The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway prospects.

Hello!
I am currently a 2nd year PPE student at Royal Holloway who is predicted a first (at least I haven’t got anything below a first) and was just wondering what kind of prospects my university actually has.
Before anyone asks why I didn’t check before is simply because I didn’t choose to go to RHUL, it was chosen for me. I haven’t seen anything particularly promising from any aspect of the university and not happy at all with my course, not to mention that the careers events mostly contained companies that were offering part-time jobs. As such I was wondering what are some actual experiences of individuals who have graduated. Have you done well? What problems did you face related to having graduated from RHUL?
Reply 1
How come you don't like the course and why was it chosen for you?
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by mattwj10
How come you don't like the course and why was it chosen for you?

It was chosen for me due to clearing. My parents were in the room with me when I started calling unis . They, in a blind panic, chose a random uni that offered PPE and if I got accepted I was to go there no questions asked.
As for the course, I despise the fact that I have no option choices for modules, that the economics is purely theory will no mathematical aspects beyond first year but what really drives me up the wall is that I do about 2-3 essays a year
Reply 3
Original post by Radec
It was chosen for me due to clearing. My parents were in the room with me when I started calling unis . They, in a blind panic, chose a random uni that offered PPE and if I got accepted I was to go there no questions asked.
As for the course, I despise the fact that I have no option choices for modules, that the economics is purely theory will no mathematical aspects beyond first year but what really drives me up the wall is that I do about 2-3 essays a year

That's a shame, I actually tried to get into that course through clearing too but they would not let me as I did not have three A levels lmao, I am now applying again (for lower-ranking universities) but that is a concern of mine too that with ppe a lot of courses seem to be more just philosophy and politics, but do you not get quite a lot of econ modules in the third year?
Reply 4
Original post by mattwj10
That's a shame, I actually tried to get into that course through clearing too but they would not let me as I did not have three A levels lmao, I am now applying again (for lower-ranking universities) but that is a concern of mine too that with ppe a lot of courses seem to be more just philosophy and politics, but do you not get quite a lot of econ modules in the third year?

Trust, it’s best to do something like Economics and Management, Economics and Maths than PPE here. Each year you take one politics unit, one philosophy unit and two economics. Of which you have no control over what you do and the units stay elementary till the third year. All the attractive units like Game Theory, Econometrics, Hegel etc you are not allowed to study regardless of how good you are.
The principle issue is, if you don’t read PPE at Oxbridge, Durham, Warwick, the LSE and UCL you aren’t going to get the most enjoyable course. You would find it way harder but by god is it more rewarding.
Hence why I was asking regarding prospects, what can I do if the degree I read for does not do a good job preparing me for any of the typical employment routes for a PPEist.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending