The Student Room Group

Cambridge application

Hi, I’m an international student who currently lives in Zambia. I’m in my 2nd year of A Level. I decided to write my entire A Level Maths in the first six months of year 12 which was last May (bear in mind we write exams during winter sitting) even before my other AS subjects (which I wrote in October). I achieved an A* - 93% in the maths however I want to study maths Cambridge and this seems like a relatively low A* grade. Are my chances of getting in less with this result?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I’m an international student who currently lives in Zambia. I’m in my 2nd year of A Level. I decided to write my entire A Level Maths in the first six months of year 12 which was last May (bear in mind we write exams during winter sitting) even before my other AS subjects (which I wrote in October). I achieved an A* - 93% in the maths however I want to study maths Cambridge and this seems like a relatively low A* grade. Are my chances of getting in less with this result?

I think that result is incredibly impressive and you will find that Cambridge won't particularly be bothered that you got 93% instead of 94% or higher. Your chances are not lessened.

Can I check that you're set to achieve Cambridge's other Maths requirements?
Are you now taking a qualification in further maths since you completed your Maths A Level so early? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
I think that result is incredibly impressive and you will find that Cambridge won't particularly be bothered that you got 93% instead of 94% or higher. Your chances are not lessened.

Are you now taking a qualification in further maths since you completed your Maths A Level so early? :smile:

Thank you, well the whole purpose of writing early was to free up my time table to focus on further maths (as our school does not offer it and I would have to self learn) so I do intend on writing at the end of the year
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17

Also I have started covering content in FM but I don’t know for sure whether its more beneficial on my application to write the AS components in May and A2 in October or all components at once in October...
Also I have started covering content in FM but I don’t know for sure whether its more beneficial on my application to write the AS components in May and A2 in October or all components at once in October...
Which specific exams are you looking at? (can you link me to the page from the exam board?)
Reply 5
Original post by 04MR17
Which specific exams are you looking at? (can you link me to the page from the exam

I do CIE exams. Below is the link to the Further Maths syllabus:

https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/414957-2020-2022-syllabus.pdf
I do CIE exams. Below is the link to the Further Maths syllabus:

https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/414957-2020-2022-syllabus.pdf
In that case I would personally recommend taking the AS exams first and the A2 exams later. :yy: It gives you less to worry about. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
In that case I would personally recommend taking the AS exams first and the A2 exams later. :yy: It gives you less to worry about. :smile:

Thank you for the advice : )
Reply 8

If you are in your 2nd, and presumably final*, year of A-levels did you apply to Cambridge this year? You would normally apply during your 2nd year, but applying afterwards with your A-levels succesfully completed will be fine too. You will also need to do STEP for Cambridge.

*Cambridge expects you to complete all your A-levels in 2 years.

Also you mentioned doing Maths, and currently doing FM. What other A-level(s) are you studying?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Doones
If you are in your 2nd, and presumably final*, year of A-levels did you apply to Cambridge this year? You would normally apply during your 2nd year, but applying afterwards with your A-levels succesfully completed will be fine too. You will also need to do STEP for Cambridge.

*Cambridge expects you to complete all your A-levels in 2 years.

Also you mentioned doing Maths, and currently doing FM. What other A-level(s) are you studying?

Physics and Chemistry
Reply 10
Physics and Chemistry

Ok, so Cambridge will expect you to complete all 4 in the standard 2 years.
Original post by Doones
Ok, so Cambridge will expect you to complete all 4 in the standard 2 years.

Yes but I have already written A level maths : |
Reply 12
Yes but I have already written A level maths : |

That doesn't make any difference. You need to complete ALL your other A-levels in the standard 2 years (unless you have extenuating circumstances).

So FM, Physics and Chemistry should be completed in your 2nd year of A-levels.

Completing Maths in Y12 and FM in Y13 is not unusual.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending