The Student Room Group

Met Police Officer here.

Any questions or if anyone’s looking to join? Happy to answer them.
What's the hardest thing about your job?
Reply 2
Do you know the amount of underaged people driving? Does it concern you and how do you deal with it?
How old are you, since you've interacted with my threads?
Reply 4
Original post by MathsMania
What's the hardest thing about your job?

Most likely a sudden deaths, not the fresh ones. The ones that’s have been found in a bath tub rotting for months. Neighbours who thought it was the sewer till they finally realised they haven’t seen him in months.
Original post by PizzaBoi
Most likely a sudden deaths, not the fresh ones. The ones that’s have been found in a bath tub rotting for months. Neighbours who thought it was the sewer till they finally realised they haven’t seen him in months.

Kudos to you. I am a nurse and I could not do your job.
Reply 6
Did you always want to be an officer? How long did it take to get to where you're at?
Reply 7
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Kudos to you. I am a nurse and I could not do your job.

It’s funny that you say that, I’m always praising nurses on a hospital guard. I won’t even say what I had to witness a nurse do to a DP. I’ll just say it involved a catheter and immense patience.
Reply 8
Original post by Kim.023
Did you always want to be an officer? How long did it take to get to where you're at?

Initially I wanted to study forensic science. I had done work experience at a lab and it just wasn’t for me. When I was 18-19 I was going to join the army but a family member fell ill of cancer. So I spent as much time as I could with them, I found myself just working normal jobs. I then gained general life/work experience dealing with situations and customers.

It was at that point I knew I could deal with a job more challenging. It took around 6-7 months to the joining process. I’ve been in a few years and will be looking to sit my sergeants exam around the end of this year.
Do you agree with police cars being allowed to ram moped thieves off them in a controlled manner?

I think something definitely needs to be done to curb moped gangs...
Reply 10
Original post by RKtotheskyV1
How old are you, since you've interacted with my threads?

Im 25, one second you’re 21. And boom, you wake up and you’re 25. I feel like the years have gone by so much faster recently.
It’s funny that you say that, I’m always praising nurses on a hospital guard. I won’t even say what I had to witness a nurse do to a DP. I’ll just say it involved a catheter and immense patience.

Ha ha not sure what a dp is. Catheters are easy,. My worst patients are the angry ones and you must get loads of them. And the names they call you. Well done for your job.
Reply 12
Original post by CTLeafez
Do you agree with police cars being allowed to ram moped thieves off them in a controlled manner?

I think something definitely needs to be done to curb moped gangs...

As you stated in a controlled manner. Those who are authorised to do it, are specially trained within that vehicle group type. I do agree with the method for various reasons, here are a few:

- they are not insured and cause allot of problems for actual insured drivers

- criminals who are mainly using them for theft/robbery.

- allot of the time the mopeds have been stolen.

- they could potentially cause a serious accident or death by ridding.

So Yh, if the area is safe in doing so. They should be curbed off the road by trained IRV drivers.
Reply 13
Original post by Zed03
Do you know the amount of underaged people driving? Does it concern you and how do you deal with it?

I don’t know a specific number of underage drivers. I do get it, I was a teenager once heh. And my main concern is the real reason for insurance. When these un-insured drivers get into an accident. It causes heaps and heaps of **** issues for the insured driver. Also claims are done through the motor Insurence bureau. This is another reasons why Insurence companies decide to raise premiums slightly every year.

Generally any motor vehicle can be checked under the road traffic act. ANPR fitted vehicles also pick up non insured drivers ect. Usually as per procedures fines and points penalties are issued.
Any questions or if anyone’s looking to join? Happy to answer them.

What's your take on drug use?
Have you ever found yourself in a situation with drug dealers / gangs (etc)?
Reply 15
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Ha ha not sure what a dp is. Catheters are easy,. My worst patients are the angry ones and you must get loads of them. And the names they call you. Well done for your job.

Ahh, DP stands for detained person. Ah I do always try my best to calm any angry DP’s down. Unless they are under the influence or suffer from mental health. And for the names, no ones ever called me any. Just been sworn at, touch wood also never been spat at.

And no! Well done for your job, honestly.
Reply 16
My perspective on drug use. Well for one, more people die from drinking alcohol then smoking cannabis. But respectfully cannabis smells, so what I’m trying to hint. Is people need to respect who’s around them, when smoking. On the other hand, Hard drugs. Such as crystal meth, heroine ect. Those are serious life ruining drugs and once hooked could lead you down a dark road.

Yes, I pretty much also deal with allot of drug dealers through out the shift week. There are less gangs around compared the back in the 90’s and early 20’s. I grew up in a rough areas, but the generation of gangs slowly disappeared.
(edited 4 years ago)
Im 25, one second you’re 21. And boom, you wake up and you’re 25. I feel like the years have gone by so much faster recently.

Can I hand myself in for being a sociopath?
Reply 18
Original post by RKtotheskyV1
Can I hand myself in for being a sociopath?

Ahaha, no but if you feel like you’re suffering from mental health issues. Seek medical advice, you might be admitted into a MH ward for monitoring, help, support and advice.
Reply 19
Well everything tends to work like a clock in the Met. And without CID it’s like removing a cog. Unfortunately everything tends comes in work load. And CID mainly work against time, dealing with more complex crime. Response officer usually deal with volume crime/low level crimes.

As you can imagine some complex crimes or serious crimes. Every hour counts and could result in resolving a case. Due to numbers, you will most likely end up doing loads of over time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending