The Student Room Group

A-level Edexcel Further Maths Paper 1,2 and 3 Revision and Study Chat

Welcome A-level Edexcel Further Maths Paper 1 and 2 Revision and Study Chat!

The exam timetable is:

Wednesday 11th May 2020: Core Pure Mathematics 1 (9FM0 01)

Wednesday 14th May 2020: Core Pure Mathematics 2 (9FM0 02)

22nd May - 23rd June 2020: Options Paper 3 and 4: Various Papers

How are you feeling about these exams? Do you feel prepared? What have you started doing to prepare for your exams? Comment down below!

How to prepare for the exams (general tips)

This thread is for anyone that is studying A-level Further Maths (Edexcel). Chat below and find other students in the same situation as you! Help each other revise, study and find resources. Good luck everyone

Scroll to see replies

Will keep updating this post with all the recommended resources, links and useful posts that are mentioned in this group :smile:

Specification: Edexcel A-level Further Maths Specification

Recommended resources:

Recommended TSR resources:
Find your Uni group chats here!
Find the 2020 Maths Applicants Thread here >>

Useful posts:
Currently using Dr Frost to practice questions ( open to other suggestions for similar sites). Feeling hopeful just so much to remember.
Doing FP1 and FS1 FYI
Anyone have a solid revision tactic for Further Maths revision? My grade fluctuates a lot (As/A*s, Bs and D's lmao) so I can never really tell when a method works for me. A lot of the time I find I've misunderstood some fundamental piece of theory and I never know how to make stick
If anyone knows how to get lots of further maths practice questions by topic (especially core pure, finding that v hard) that’d be brilliant!!
Original post by stressed0ut
If anyone knows how to get lots of further maths practice questions by topic (especially core pure, finding that v hard) that’d be brilliant!!

You have to be careful because obviously the spec has changed but physics and maths tutor has them for old spec and for getting a solid grasp of the basics this is really good :smile:
Dr Frost is giving me lots of practice at the moment, definitely picking up things I have completely forgotten how to do. Seems to be in line with current spec.
Original post by stressed0ut

Have a look at MadasMaths
There are loads of papers and worksheets by topic which are quite challenging imo
Reply 8
Hello there,
I’m doing FM1 and FS1

I’m finding stats okay. But mechanics is SO HARD!!!!!

Does anyone have tips to improve ??
Original post by ICFats
Hello there,
I’m doing FM1 and FS1

I’m finding stats okay. But mechanics is SO HARD!!!!!

Does anyone have tips to improve ??

Same! But tbh Im struggling with both ugh
How do u study for FS1
Im using the textbook for qs on FM1, I think there r some really good challenging ones in there
Reply 10
Original post by 123xyz123
Same! But tbh Im struggling with both ugh
How do u study for FS1
Im using the textbook for qs on FM1, I think there r some really good challenging ones in there

I just mainly use the textbook for stats. The questions don’t vary in difficulty from the exam and textbook. But mechanics is crazzyyyyy. I don’t even know where to begin on an 8 mark question!
Original post by ICFats
I just mainly use the textbook for stats. The questions don’t vary in difficulty from the exam and textbook. But mechanics is crazzyyyyy. I don’t even know where to begin on an 8 mark question!

Yhh I get you
Sometimes I look at the start of the worked solutions just to get a start cos i get so clueless!
Reassured you think the stats will be like in the books, that worries me more than pure at the moment.
Mechanics - I would work through lots of examples. Are you okay with the model examples in text book - I would cover and try yourself and see if you can do those. Then do lots of practice questions, you’ll get more familiar with it.
Anyone have access to practice papers that aren't just the past papers? I'm doing FS1 and FS2.
Anyone else doing old spec papers?
Im doing literally all the relevant questions from S1-4, M1-4, FP1-3
Hows revision going guys
Original post by 123xyz123
Hows revision going guys

Core pure revision is going okay, but there doesn’t seem to be loads of harder questions. I’m mainly using the textbook, but I’m not sure if they’re too easy. FS1 isn’t a problem, but I’m struggling with FM1.
I’m worried how much harder the questions will be than in the text books. Core Pure going okay, FP1 struggling to answer in the time and not make stupid mistakes - just sat 2019 papers, could have been better. FS1 exam questions seem to be similar to text book thankfully.
Is anybody else struggling with FM1, oblique collisions are killing me. I do a question and think i get it but then i do another one and i dont even know where to start. Plus i haven't found many resources explaining the topics.
Original post by Anxious_Autistic
Is anybody else struggling with FM1, oblique collisions are killing me. I do a question and think i get it but then i do another one and i dont even know where to start. Plus i haven't found many resources explaining the topics.

I don’t really understand anything after momentum. I’m just hoping that my marks in pure will make up for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending