The Student Room Group

being offered a foundation year

can you be offered a foundation year when you apply if you don't meet their grade requirements or something? or did i have to apply for one in the first place? can someone explain to me how that works please.
I got offered Computer Science with Foundation Year at UWE Bristol instead of just Computer Science. A foundation year is pretty much a year just introducing you to the course, helps you get ready for the actual 3 year degree. That's why Foundation Year degrees usually have lower requirements than the main degrees. It's up to the university if they offer you the place on the original course instead of a foundation year, hence mine with UWE Bristol. You can apply for foundation year courses on UCAS.
Reply 2
Original post by JordanP_27
I got offered Computer Science with Foundation Year at UWE Bristol instead of just Computer Science. A foundation year is pretty much a year just introducing you to the course, helps you get ready for the actual 3 year degree. That's why Foundation Year degrees usually have lower requirements than the main degrees. It's up to the university if they offer you the place on the original course instead of a foundation year, hence mine with UWE Bristol. You can apply for foundation year courses on UCAS.

I have applied to all of my unis already, none of them being foundation year courses. one of them is also at uwe and i know they have the paralell foundation year course that i want to do. do i have to apply specifically for a foundation year or if i don't meet the requirements or they think it is better, will they offer me a foundation course instead of the actual course? i'm just not sure how it works. i dont mind doing the foundation course i just want to get into the specific courses i applied for in the specific unis. and if they offer a foundation if i dont match the requirements for some reason then it would be good.
Original post by fairypixie
I have applied to all of my unis already, none of them being foundation year courses. one of them is also at uwe and i know they have the paralell foundation year course that i want to do. do i have to apply specifically for a foundation year or if i don't meet the requirements or they think it is better, will they offer me a foundation course instead of the actual course? i'm just not sure how it works. i dont mind doing the foundation course i just want to get into the specific courses i applied for in the specific unis. and if they offer a foundation if i dont match the requirements for some reason then it would be good.

They look at the predicted grades that your referee put on your UCAS application, then they can offer you a place the original course, or offer you a place on the foundation year course. There are however exams in foundation year that will determine whether you get onto the main course or not.
Reply 4
They look at the predicted grades that your referee put on your UCAS application, then they can offer you a place the original course, or offer you a place on the foundation year course. There are however exams in foundation year that will determine whether you get onto the main course or not.

thank you very much for clearing that up for me:smile: if i wasn't to get any of my predicted grades or the grades needed to get into the uni's, can i phone the unis and get in touch and ask them to put me on the foundation course? or do i do that before i get my grades. all just in case tho. also, what are uwe like with accepting people? my predicted grades are all c's, but if i didn't get the grades needed on the day, would they still accept me? i've heard and read that they do take people that sometimes go under the grade boundaries.
thank you very much for clearing that up for me:smile: if i wasn't to get any of my predicted grades or the grades needed to get into the uni's, can i phone the unis and get in touch and ask them to put me on the foundation course? or do i do that before i get my grades. all just in case tho. also, what are uwe like with accepting people? my predicted grades are all c's, but if i didn't get the grades needed on the day, would they still accept me? i've heard and read that they do take people that sometimes go under the grade boundaries.

When it comes to results day, if you don't get your predicted results, you could do that, I don't exactly know myself as I'm going through the application process myself. But I believe they usually tell you if you've been put on the course on results day, if you haven't been put onto the course then you can go through clearing and see what places are available. My offer from UWE Bristol for CompSci with Foundation Year is 72 UCAS Points which equates to DDD, so should be fine.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
When it comes to results day, if you don't get your predicted results, you could do that, I don't exactly know myself as I'm going through the application process myself. But I believe they usually tell you if you've been put on the course on results day, if you haven't been put onto the course then you can go through clearing and see what places are available. My offer from UWE Bristol for CompSci with Foundation Year is 72 UCAS Points which equates to DDD, so should be fine.

Did you specifically apply for a foundation year or did they offer you a foundation year but you applied for the 3 year course?
Did you specifically apply for a foundation year or did they offer you a foundation year but you applied for the 3 year course?

I applied for the normal 3 year course with no foundation year, but they offered me the course with a foundation year. They attached this to the message I got when I got the offer because my predicted grades were lower than the requirements.

"Please note: This is an offer for foundation year entry which will extend your studies by one year but we feel this to be a more suitable option for you and one which should provide you with a more smooth transition to university level studies."
Reply 8
I applied for the normal 3 year course with no foundation year, but they offered me the course with a foundation year. They attached this to the message I got when I got the offer because my predicted grades were lower than the requirements.

"Please note: This is an offer for foundation year entry which will extend your studies by one year but we feel this to be a more suitable option for you and one which should provide you with a more smooth transition to university level studies."

okay cool thank you very much you've been very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending