The Student Room Group

Cambridge iGCSE Computer Science Paper 1

I like Computer Science and I want to do it for A-Level. I am fine with Paper 2 but I want to make sure I get a good grade in paper 1. Does anyone have any tips for paper 1?
Original post by ScoutLeopard
I like Computer Science and I want to do it for A-Level. I am fine with Paper 2 but I want to make sure I get a good grade in paper 1. Does anyone have any tips for paper 1?

I just did my paper 1 mock, and it was fairly heavy on things like online data protection (Firewalls, encryption, proxy servers and what have you), types of storage compared with each other (Secondary, Primary, Offline, then examples of storage devices). They really wanted us to know storage methods. Like, a lot. They really liked storage. Other stuff like binary and hex were mainly 1 and 2 markers which are fairly easy to grasp topics though. So, for us, topics we had to learn were Data representation, Data transmission and error checks, The internet (web servers etc.), Input and output devices, logic gates, sensors, memory storage, Computer architecture (FDE cycle and buses), Ethics and operating systems. The ones in bold came up the most and were the hardest questions in the paper. Good luck! This was iGCSE paper 1 mock btw, not sure what one you take but still, my main advice is that most questions can be answered just with logic. If you have no idea about what the answer is for a 6 marker just list everything you know about it for some marks they'll give from the MS. GLHF!
Original post by Jevans2208
I just did my paper 1 mock, and it was fairly heavy on things like online data protection (Firewalls, encryption, proxy servers and what have you), types of storage compared with each other (Secondary, Primary, Offline, then examples of storage devices). They really wanted us to know storage methods. Like, a lot. They really liked storage. Other stuff like binary and hex were mainly 1 and 2 markers which are fairly easy to grasp topics though. So, for us, topics we had to learn were Data representation, Data transmission and error checks, The internet (web servers etc.), Input and output devices, logic gates, sensors, memory storage, Computer architecture (FDE cycle and buses), Ethics and operating systems. The ones in bold came up the most and were the hardest questions in the paper. Good luck! This was iGCSE paper 1 mock btw, not sure what one you take but still, my main advice is that most questions can be answered just with logic. If you have no idea about what the answer is for a 6 marker just list everything you know about it for some marks they'll give from the MS. GLHF!

Thanks! I did mine today and it seemed to come up with similar stuff. I didn't do any practise papers (I did practise questions that I was given in a booklet by a teacher, but the format wasn't clear) so I was stressing too much!

Quick Reply

Latest