The Student Room Group

Don't want my parents to find out

After months of putting it off I finally had the courage to book an appointment with my GP and talk about my mental issues.

My parents don't know that I did this. I want to keep it that way but I was told that they'll send a letter home about my next appointment. My mum will definitely open that letter or ask me to tell her/show her what it's about.

I dunno what to do?
Original post by Anonymous
After months of putting it off I finally had the courage to book an appointment with my GP and talk about my mental issues.

My parents don't know that I did this. I want to keep it that way but I was told that they'll send a letter home about my next appointment. My mum will definitely open that letter or ask me to tell her/show her what it's about.

I dunno what to do?

Is there somewhere else post could be sent for you? They have no right to open your post btw -
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Is there somewhere else post could be sent for you? They have no right to open your post btw -

No unfortunately and my mum wouldn't care about that. Even though she might not open it she'll pressure me to tell her or tell my dad too.
Make sure they don’t open the letter. Get there first.
No unfortunately and my mum wouldn't care about that. Even though she might not open it she'll pressure me to tell her or tell my dad too.

Are you in a position to open a PO Box? See info about it here: https://www.royalmail.com/receiving/po-box

You could explain to the doctor and arrange to pick the letter up.
How old are you?

You can always tell your parents that the appointment is to discuss your vaccinations and whether you need to have any more over the next two years.
Just ask the GP during the appointment if extra vaccinations are needed to visit India, Bali or Thailand- the answer will be yes.

Only alternative option is to get to the post before either of your parents do and hide the letter.
Reply 7
Make sure they don’t open the letter. Get there first.

I defo plan to run home and check. But I don't know when the GP plan to send a mail.
Reply 8
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Are you in a position to open a PO Box? See info about it here: https://www.royalmail.com/receiving/po-box

I don't think I am? I can't make one rn
Reply 9
You could explain to the doctor and arrange to pick the letter up.

That's a great idea! How would I contact the doctor? Would I call the gp and ask them to pass forward a message for me?
Original post by londonmyst
How old are you?

You can always tell your parents that the appointment is to discuss your vaccinations and whether you need to have any more over the next two years.
Just ask the GP during the appointment if extra vaccinations are needed to visit India, Bali or Thailand- the answer will be yes.

Only alternative option is to get to the post before either of your parents do and hide the letter.

16 and I can try but I can't think of how to go about it since I'm not travelling anytime soon. My mum is working at home for a few days so I'm even more worried
Reply 11
At the doctors office ask the receptionist to only contact you via email or phone (:
That's a great idea! How would I contact the doctor? Would I call the gp and ask them to pass forward a message for me?

When you have your appointment you should mention the problem. If you are referred somewhere then the practice should be able to arrange something.
16 and I can try but I can't think of how to go about it since I'm not travelling anytime soon. My mum is working at home for a few days so I'm even more worried

Have you had MMR or the HPV vaccine?
You could tell your parents about wanting to know more about whether they are safe because what the anti-vaxxers are saying has confused you.
Original post by ludic
At the doctors office ask the receptionist to only contact you via email or phone (:

Thanks! I'll ask if I they can email/phone me to come pick up the mail personally.
When you have your appointment you should mention the problem. If you are referred somewhere then the practice should be able to arrange something.

I was referred to somewhere else so can I ask them to email me to come pick it up personally?
Reply 16
Thanks! I'll ask if I they can email/phone me to come pick up the mail personally.

You're welcome (: If they ask why, maybe say you share an address with a nosy flatmate or something. They'll most likely just do it no questions asked though. Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
Have you had MMR or the HPV vaccine?
You could tell your parents about wanting to know more about whether they are safe because what the anti-vaxxers are saying has confused you.

Your post made me giggle so thank you 😁 yes I've had them.
I was referred to somewhere else so can I ask them to email me to come pick it up personally?

I would have thought so - just ask.

Well done, btw, for wanting to deal with your concerns about mental health :smile:
I would have thought so - just ask.

Well done, btw, for wanting to deal with your concerns about mental health :smile:

Thank you, I'm just happy I really did it ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest