The Student Room Group
Original post by nataliemae
what are they in really simple terms? i dont know why but im really struggling to understand what they do and how they differ?
do they work together?

thankyou so much for any help

Conferral is the principle by which they decide how to confer how much power to EU institutions for them to operate and how much power remains with the member states.

Subsidiarity is the principle by which they try and ensure decisions are made as close to the citizen as possible i.e local, regional or national levels.

They would work together to show that power wasnt needlessly granted to Brussels, when it could be handled by member states and the subsidiarity ensures that the decisions are also as close to the citizen/ local as possible.

Conferral

Under this fundamental principle of EU law, laid down in Article 5 of the Treaty on European Union, the EU acts only within the limits of the competences that EU countries have conferred upon it in the Treaties. These competences are defined in Articles 2–6 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the EU. Competences not conferred on the EU by the Treaties thus remain with EU countries.

While the principle of conferral governs the limits to EU competences, the use of those competences is governed by the principles of subsidiarity and proportionality.

Subsidiarity

The principle of subsidiarity is defined in Article 5 of the Treaty on European Union. It aims to ensure that decisions are taken as closely as possible to the citizen and that constant checks are made to verify that action at EU level is justified in light of the possibilities available at national, regional or local level.

Specifically, it is the principle whereby the EU does not take action (except in the areas that fall within its exclusive competence), unless it is more effective than action taken at national, regional or local level. It is closely bound up with the principle of proportionality, which requires that any action by the EU should not go beyond what is necessary to achieve the objectives of the Treaties.

There are two Protocols annexed to the Treaty of Lisbon that are key:

Protocol No 1 on the role of national Parliaments encourages national Parliaments' involvement in EU activities and requires EU documents and proposals to be forwarded promptly to them so they can examine them before the Council takes a decision.

Protocol No 2 requires the Commission to take into account the regional and local dimension of all draft legislative acts and to make a detailed statement on how the principle of subsidiarity is respected. This Protocol allows national Parliaments to object to a proposal on the grounds that it breaches the principle, as a result of which the proposal must be reviewed and may be maintained, amended or withdrawn by the Commission, or blocked by the European Parliament or the Council.

In the case of a breach of the principle of subsidiarity, the Committee of the Regions or EU countries may refer an adopted act directly to the Court of Justice of the EU.

Original post by 999tigger
Conferral is the principle by which they decide how to confer how much power to EU institutions for them to operate and how much power remains with the member states.

Subsidiarity is the principle by which they try and ensure decisions are made as close to the citizen as possible i.e local, regional or national levels.

They would work together to show that power wasnt needlessly granted to Brussels, when it could be handled by member states and the subsidiarity ensures that the decisions are also as close to the citizen/ local as possible.

Conferral

Under this fundamental principle of EU law, laid down in Article 5 of the Treaty on European Union, the EU acts only within the limits of the competences that EU countries have conferred upon it in the Treaties. These competences are defined in Articles 2–6 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the EU. Competences not conferred on the EU by the Treaties thus remain with EU countries.

While the principle of conferral governs the limits to EU competences, the use of those competences is governed by the principles of subsidiarity and proportionality.

Subsidiarity

The principle of subsidiarity is defined in Article 5 of the Treaty on European Union. It aims to ensure that decisions are taken as closely as possible to the citizen and that constant checks are made to verify that action at EU level is justified in light of the possibilities available at national, regional or local level.

Specifically, it is the principle whereby the EU does not take action (except in the areas that fall within its exclusive competence), unless it is more effective than action taken at national, regional or local level. It is closely bound up with the principle of proportionality, which requires that any action by the EU should not go beyond what is necessary to achieve the objectives of the Treaties.

There are two Protocols annexed to the Treaty of Lisbon that are key:

Protocol No 1 on the role of national Parliaments encourages national Parliaments' involvement in EU activities and requires EU documents and proposals to be forwarded promptly to them so they can examine them before the Council takes a decision.

Protocol No 2 requires the Commission to take into account the regional and local dimension of all draft legislative acts and to make a detailed statement on how the principle of subsidiarity is respected. This Protocol allows national Parliaments to object to a proposal on the grounds that it breaches the principle, as a result of which the proposal must be reviewed and may be maintained, amended or withdrawn by the Commission, or blocked by the European Parliament or the Council.

In the case of a breach of the principle of subsidiarity, the Committee of the Regions or EU countries may refer an adopted act directly to the Court of Justice of the EU.

Does subsidiarity institutionalise self government and comparative effectiveness?
I answered that 2 years ago?
I dont believe that knowledge is resident in my head if it ever was. Sorry think you will have to look it up.
Original post by 999tigger
I answered that 2 years ago?
I dont believe that knowledge is resident in my head if it ever was. Sorry think you will have to look it up.

yeah I know you answered that question 2 years ago. Im just searching all over the internet and still no luck :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending