The Student Room Group

What University Societies Are You Part of?

Just wondering what everyone does in their spare time when they're not knuckled down studying. Or if there are any odd ones you'd heard of?

I've joined quite a few, but find it quite hard to stick to them all. My main ones are videogaming (on committee), LawSoc Netball, Airsoft and Jiu-Jitsu

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I signed up for loads in my first week then never went to any of them bar one bandsoc jam night, which was just a bunch of indie ponces tryna sound like Arctic Monkeys. binned it
Original post by gjd800
I signed up for loads in my first week then never went to any of them bar one bandsoc jam night, which was just a bunch of indie ponces tryna sound like Arctic Monkeys. binned it

Ouch :lol:
Aye, I haven't had great experiences with band nights either haha. My uni's RockSoc was pretty decent but their band gatherings sucked, they all wanted to play a bunch of Deathcore stuff. Just wasn't into it.
Reply 3
Economics, Maths and Actuarial Science. I mostly stick to departmental ones.
Nintendo (Surprisingly active and probably one of the best on campus), ACS, Labour (hopefully joining soon), Hip Hop and hopefully debating.
Reply 5
Original post by MidgetFever
Ouch :lol:
Aye, I haven't had great experiences with band nights either haha. My uni's RockSoc was pretty decent but their band gatherings sucked, they all wanted to play a bunch of Deathcore stuff. Just wasn't into it.

I knew and didn't like the lad running the rock and metal thing at our place so avoided it haha. had better craic just going the music pubs in town :laugh:
Reply 6
Guitar, Quiz, History, Astronomy are the ones I joined. Automatically on the physics society because I do it

Only ones whose events I've been to have been quiz and history
Not at uni yet but I’m probably gonna join all so I can stop being so socially anxious and realise human beings won’t think I’m an evil witch and wouldn’t mind if I introduced myself
I just go to a boxing training club nothing else
I created my Uni's Biological Society so was also its first President. :h:

I'm also an Officer in a University Scheme Freemason Lodge. *conspiracy theories intensifies*
(edited 4 years ago)
None. I went to the society thingy they have in the first week for about 5 mins to register with the uni which happened at the same time, but i just felt incredibly out of place. I didn't understand the purpose of them and still don't. I went to one event and it was jist a bunch of people discussing contemporary pop culture. Zzzzzz.
Original post by IH8Studying
Not at uni yet but I’m probably gonna join all so I can stop being so socially anxious and realise human beings won’t think I’m an evil witch and wouldn’t mind if I introduced myself

You do realise you have to pay for them and there's usually like 200 not like 10.
Haven't been at university for years, but:

Oxford University Conservative Association
Oxford Nightlife
Schools Plus, Oxford Hub
IntoUniversity
Oxford University Student Union Council
Doctor Who Society
Social Services Society, HKU
University Hall, HKU
Student representative, Faculty of Education HKU
Queer Straight Alliance, HKU

I usually participated in organisations outside of university more.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by NotNotBatman
You do realise you have to pay for them and there's usually like 200 not like 10.

I don’t actually mean ALL. I wouldn’t join a maths society for free even if Ariana Grande attended
Probably the creative ones
One of Keele's biggest societies is KRAP (Keele Rock Appreciation Posse). Always gets a giggle at freshers fair. :teehee:
Regularly go to the chilled-out non-auditioning orchestra :nopity: I'm on the committee
I organise events for the Chemistry Society e.g we recently did a charity bake sale which was nice :albertein:
try to go to Quiz society but usually end up going with orchestra to the Quiz + Curry every Sunday night :wink2:
I infrequently pop along to certain events by French Society, Tea Society, Archaeology Society (my housemates bring me :rolleyes: ) but my favourite pastime is going to the SU cinema to watch films for free/£3 :coma:

BTW I moved this thread to University life :fyi:
Reply 16
Original post by IH8Studying

All the societies?
would get pretty weird with the political ones
I was in my department's (Linguistics) society, Crafts, Table Top (board games), and Japanese societies during my MA. I only went to one or two events overall. Some societies only ever had meet-ups or events at the very last minute, so I usually had other plans or couldn't be bothered.
At undergrad my fav was Debating society, I feel too old/out of place as a PG student to join any now :frown:
Original post by Sinnoh
All the societies?
would get pretty weird with the political ones

yh I’ll even join the Conservative party

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending