The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Language Paper 1 and 2 Revision and Study Chat

Welcome to GCSE AQA English Language Revision and Study Chat! :hi:

The exam timetable is:
Tuesday 2nd June: Paper 1 (2483651)
Friday 5th June: Paper 2 (2483682)

How are you feeling about these exams? Do you feel prepared? What have you started doing to prepare for your exams? Comment down below! :h:

How to prepare for exams (general tips)

This thread is for anyone studying GCSE English Language(AQA)
. Chat below and find other students in the same situation as you! Help each other revise, study and share resources. Good luck everyone :goodluck: :dumbells:

Scroll to see replies

Will keep updating this post with all the recommended resources, links and useful posts that are mentioned in this group :smile:

Specification: GCSE AQA English Language Specification

Recommended resources:

Recommended TSR resources:
GCSE English grade 9 exemplar answers

Useful posts:
Language Paper 1 - Cheat Sheet
Reply 2
I did my mocks in November and I did only Language mocks. My results were as follows.

I got in P1: Q1 = 4/4, Q2 = 8/8, Q3 = 7/8, Q4 = 18/20, Q5 = 37/40.

I got in P2: Q1 = 3/4, Q2 = 3/8, Q3 = 12/12, Q4 = 16/16, Q5 = 36/40

I know in Q2 for Paper 2 I didn't get as high in terms of marks but this was due to a lack of time to complete it, and I did manage to get 8/8 in the same form of a question in Paper 1. I do not mean to boast, just looking to help people who need it as I understand how it feels to struggle with something. Also in Q1 for Paper 2 I made a silly mistake which I have now learned from. If you have any questions just ask me (:
Reply 3
Original post by Criisii
I did my mocks in November and I did only Language mocks. My results were as follows.

I know in Q2 for Paper 2 I didn't get as high in terms of marks but this was due to a lack of time to complete it, and I did manage to get 8/8 in the same form of a question in Paper 1. I do not mean to boast, just looking to help people who need it as I understand how it feels to struggle with something. Also in Q1 for Paper 2 I made a silly mistake which I have now learned from. If you have any questions just ask me (:

I got my language result too but we only did paper1 i didn't too well on Q5 do u have any tips that i could use?
Also do u have any tips for Q5 paper 2?
Thanks
Btw well done they are great results:smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Khnz
I got my language result too but we only did paper1 i didn't too well on Q5 do u have any tips that i could use?
Also do u have any tips for Q5 paper 2?
Thanks
Btw well done they are great results:smile:

Thanks by the way. 1 question: when you attempt a paper, what order do you answer the questions in? This, in my opinion, is extremely important. I attempt my paper in the reverse order roughly (5 to 1, but can vary sometimes) and spend around a minute per mark for each question. What is your exam method?
Reply 5
Original post by Criisii
Thanks by the way. 1 question: when you attempt a paper, what order do you answer the questions in? This, in my opinion, is extremely important. I attempt my paper in the reverse order roughly (5 to 1, but can vary sometimes) and spend around a minute per mark for each question. What is your exam method?

I tend just to start from Q1 to the end. But i think starting form Q5 backwards would be a good idea because that way I'm not rushing the big mark questions. Do u know what u need to include for paper2 Q4 and Q5 to write a decent response. Is there anything that u must include? Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Khnz
I tend just to start from Q1 to the end. But i think starting form Q5 backwards would be a good idea because that way I'm not rushing the big mark questions. Do u know what u need to include for paper2 Q4 and Q5 to write a decent response. Is there anything that u must include? Thanks

As long as you know what different forms of writing are e.g. speeches, letters, emails etc and what features they contain to differentiate them for Q5 then you are good to go. I'm not entirely sure what to say about Q4... I was surprised to see how many marks I got on that, to be honest. If I mention the phrase "big ideas/themes" would you know what I am talking about?
Reply 7
Original post by Criisii
As long as you know what different forms of writing are e.g. speeches, letters, emails etc and what features they contain to differentiate them for Q5 then you are good to go. I'm not entirely sure what to say about Q4... I was surprised to see how many marks I got on that, to be honest. If I mention the phrase "big ideas/themes" would you know what I am talking about?

Ok thanks. No i dont know what the phrase “big ideas/theme” means. Unless u mean key themes when it comes to story writing or something not too sure.
Reply 8
Original post by Khnz
Ok thanks. No i dont know what the phrase “big ideas/theme” means. Unless u mean key themes when it comes to story writing or something not too sure.

What "key themes" do you know of?
Hi how did you revise for both papers?
Hey guys! I’m planning on doing Eng Lit+Lang for an A Level. Does anyone have any tips on English Language GCSE? It’s the English which I normally don’t do as well on as Literature, so any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, you need at least a 6 in both English GCSEs to even be considered for the course.

Thanks, Shiba
:smile:
Original post by Criisii

Please tell us how you got so high, I'm finding it hard to revise this subject effectively apart from looking at past papers
Reply 13
Original post by Criisii

Wow you have really amazing results...keep it up! Also it looks like you did really well on question 5s. Do you have any tips or specific structure you use for p1 q5? It's the only thing holding me back from an 8...
Does anyone mind looking at this language paper 2, Section A - mock is on Wednesday

Thanks a ton

Q2) The things to see and do in the Glastonbury Festival and Greenwich Fair are different.
Use details from both sources to write a summary of the differences

A difference between the two is that in source A, Glastonbury is presented as an unpleasant area with bad first impressions whereas Greenwich is more unique and valued. This is evident in the line “My initial reaction was one of undiluted horror.” The use of “undiluted horror” allows readers to infer that the newsagent most certainly did not want to go there. This was perhaps due to the “grip of the heatwave” England was in which presented the conditions of the fair as not being ideal. This different where in source B the writer states “illuminated with lamps.” The use of positive and uplifting imagery conveyed from “illuminated” also gives a literal sense of the place is well lit. Perhaps this is because the people value being able to see the things which occurred at the fair.

This difference in perspectives of the value could exist because of the different frequencies of the fair and festival. In 2005, from when extract A was written, the events had been going on for some time - inferred from “this is my sixth time and so it is not as treasured as compared to a more popular “annual event” of the 1800s.

Q3) How does Dickens use language to make you, the reader, feel part of the fair?

One way Dickens uses language to engage the reader is through the use of sensory descriptions and personal pronouns: “you” and “illuminated with lamps.” The use of personal pronouns addresses the reader directly establishing an instant connection between the reader and writer and in doing so the reader responds to the text and descriptions more actively as compared to if a collective noun was used to address his audience as one. Moreover, the use of the verb “illuminated” conveys to the reader the effort that has been put in place for decorations and lighting. Its connotations with light and activity during the day provokes a sense of excitement in the readers’ minds as they “imagine (themselves)” at the Greenwich fair.

As well as Dickens uses multiple complex sentences with a lot of punctuation(caesura) to makes us feel part of the fair. The coupled use of these techniques by him breaks the flow of the writing and so creates a sense of overwhelming distaste - as the reader tries to continue reading and they are interrupted. Perhaps this is utilised by Dickens to mimic the overcrowding and bustling nature of the stalls at the fair - where one might be asking for “half a pound of the real spice nuts” and is rudely interrupted by another individual. It further emphasises the “perpetual bustle” of the crowd evoking a greater feeling of excitement and community for the reader, as they desire to join.

Q4) Compare how the writers have conveyed their different views and experiences of the festival and fair they describe?

Both extracts use different techniques to convey to their readers the different values placed on the experience of the festivals and fair they describe.

In extract A, the event in Glastonbury is presented as repetitive, boring and yet people still feel inclined to go. This is evident in the line “This is my sixth time at Glastonbury and I've never had trouble.” The writer's effective use of the adverb “never” at first may present the events of Glastonbury to the reader as peaceful and “very safe” and this evokes a feeling of calmness as they understand there to be “no trouble.” However, a different interpretation could be to convey the monotonous and repetitive event - especially as the only trouble mentioned is a “Grip of a heatwave.” The personification of weather creates a hyperbolic tone and as a result, the writer and those who attend Glastonbury are presented as people who are never satisfied. Structurally, however, the change in the opinion of the writer from having a highly negative view to a somewhat positive one could cause the readers to consider the event for themselves. The emotional journey that the writer masterfully demonstrates through the article resonates with the readers as they too had the predetermined mindset of it being an “undiluted horror.” Furthermore, by the writer expertly crafting this to be the last line of the article a sense of hope is offered to the reader and that gives them all the more reason to find out more information about the festival.

This is different to extract B, where the writer presents the place with a unique and lively nature. In extract B, Dickens writes ”state of perpetual bustle. The lexical use of the adjectival phrase conveys the overcrowded and busy event. More perceptive readers may pick up on the adjective “perpetual” which portrays a never-ending feeling. This is different from the event in source A because in B a much larger proportion of people flock to the fair and a sense of urgency is created through “as soon as possible.” Perhaps the difference exists because of the value that people in the 19th century had for yearly community events. Moreover, the seamless use of complex sentence structures further evokes a feeling that there is not enough time for the people to experience the fair to a point of satisfaction and so as readers, we see the value they have for the fair yet again

Notably, both extracts convey the different values people have for their fairs. One might argue that source B’s extract conveyed a greater sense of value because it was a more popular annual event. Due to the period, it was written(1800s) writings like these were how information spread and so the event must be easily captured by those unable to attend. Those who didn't attend Glastonbury still had video and photos to feel part of fair.
eng language is so hardd
Original post by lost.soul
Please tell us how you got so high, I'm finding it hard to revise this subject effectively apart from looking at past papers

Original post by maths_is_life
Wow you have really amazing results...keep it up! Also it looks like you did really well on question 5s. Do you have any tips or specific structure you use for p1 q5? It's the only thing holding me back from an 8..."

I attempt my papers in order of most marks to the least marks. This usually means I start from 5 and end up at 1, but sometimes I go in a slightly different order e.g. I'll do Q2 on P1 instead of 3 first. I spend about a minute per mark so for the 40 markers I spend 45 minutes - 5 minutes planning and 40 minutes writing for example. maths_is_life when you do Q5 on P1, do you do the narrative or descriptive? I do the narrative and in this exam, it was my luck that the creative writing I wrote the night before was relevant to what my exam asked for so I used what I remembered to craft my narrative. lost.soul honestly, it takes practice. For Q3 Structure, we have learned that if you talk about how the extract links to themes like poverty and how the writer could be criticising something like that through their writing, you can get the 7s and 8s out of 8 marks. If you have any more specific questions just pm me and I'll answer asap. Hope this has helped (:
thanks so much, that point about linking to a theme i have heard but it's not in my revision guides - thanks for the tips

with the creative writing, i want to do narrative as i would find it much easier - i was thinking of writing up some stories as you did and hoping i could craft them in too but i do not know what kind of stories/narratives

i'm definitely going to think of some and try do this too - thank you
Reply 18
I have my eng lang paper one tomorrow - any last minute tips?
Original post by esme05
I have my eng lang paper one tomorrow - any last minute tips?

If she doesn’t reply in time, go on madame anglaise website there’s some good tips
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending