The Student Room Group

Gcse

Hi. I have started revision here and there. But I haven’t been very productive. I’ve mostly been revising science since like November because I was at 43 now I’m at 98 but most my other grades have gone down. I’m hoping to get mostly 8s and 9s at GCSE some 7s and maybe one 6, but I didn’t do as well in my mocks: I got a 7 in business (I’m happy with that) 98 in science (ecstatic with that!) an 8 in math (thank god) a 6 in English lit :frown:, last time I got an 8 I went down 2 whole grades because I stopped paying attention in class and I only answered 2/4 questions which was dumb of me I should’ve managed my time in the examination better, but I got good considering as some of the smartest people in English got about a 6. I got a 5 in history, I want a 7 in the real thing, which I hope I’ll get. A 5 in sociology, I want a 7 in that too. And I want possible an 8 in English lit and an in English lan. Does anyone have any good revision tips? And how do you structure answers for AQA English lit and lan? I always ask my teacher how to, but she answers vaguely. I have around 120 days left. Is that enough time?
Focus on your other subjects now then because you seem pretty set in science and math. For history, is your problem with the content or exams? Can't help with English since I got a 6 but maybe ask another English teacher for help (that's what i did) or your friends. It's enough time if you work hard and smart.
Original post by PetitePanda
Focus on your other subjects now then because you seem pretty set in science and math. For history, is your problem with the content or exams? Can't help with English since I got a 6 but maybe ask another English teacher for help (that's what i did) or your friends. It's enough time if you work hard and smart.

Thank you. It means a lot. The reason I ****ed up in English is because I didn’t manage my time properly I was meant to do four essays, and I just managed to finish two because I spent too long on them. Are there any tips that you would advise? And Im starting proper revision soon; I hope to get my whole gcse spec done by February, just in time for my mocks. After February, I plan to just go over the whole gcse spec for each of my subjects because I heard repetition is key. About history, I think it was mainly because I didn’t know how to structure the big essays well, as my teacher the previous year told my class an invalid structure to follow. There was also a few gaps in my knowledge because there was soo much to remember.
Original post by Soniahassan96
Thank you. It means a lot. The reason I ****ed up in English is because I didn’t manage my time properly I was meant to do four essays, and I just managed to finish two because I spent too long on them. Are there any tips that you would advise? And Im starting proper revision soon; I hope to get my whole gcse spec done by February, just in time for my mocks. After February, I plan to just go over the whole gcse spec for each of my subjects because I heard repetition is key. About history, I think it was mainly because I didn’t know how to structure the big essays well, as my teacher the previous year told my class an invalid structure to follow. There was also a few gaps in my knowledge because there was soo much to remember.

I totally understand; I mess up with my time management all the time and I always end up staying till 3am to finish my a level history essay. I would advise making your revision sources way early and condensed so it’s out of the way. Yes repetition is key and if this is effective for you (the spec thing) then you’re doing great. However, don’t forget to practice from time to time - maybe after each topic you could do questions based on that? Id advise you to have a big emphasis on practice papers closer to the exams - I did this 3 months before my exams but you can do whatever you feel is right.

For history, hopefully you got the same question as when I did my history gcse: you get a source question, an essay question and an evaluate question.

For the source question, Use AEO (Argument, Evidence, Own knowledge): write out the argument; then evidence in the source that supports it; then I would write something you know that’s not mentioned in the source that is relevant to it to support the argument. Then I would use NOP (Nature, Origin, Purpose) to evaluate its reliability: Nature, what type of source is it like if it’s a diary, it could be personal and biased whereas an academic journal would provide facts on both sides and will be accurate; Origin, if it’s a primary or secondary source (look at the dates to see if it’s near the time of the event); Purpose, what does it intend to do like if it’s a propaganda poster, it’s not reliable since it’s biased to one side.

For the essay question, it would be something like why was ... significant / important to the.... This is simple because you can use what you know in English to history. Basically you need an introduction, 3 (or more) main paragraphs and a conclusion. For the introduction, write out a direct answer to the question, explaining how it is important or whatever it asks you to do. For Main paragraphs, you explain why you think this in more detail with PEEL (Point, Evidence, Link to the question). An conclusion is evaluating what you said and maybe having your own opinion.

For evaluating, normally you get a statement where you need to agree/disagree. Firstly, you need to make a plan of things you know that agree/ disagree but remember it’s a quick sketch of notes. Then you make an introduction, two agree (or disagree - whatever you think is more important), two disagree (or agree) then an conclusion saying which side you’re on with evidence to support it.

Don’t worry about remembering too much as long as you can still make an answer with it - it doesn’t need to be perfect. Good luck btw :smile:
I totally understand; I mess up with my time management all the time and I always end up staying till 3am to finish my a level history essay. I would advise making your revision sources way early and condensed so it’s out of the way. Yes repetition is key and if this is effective for you (the spec thing) then you’re doing great. However, don’t forget to practice from time to time - maybe after each topic you could do questions based on that? Id advise you to have a big emphasis on practice papers closer to the exams - I did this 3 months before my exams but you can do whatever you feel is right.

For history, hopefully you got the same question as when I did my history gcse: you get a source question, an essay question and an evaluate question.

For the source question, Use AEO (Argument, Evidence, Own knowledge): write out the argument; then evidence in the source that supports it; then I would write something you know that’s not mentioned in the source that is relevant to it to support the argument. Then I would use NOP (Nature, Origin, Purpose) to evaluate its reliability: Nature, what type of source is it like if it’s a diary, it could be personal and biased whereas an academic journal would provide facts on both sides and will be accurate; Origin, if it’s a primary or secondary source (look at the dates to see if it’s near the time of the event); Purpose, what does it intend to do like if it’s a propaganda poster, it’s not reliable since it’s biased to one side.

For the essay question, it would be something like why was ... significant / important to the.... This is simple because you can use what you know in English to history. Basically you need an introduction, 3 (or more) main paragraphs and a conclusion. For the introduction, write out a direct answer to the question, explaining how it is important or whatever it asks you to do. For Main paragraphs, you explain why you think this in more detail with PEEL (Point, Evidence, Link to the question). An conclusion is evaluating what you said and maybe having your own opinion.

For evaluating, normally you get a statement where you need to agree/disagree. Firstly, you need to make a plan of things you know that agree/ disagree but remember it’s a quick sketch of notes. Then you make an introduction, two agree (or disagree - whatever you think is more important), two disagree (or agree) then an conclusion saying which side you’re on with evidence to support it.

Don’t worry about remembering too much as long as you can still make an answer with it - it doesn’t need to be perfect. Good luck btw :smile:

Hey. Thank you for the advice. Sorry for the late reply I was off my phone. How many months in advance did you start proper revision?
Hey. Thank you for the advice. Sorry for the late reply I was off my phone. How many months in advance did you start proper revision?

I guess December in yr 11 i started to do stuff but January was my proper revision. However, I was working on my coursework for both art and dt (didnt revise much for dt) throughout the year so I had less subjects to revise for; I was paying attention to class and doing the work in class and homework for yr 10 so Ik some of the content. The more earlier you do it, the better you're prepared to do it. If you want, you could make your revision resources earlier, which could take 1-2 months (or less), then practice the rest of the time you have left. Do revision every day but do it little at a time then increase it the closer you are to the real exams.
I guess December in yr 11 i started to do stuff but January was my proper revision. However, I was working on my coursework for both art and dt (didnt revise much for dt) throughout the year so I had less subjects to revise for; I was paying attention to class and doing the work in class and homework for yr 10 so Ik some of the content. The more earlier you do it, the better you're prepared to do it. If you want, you could make your revision resources earlier, which could take 1-2 months (or less), then practice the rest of the time you have left. Do revision every day but do it little at a time then increase it the closer you are to the real exams.

Awe thank you. This actually means a lot. When I started a discussion I doubted that anyone would even reply, so replying to me means a lot. I have started proper revision about a few days ago, but I keep procrastinating. I just hope I’ll do better in my February mocks I’m planning to go over everything at least once until then and hopefully 3/4 times by May.
Awe thank you. This actually means a lot. When I started a discussion I doubted that anyone would even reply, so replying to me means a lot. I have started proper revision about a few days ago, but I keep procrastinating. I just hope I’ll do better in my February mocks I’m planning to go over everything at least once until then and hopefully 3/4 times by May.

Awww that's really sweet to read. I'm glad you started revising and while it does seem boring, you can just do it for 1 hour every day for now so you dont get bored or tire out. Good luck for your February mocks and for your real exams - dont forget to practice as well.
Awww that's really sweet to read. I'm glad you started revising and while it does seem boring, you can just do it for 1 hour every day for now so you dont get bored or tire out. Good luck for your February mocks and for your real exams - dont forget to practice as well.

Thank you. I hope they go well hopefully a grade or two above my previous mocks because I’m actually revising for these mocks this time. Do you have any tips for English literature? I really want a 7/8 in it and I’m quite behind as I haven’t created any revision resources for most my novels.
Thank you. I hope they go well hopefully a grade or two above my previous mocks because I’m actually revising for these mocks this time. Do you have any tips for English literature? I really want a 7/8 in it and I’m quite behind as I haven’t created any revision resources for most my novels.

Not really have any tips because I didn't really revise for it since my school did it in yr 9. However, maybe look up some youtubers' online that have some tips (OMG Mr bruff was a godsend) but definitely make revision resources because the info will get drilled into your head.
Not really have any tips because I didn't really revise for it since my school did it in yr 9. However, maybe look up some youtubers' online that have some tips (OMG Mr bruff was a godsend) but definitely make revision resources because the info will get drilled into your head.

Thank you soo much. This actually means so much to me. I hope my mocks go well in Feb. I’ve started revising English lit and history, since they’re my weakest subjects and I actually care about them, I hope I see an improvement in my next mocks hopefully by 2 grades because I’ve been putting in a lot of work and effort.
For english language and literature I think I tried to find techniques I could confidently analyse every time e.g sounds, complex sentences, iambic pentameter. It's good if you can get confident at analysing structure because that's something which will help in both lang and lit. I also used extended metaphors in my writing in langauge often. I went from a 4 in year 10 to 8 in year 11 with a few months so you definitely have time to get 8s and 9s at gcse
Original post by icemaster523
For english language and literature I think I tried to find techniques I could confidently analyse every time e.g sounds, complex sentences, iambic pentameter. It's good if you can get confident at analysing structure because that's something which will help in both lang and lit. I also used extended metaphors in my writing in langauge often. I went from a 4 in year 10 to 8 in year 11 with a few months so you definitely have time to get 8s and 9s at gcse

Thank you. That means a lot and it’s motivating me😀.
Hi. I have started revision here and there. But I haven’t been very productive. I’ve mostly been revising science since like November because I was at 43 now I’m at 98 but most my other grades have gone down. I’m hoping to get mostly 8s and 9s at GCSE some 7s and maybe one 6, but I didn’t do as well in my mocks: I got a 7 in business (I’m happy with that) 98 in science (ecstatic with that!) an 8 in math (thank god) a 6 in English lit :frown:, last time I got an 8 I went down 2 whole grades because I stopped paying attention in class and I only answered 2/4 questions which was dumb of me I should’ve managed my time in the examination better, but I got good considering as some of the smartest people in English got about a 6. I got a 5 in history, I want a 7 in the real thing, which I hope I’ll get. A 5 in sociology, I want a 7 in that too. And I want possible an 8 in English lit and an in English lan. Does anyone have any good revision tips? And how do you structure answers for AQA English lit and lan? I always ask my teacher how to, but she answers vaguely. I have around 120 days left. Is that enough time?

Hey, I am aiming for grade 8 in English lit and I fcked up my timings too and got a 6 too. What texts do you study? I’m having trouble knowing how to revise all the content, there’s just too much😪
Original post by Isabelpayne200
Hey, I am aiming for grade 8 in English lit and I fcked up my timings too and got a 6 too. What texts do you study? I’m having trouble knowing how to revise all the content, there’s just too much😪

I study Macbeth, A Christmas carol, Animal farm and power and conflict anthology. I do AQA for English literature and language. A 6 is good and honestly. Even in my recent mocks I ****ed up on timing again. I need to do timed papers at home or something because those were my last set of mocks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending