The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Biomedical Science at Lancaster University?

people who are studying biomedical science at Lancaster right now, what is the course like and are you enjoying it?
specifically:
- is it interesting?
- what are the labs like? what type of practicals do you do?
- is it hard and time consuming? do you understand the course or does it take a lot of extra time outside of lectures to understand the course?
- are you thinking of doing a master’s degree after?
- in your opinion, what’s the best part about the course?

thank you!!
Original post by aw03
people who are studying biomedical science at Lancaster right now, what is the course like and are you enjoying it?
specifically:
- is it interesting?
- what are the labs like? what type of practicals do you do?
- is it hard and time consuming? do you understand the course or does it take a lot of extra time outside of lectures to understand the course?
- are you thinking of doing a master’s degree after?
- in your opinion, what’s the best part about the course?

thank you!!

Hello!
I'm studying a course what is very similar to Biomedical Sciences - I'll outline the differences for you! Biomedical Science is an accredited degree which will allow you to go straight into working in the NHS as a Biomedical Scientists after graduating. This does mean however there's not a lot of flexibility (none until third year). My degree is similar but it's not accredited and I'm able to have a lot of choice - however I've chosen essentially the same modules as you'd study doing Biomedical Science (but they tend to be the most interesting ones anyway!). Let me know if you have more questions about accreditation.
- yes it is! you'll study a variety of things and I can't think of anything that hasn't seemed relevant in some way. Everyone has topics they love and hate and you'll have to do a bit of both, but if you enjoy Biology A Level (if you're studying it), then you'll learn more about a lot of the topics, and learn about a lot of new topics. Note though there's no evolution side of things on this course.
- Normally we have 3 labs/workshops a week in first and second year and 2 labs/workshops a week in third year. During the labs you normally get given a protocol (usually posted online to read before you come), and you work in a pair to get through everything. Often the run from one week to the next. You work at your own pace and leave once you're done. They take on average 2 hours but sometimes as little as 1 or as long as 4. There's PhD students and lab technicians to help you as well as the lecturer. Often you'll have to do some sort of coursework analysis based on the labs. You'll do biochemistry, microbiology, cell biology and genetics practicals - all of which have different skills. It's intimidating at first but you'll become a lot more comfortable over time, especially after doing your projects at the end of second year.
- In first year you'll have more lectures but your exams will be multiple choice (unless they change it), so you'll have a lot of contact time but not expected to be doing loads of extra work outside of lectures (just learning content and doing coursework). However by third year you have much less contact time but you'll be expected to be reading outside of the course and doing your own research into literature etc. It is a hard course - I think it's recognised as one of the hardest courses. You'll have to write essays and be performing data analysis. BUT, you'll get through it, the lecturers and other students will always be there to help. Most people are on 2.1s and 1sts. I think people struggle with the volume of content as oppose to it being difficult.
- I'm not doing a masters - I'm applying to medical school! But a fair few people are doing the Biomedicine masters or applying to masters elsewhere. It will definitely facilitate you to study lots of different masters.
- My favourite part hmmm. I really enjoyed our dissertation projects, it was so great to have control over my own project and see it from start to finish, despite how stressful it was.
Let me know if you have anymore questions
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello!
I'm studying a course what is very similar to Biomedical Sciences - I'll outline the differences for you! Biomedical Science is an accredited degree which will allow you to go straight into working in the NHS as a Biomedical Scientists after graduating. This does mean however there's not a lot of flexibility (none until third year). My degree is similar but it's not accredited and I'm able to have a lot of choice - however I've chosen essentially the same modules as you'd study doing Biomedical Science (but they tend to be the most interesting ones anyway!). Let me know if you have more questions about accreditation.
- yes it is! you'll study a variety of things and I can't think of anything that hasn't seemed relevant in some way. Everyone has topics they love and hate and you'll have to do a bit of both, but if you enjoy Biology A Level (if you're studying it), then you'll learn more about a lot of the topics, and learn about a lot of new topics. Note though there's no evolution side of things on this course.
- Normally we have 3 labs/workshops a week in first and second year and 2 labs/workshops a week in third year. During the labs you normally get given a protocol (usually posted online to read before you come), and you work in a pair to get through everything. Often the run from one week to the next. You work at your own pace and leave once you're done. They take on average 2 hours but sometimes as little as 1 or as long as 4. There's PhD students and lab technicians to help you as well as the lecturer. Often you'll have to do some sort of coursework analysis based on the labs. You'll do biochemistry, microbiology, cell biology and genetics practicals - all of which have different skills. It's intimidating at first but you'll become a lot more comfortable over time, especially after doing your projects at the end of second year.
- In first year you'll have more lectures but your exams will be multiple choice (unless they change it), so you'll have a lot of contact time but not expected to be doing loads of extra work outside of lectures (just learning content and doing coursework). However by third year you have much less contact time but you'll be expected to be reading outside of the course and doing your own research into literature etc. It is a hard course - I think it's recognised as one of the hardest courses. You'll have to write essays and be performing data analysis. BUT, you'll get through it, the lecturers and other students will always be there to help. Most people are on 2.1s and 1sts. I think people struggle with the volume of content as oppose to it being difficult.
- I'm not doing a masters - I'm applying to medical school! But a fair few people are doing the Biomedicine masters or applying to masters elsewhere. It will definitely facilitate you to study lots of different masters.
- My favourite part hmmm. I really enjoyed our dissertation projects, it was so great to have control over my own project and see it from start to finish, despite how stressful it was.
Let me know if you have anymore questions
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

thank you so much for this!! you’ve been a big help.

a couple more questions:
1) how many people get NHS placements every year and does the uni help with them or is it entirely independent?
2) are the lectures in big halls or smaller classrooms?
3) do you get tested after every module or is there one big exam at the end of the year? if you do get tested after every module, does it count towards your final grade?
4) how much does coursework count? and is it just lab analysis or other types of coursework too?

general questions:
1) is it expensive living in Lancaster
2) how loud / quiet is the university and surrounding city? (i’m from London and really want to experience a quieter place haha)
3) what are the best things about Lancaster in your opinion? also what are the best things to do / places to go?

i really can’t wait to start biomedical science. it’s all the best parts of biology without the boring parts like
plants and evolution. right now i love learning about the kidneys, liver, hormonal communication etc. but i dread plants, biodiversity, classification and that so i can’t wait to really get into the topics i enjoy!!

thanks so much again :smile:
Original post by aw03
thank you so much for this!! you’ve been a big help.

a couple more questions:
1) how many people get NHS placements every year and does the uni help with them or is it entirely independent?
2) are the lectures in big halls or smaller classrooms?
3) do you get tested after every module or is there one big exam at the end of the year? if you do get tested after every module, does it count towards your final grade?
4) how much does coursework count? and is it just lab analysis or other types of coursework too?

general questions:
1) is it expensive living in Lancaster
2) how loud / quiet is the university and surrounding city? (i’m from London and really want to experience a quieter place haha)
3) what are the best things about Lancaster in your opinion? also what are the best things to do / places to go?

i really can’t wait to start biomedical science. it’s all the best parts of biology without the boring parts like
plants and evolution. right now i love learning about the kidneys, liver, hormonal communication etc. but i dread plants, biodiversity, classification and that so i can’t wait to really get into the topics i enjoy!!

thanks so much again :smile:

1) a lot of people chose not to do them, I don't know the exact number but I'd say about 20-30 people. And you'll have a tutor who will help you from start to finish with your application as well as support from the bioscience careers team.
2) in first year the lectures will be in big halls, and workshops and practicals in smaller groups. However, as you go on they get smaller as you get more module choice.
3) In first year you do an end of module test worth 30% at the end of the module, 20% multiple choice at the end of the year and 50% coursework. That will be for a total of 15 modules. in second year, for four modules it's 50% coursework, 50% exam (essay, short answer and data analysis), and for 4 modules 40% end of module test and 60% coursework (no end of year exam). in third year you take 8 modules and it's 30% coursework and 70% end of year exam. First year doesn't count - you just need to pass, but your grade determines the likelihood of getting your preferred dissertation topic. 2nd and 3rd year count (3rd year a little more) and your dissertation counts. you often do workshops which help you to practice for the exams and coursework and aren't assessed.
4) coursework tends to be a mixture of data analysis and essays!

1) no - lancaster is very cheap! the rent is definitely one of the cheapest you'll find and the general cost of living is super cheap.
2) I'm from London too! and yes it's very quiet and the notable places nearby are like the Lake District and Yorkshire dales. it's a quieter vibe in general (but everywhere students are can be rowdy haha)
3) I love all the independent pubs and restaurants and shops! it's also absolutely beautiful

just to plug myself, I have a YouTube channel and I've documented parts of my experience (just search Charlotte Mulcahy) and you can follow me on insta if you want to get an idea of what stuff I get up to as a third year student (@charlotte_mul)

Hope this helps and keep coming with the questions!
one of the hardest course? really a bit struggle to me.
Reply 5
Sorry this is late, did you have to do an interview to get an offer or just the application??
Is there anything on plants or biodiversity etc at all because i hate it XD?
I do chemistry and biology a-level atm with psychology, how much chemistry is in the course (and is it organic or physical chemistry) compared to biology because I really enjoy organic chemistry?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by AmyWh4
Sorry this is late, did you have to do an interview to get an offer or just the application??
Is there anything on plants or biodiversity etc at all because i hate it XD?
I do chemistry and biology a-level atm with psychology, how much chemistry is in the course (and is it organic or physical chemistry) compared to biology because I really enjoy organic chemistry?

Hi @AmyWh4,

All this information is from my biomed housemate and is from her experience, so things may have changed since. Emailing the head of the department/course is probably best for more up to date information (here for the admin contact details):
1. For biomed you don't need an interview unless you have an unconditional offer (again her experience)
2. No modules feature plants or biodiversity
3. A lot of chemistry, especially organic, but I think that differs depending on what modules you take (she avoids the chemistry ones)

Hope this helps,
Jake (third year at Lancaster University)
Hi I'm planning to study my Msc in Uk and I'm considering Biomedicine at Lancaster. Do you have any tips on maybe the course strength, past students opinions, lecturers attitudes and the available lab facilities? Thanks
Original post by Toluwalase
Hi I'm planning to study my Msc in Uk and I'm considering Biomedicine at Lancaster. Do you have any tips on maybe the course strength, past students opinions, lecturers attitudes and the available lab facilities? Thanks

Hi there,

I checked on our platform which allows you to talk with current students called UniBuddy, hoping there was someone studying Biomedecine for you to ask these questions to but sadly there isn't! Your best bet is to email [email protected] and ask them as they will be able to put you in touch with the department directly and they will be able to give you all the information you need - I'm a humanities student I'm afraid so can't offer any insights!

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with,
-Daisy (final year student ambassador) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending