The Student Room Group

Good universities for LGBT people

I'm gay Im planning on coming out when I got to uni. It will be good for my mental health if I feel accepted around other people, so what are some LGBT friendly/ good unis for LGBT people?
There are LGBT students and societies at most if not all universities in the UK. You'll be accepted anywhere you go.
Reply 2
Thats good to hear! :smile:
Is there any particular Uni in your mind that stands out? ty
Reply 3
Original post by sinfonietta
There are LGBT students and societies at most if not all universities in the UK. You'll be accepted anywhere you go.

Thats good to hear!

Is there any particular Uni in your mind that stands out? ty
If you're looking for an LGBT friendly city, Brighton's great. It has two unis (Uni of Brighton and Uni of Sussex), so you have options. I've heard good things about Manchester too (I think there's 2 unis in Manchester too), but I've never been so idk for sure. London's pretty good too, but obviously London's very big and there are some not great areas, so be sure to check. There's lots of unis in London though, so you have lots of options.
My advice would be to ask at open days about attitudes towards LGBT people both within the uni and in the local town/city. I didn't do that initially and I got outed several times and have now dropped out. I'm reapplying this year and checking what it's like for LGBT students at all the unis I've applied to.
Reply 5
Original post by remussjhj01
If you're looking for an LGBT friendly city, Brighton's great. It has two unis (Uni of Brighton and Uni of Sussex), so you have options. I've heard good things about Manchester too (I think there's 2 unis in Manchester too), but I've never been so idk for sure. London's pretty good too, but obviously London's very big and there are some not great areas, so be sure to check. There's lots of unis in London though, so you have lots of options.
My advice would be to ask at open days about attitudes towards LGBT people both within the uni and in the local town/city. I didn't do that initially and I got outed several times and have now dropped out. I'm reapplying this year and checking what it's like for LGBT students at all the unis I've applied to.

Thank you so much! I'll keep that in mind!
Good luck with your application btw :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending