The Student Room Group

Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care Edexcel (PEARSON)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hazelly
For unit 2, I assume?

Yes :smile:
Original post by Eeshak
Yes :smile:

I'm honestly not sure. I'm about to do the 2018 past paper and see how I do. Have you done any past papers?

This isn't a prediction but I think its certainly worth having a look at the different legislations and acts. As you can include these into your answer for an 8 marker.
Reply 22
Original post by Hazelly
I'm honestly not sure. I'm about to do the 2018 past paper and see how I do. Have you done any past papers?

This isn't a prediction but I think its certainly worth having a look at the different legislations and acts. As you can include these into your answer for an 8 marker.

My teacher said to do the 2019 paper as it’s the closest one to what will be on unit 2
Yes I shall do that now, thank you
Original post by Eeshak
My teacher said to do the 2019 paper as it’s the closest one to what will be on unit 2
Yes I shall do that now, thank you

I did the 2019 paper as a mock a few weeks ago so I didn't think there was any point. Didn't want to waste time essentially :smile:

Do you have the mark scheme to be able to go through this paper once it's done?
Reply 24
Original post by Hazelly
I did the 2019 paper as a mock a few weeks ago so I didn't think there was any point. Didn't want to waste time essentially :smile:

Do you have the mark scheme to be able to go through this paper once it's done?

2019 paper was hard for me, still got a D. I would go over responsibilities and multi disciplinary teams.

I don’t have any of the mark schemes as my teacher marks them :frown:
Original post by Eeshak
2019 paper was hard for me, still got a D. I would go over responsibilities and multi disciplinary teams.

I don’t have any of the mark schemes as my teacher marks them :frown:

Same here, I struggled with the 2019 paper!

I'm unsure if the exam boards website has publicly uploaded the 2018 paper, it's odd. I'm thankfully using the paper given through my teacher.
Reply 26
Original post by Hazelly
Same here, I struggled with the 2019 paper!

I'm unsure if the exam boards website has publicly uploaded the 2018 paper, it's odd. I'm thankfully using the paper given through my teacher.

My teacher said she had to purchase the papers off this website, I think it’s only available to teachers
Original post by Eeshak
My teacher said she had to purchase the papers off this website, I think it’s only available to teachers

Frustratingly yep.

How are you going to be revising today? :h:
Reply 28
Original post by Hazelly
Frustratingly yep.

How are you going to be revising today? :h:

I’m just making notes. Like roles of care providers, their responsibilities and then legislation and acts. Then exam questions When I finish. Wby :smile:
Original post by Eeshak
I’m just making notes. Like roles of care providers, their responsibilities and then legislation and acts. Then exam questions When I finish. Wby :smile:

Just going through a unit 2 checklist before doing a past paper. I have also just completed some exam questions given by the revision guide which was helpful.

Although, I am looking forward to the exams being over! :lol:
Reply 30
Original post by Hazelly
Just going through a unit 2 checklist before doing a past paper. I have also just completed some exam questions given by the revision guide which was helpful.

Although, I am looking forward to the exams being over! :lol:

Where can I get the checklist?
Aha I’ve still got 6 in the summer for my a levels :frown:
Original post by Eeshak
Where can I get the checklist?
Aha I’ve still got 6 in the summer for my a levels :frown:

Oh no, that's a shame! What other A levels are you doing if you mind me asking?

This checklist was given out by a teacher I'm afraid :frown:. You can look at the specification given out from the exam board. It can also be used as a checklist :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by Hazelly
Oh no, that's a shame! What other A levels are you doing if you mind me asking?

This checklist was given out by a teacher I'm afraid :frown:. You can look at the specification given out from the exam board. It can also be used as a checklist :biggrin:

Psychology and sociology:smile:
And ah no worries thank you, will do!
Original post by Eeshak
Psychology and sociology:smile:
And ah no worries thank you, will do!

Oh nice :smile:

Good luck with your studies!
Good luck everyone. can anyone give me advice, tips or hints on how to answer 4 marks,6 markers and 8 markers?
Also, I've got papers and mark schemes and examiner reports for
01/2017,
01/2018,
06/2018,
01/2019,
06/2019
Original post by btecs098
...can anyone give me advice, tips or hints on how to answer 4 marks,6 markers and 8 markers?

4 markers:

These are usually given in the format as: "Describe two responsibilities of a midwife".

This means you need to apply two facts and then add your knowledge to this. For example, "the midwife will ensure that all necessary equipment is available for a home birth. This will limit the risks when birth takes place at home".

Essentially, a describing question is asking you to recall and state the knowledge whilst applying it to a scenario given by the exam board.

You do not have to write much for these questions and it can be very much down to the point, as long as you're giving the correct information. If that makes sense?

6 markers:

This is usually given in the format as: "explain ways in which a school might meet the requirements of the Equality Act 2010, which applies to people with physical disabilities".

Before you begin to answer this, read through the scenario and try to identify what they are focusing on (I.e. is it about someone's needs or ill-health?), then look at details of the service user (age, gender, etc), the scenario will usually specify if they have any specific needs such as needing assistance with personal care. Lastly, any practitioners involved in providing the service users care and how they are supporting them.

Fundamentally, by knowing this it will help you to consolidate a clear answer towards the question.

When you answer the 6 markers, remember to use linking phrases such as "for example", this will allow you to develop your points formally.

The point of the explanation questions is to make you recall the knowledge and then link the points you've made. This is by giving clear reasons and evidence in support of this.

8 markers:

You will be asked to discuss the question most likely. The format will be presented like this: "Discuss ways that health and social care workers empower older people who live in residential care settings". Or "Discuss the effectiveness of using an advocate to ensure that a service user has the care that they need from the care practitioners who support them".

Look for the key terms such as empower - this means your answer must be orientated around the empowerment of a service user(s).

Discussing is similar to the explanation question, however, you will be asked to convey different opinions or a contradicting argument. You must also do more than just explain your viewpoint. This means that you may need to talk about the advantages as well as the disadvantages of a topic - such as partnership working.

Make sure you add a conclusion, they are vital when you're finishing the essay because it shows you are fully able to make a judgemental decision at the end.
I hope this helps anyone who is about to sit their exam tomorrow morning, good luck everyone! :hugs:
Good luck everyone. can anyone give me advice, tips or hints on how to answer 4 marks,6 markers and 8 markers?
Also, I've got papers and mark schemes and examiner reports for
01/2017,
01/2018,
06/2018,
01/2019,
06/2019

can you send me your course work to use as a guide- not to copy
Original post by Beefcurrybob
can you send me your course work to use as a guide- not to copy

You’re not allowed to do this, at all.
good luck everyonnee for unit 2!!!!!!!