The Student Room Group

HELP

I'm an A level student. My grades have always been great but this time I got a C for English (9093). I'm applying for a Math course in some really good universities. I have an A for Further Maths and a predicted grade of A* for Maths. Do you think I should rewrite English? How important is it for my college application?
Original post by Me2Peeps
I'm an A level student. My grades have always been great but this time I got a C for English (9093). I'm applying for a Math course in some really good universities. I have an A for Further Maths and a predicted grade of A* for Maths. Do you think I should rewrite English? How important is it for my college application?

Is this your AS grade? or a mock grade? or an actual grade?
Reply 2
Original post by FrancescaC2000
Is this your AS grade? or a mock grade? or an actual grade?

My AS Grade for English is C. I am not doing A Levels in it.
My A level grade for further math is A.
The rest are my predicted grades...
My AS Grade for English is C. I am not doing A Levels in it.
My A level grade for further math is A.
The rest are my predicted grades...

Then no, do not worry about English. Universities will look first at your predicted / achieved A-Level grades and then go to your English and Maths GCSE grades.
I'm not 100% sure if it is the same in all areas of UK (I mean, I feel like it must be), but where I am from the year I started my A-levels (2017) our AS grades didn't count for anything anymore and therefore UMS points for AS Grades were not relevant either. If this is the same for you then it definitely will NOT affect anything.
Even if your AS grades do count, you are dropping the subject so they aren't likely to consider your achieved AS grade in this subject, especially considering it is totally unrelated. University admission teams are looking for ways to improve your candidacy, they WANT to give you a place if you deserve it, they won't look for things that worsen your application if they aren't relevant.

What is your third subject can I ask?
Reply 4
Then no, do not worry about English. Universities will look first at your predicted / achieved A-Level grades and then go to your English and Maths GCSE grades.
I'm not 100% sure if it is the same in all areas of UK (I mean, I feel like it must be), but where I am from the year I started my A-levels (2017) our AS grades didn't count for anything anymore and therefore UMS points for AS Grades were not relevant either. If this is the same for you then it definitely will NOT affect anything.
Even if your AS grades do count, you are dropping the subject so they aren't likely to consider your achieved AS grade in this subject, especially considering it is totally unrelated. University admission teams are looking for ways to improve your candidacy, they WANT to give you a place if you deserve it, they won't look for things that worsen your application if they aren't relevant.

What is your third subject can I ask?

Oh! That's a major relief! Thank youu!
I'm doing five subjects; Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and (AS level) English :smile:
Oh! That's a major relief! Thank youu!
I'm doing five subjects; Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and (AS level) English :smile:

Oh wow! Well done you. Difficult subject combination!

Good luck with your A Levels and University admissions.

Remember, everything in life has a purpose, what is meant to be will be :smile: and most importantly, have fun in your final year!
Reply 6
Oh wow! Well done you. Difficult subject combination!

Good luck with your A Levels and University admissions.

Remember, everything in life has a purpose, what is meant to be will be :smile: and most importantly, have fun in your final year!

Hahaha yea
Thank you soo much!
Wow! That's beautiful! I will definitely remember that!

Quick Reply

Latest