 2-3 points with the evidence. I usually started it by giving the bit of evidence e.g. “The source was written in...”. Then you explain the significance of this bit of evidence (e.g. what was going on at the same time that could’ve influenced the author’s point?) and what it means for how valuable the source is for commenting on [question title] (again using language from the question is always good!). Hope this helps!
Original post by helicopterbrawl
No mate it's not normal to be getting an E unless bad grades are normal for you. You gone done fnked up haven't you. E is crap, plain and simple. That's why it's an E. You should be upset, it means you care which translates into doing some friggin work.
A in philosophy is good though. C ain't great mate but idk what you're aiming for. Might be good for you.

There's two parts to history, exam technique and exam content. If you screwed up because you didn't know the content (you said you revised so this shouldn't be the case) then simply revise the content. Get a textbook. Read it. Then try use active recall. Hodder education textbooks are good imo.

If your exam technique is garbage, i.e. you don't know how to structure your essays and stuff. Then work on that. Go to your teacher. Ask them how do I structure my essays. They will have already done a lesson on that most likely. So pay attention. Make sure you understand how to write an essay that gets good marks. Understand the marking criteria. Then do your homeworks that they set where they ask you to write an essay. If you don't you won't practise and you'll do bad in the exam. Again.

Not going to protect your feelings and say E is ight for this time in the course cuz it ain't. Most schools go over content once and then maybe a little for revision. That's it. You're done with that stuff that you've covered in history already and you clearly don't know how to get good marks if that came up. So fix your life.

I know it’s crap, I’ve spent hours crying. I’m trying to fix it. I emailed my teacher and it wasn’t the content, because it was evident that I revised: it was my structure. I got a B in Tudor History, I know that still isn’t the best but I can progress from there. It was the structure of my Russian history source that let me down, I know the content: I just need to work on how to structure my essay. I know I’m a failure and I didn’t really need to hear it from someone else online but okay
I know it’s crap, I’ve spent hours crying. I’m trying to fix it. I emailed my teacher and it wasn’t the content, because it was evident that I revised: it was my structure. I got a B in Tudor History, I know that still isn’t the best but I can progress from there. It was the structure of my Russian history source that let me down, I know the content: I just need to work on how to structure my essay. I know I’m a failure and I didn’t really need to hear it from someone else online but okay

Lool, I feel bad. Is a bit harsh. But if it's not content then it's not too deep. You'll be able to fix it if you just do about two practise essays get them marked and actually work on the feedback. The mocks are made so you can fix that stuff, so just do the work and you'll be fine. Are you doing communist states? Idk how your school determines predicted grades. Most just use the results of the exams at the end of year 12. So fix it before then to make sure your predicted grade is fine then everything is cool.

It's not really healthy to be spending hours crying over. Though its not my place to lecture you, in regards to your general welfare, probs would consider getting on top of that whole mental health stuff because maybe things run deeper then your E in history. Only advice I have is stabilising your sleep wake cycle can be helpful for anxiety regulation. Wake up at the same time, sleep at the same time and eat at the same time everyday. Google it for more if relevant.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending