The Student Room Group

I thought my life was set.. Now I'm not too sure. Drop out?

Hello guys.

I'm making this anonymous because there are people I know who use this and I don't want them to know.

I'm currently studying a very hard University course that takes around 6 years to complete. My whole life I have been unsure if this was the path for me and if I would even be happy with the end result.

I am in my third year. My first 2 years were hard but nothing so challenging, I could get through them without giving myself second thoughts. I am currently sitting on an A-A* overall.

Now in third year, I'm not so sure if this is for me anymore.. I have worked my whole educational life off of this occupation and I did it because I was young and at 15-16 you have no idea REALLY what you want to do, so I just chose something I like and went with it. Now I am starting to realise I don't know if I even want this. Even if I finish this course am I even going to want to apply the for the job I have a degree in??

I want to be free and live my life how I want to, and I feel like even a job at Tesco would provide more freedom than the occupation I am studying for. I love my friends and family and spending time with them is one of my priorities, I'm gonna die one day and to me family is so important (morbid I know but still) and I'm scared this job wont even be able to provide that. Not mentioning that I will be under stress every single day.

I am naturally a lazy person. I am capable, I have the best grades of my year twice in a row, but just because I am capable doesn't mean I want to do it..

I am really considering dropping out. I want to become an entrepreneur, I have made almost 10k already from doing different businesses, I can support myself for around 2 years already if I drop out now, without working, to peruse my dreams, but I don't know if that's a smart move...

I have been offered managerial jobs in my previous occupations and I have a diploma and A levels in this occupation, so I could always do this job in a lower rank if I wanted to. I guess these would be my back ups..

Has anyone on here dropped out of University and what was life like afterwards? Any advice on this? Is it too late for me to drop out? I still have years left.. I am worried I'll complete this course and it will be for nothing because I don't want to do it anyway. Also, I am 22.

Thank you for reading. Even if you don't respond but you feel the same as me I wish you luck.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello guys.

I'm making this anonymous because there are people I know who use this and I don't want them to know.

I'm currently studying a very hard University course that takes around 6 years to complete. My whole life I have been unsure if this was the path for me and if I would even be happy with the end result.

I am in my third year. My first 2 years were hard but nothing so challenging, I could get through them without giving myself second thoughts. I am currently sitting on an A-A* overall.

Now in third year, I'm not so sure if this is for me anymore.. I have worked my whole educational life off of this occupation and I did it because I was young and at 15-16 you have no idea REALLY what you want to do, so I just chose something I like and went with it. Now I am starting to realise I don't know if I even want this. Even if I finish this course am I even going to want to apply the for the job I have a degree in??

I want to be free and live my life how I want to, and I feel like even a job at Tesco would provide more freedom than the occupation I am studying for. I love my friends and family and spending time with them is one of my priorities, I'm gonna die one day and to me family is so important (morbid I know but still) and I'm scared this job wont even be able to provide that. Not mentioning that I will be under stress every single day.

I am naturally a lazy person. I am capable, I have the best grades of my year twice in a row, but just because I am capable doesn't mean I want to do it..

I am really considering dropping out. I want to become an entrepreneur, I have made almost 10k already from doing different businesses, I can support myself for around 2 years already if I drop out now, without working, to peruse my dreams, but I don't know if that's a smart move...

I have been offered managerial jobs in my previous occupations and I have a diploma and A levels in this occupation, so I could always do this job in a lower rank if I wanted to. I guess these would be my back ups..

Has anyone on here dropped out of University and what was life like afterwards? Any advice on this? Is it too late for me to drop out? I still have years left.. I am worried I'll complete this course and it will be for nothing because I don't want to do it anyway. Also, I am 22.

Thank you for reading. Even if you don't respond but you feel the same as me I wish you luck.

I have a very similar story to you. I did a degree in an allied health profession, and tailored all my prior academic choices (GCSEs, A levels, work experience) to that career path. Unlike you though, I didn't do particularly well in any of my modules. I lost motivation to try hard as I found everything so difficult and boring, but it never dawned on me to drop out (or at least didn't allow myself to consider it). I stuck it out, and got my degree - however, I didn't get a great classification. I've also never worked in that profession, as I realised that I couldn't see myself doing it even for a second of my working life (an epiphany I had during my final clinical placement).

I'm not going to lie, I had a difficult time after graduating, as many people questioned why I didn't have a job in my studied profession yet, and why I was 'settling' for lower paid jobs (in the sector I now wanted to focus on). Many members of my family still don't truly understand my perspective, and still hold out hope that one day I might return to the profession. That won't happen though, as I'm now doing a PhD in a different (albeit related) area, and won't be returning to the clinical sphere.

It's a pretty long story, but if you'd like to chat more about it, feel free to send me a PM. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I have a very similar story to you. I did a degree in an allied health profession, and tailored all my prior academic choices (GCSEs, A levels, work experience) to that career path. Unlike you though, I didn't do particularly well in any of my modules. I lost motivation to try hard as I found everything so difficult and boring, but it never dawned on me to drop out (or at least didn't allow myself to consider it). I stuck it out, and got my degree - however, I didn't get a great classification. I've also never worked in that profession, as I realised that I couldn't see myself doing it even for a second of my working life (an epiphany I had during my final clinical placement).

I'm not going to lie, I had a difficult time after graduating, as many people questioned why I didn't have a job in my studied profession yet, and why I was 'settling' for lower paid jobs (in the sector I now wanted to focus on). Many members of my family still don't truly understand my perspective, and still hold out hope that one day I might return to the profession. That won't happen though, as I'm now doing a PhD in a different (albeit related) area, and won't be returning to the clinical sphere.

It's a pretty long story, but if you'd like to chat more about it, feel free to send me a PM. :smile:

Thank you for your reply, I will send a PM as I am honestly at a crossroads and so worried about disappointing people right now, no idea what to do. I'd like to learn more about what you did.
Hello guys.

What businesses do you have on the side?
You seem really motivated to continue with your own business & maybe that's the best idea since you don't like your course.

Don't feel pressured to do anything you don't want.
I'm on a gap year after realising I didn't like my degree, so I'm changing after this year.
Reply 4
I fix phones and I sell things online, I am currently looking into studying day trading in the forex market and american markets, but I'm just worried if this doesn't work out, I will just be a bum and my life will succumb to nothing. Every job I've ever seemed to have I get bored easily, and I know people will say 'well life is like that, people don't like the things they do, they do them because they HAVE to', which is true, I just want to do anything possible to try and get myself off the path of being unhappy.

Also, that's really great to hear, I'm happy for you. What made you decide the course you were doing wasn't for you? How did your family react to you dropping out and what did you feel like once you did it? I hope you don't mind the questions. Thanks so much.
I fix phones and I sell things online, I am currently looking into studying day trading in the forex market and american markets, but I'm just worried if this doesn't work out, I will just be a bum and my life will succumb to nothing. Every job I've ever seemed to have I get bored easily, and I know people will say 'well life is like that, people don't like the things they do, they do them because they HAVE to', which is true, I just want to do anything possible to try and get myself off the path of being unhappy.

Also, that's really great to hear, I'm happy for you. What made you decide the course you were doing wasn't for you? How did your family react to you dropping out and what did you feel like once you did it? I hope you don't mind the questions. Thanks so much.

It sounds like you enjoy what you're doing now (in your spare time), maybe you could take some short online courses in the area? See if you enjoy it..?

Don't worry, of course I don't mind the questions :smile:

Well my family were adamant that any degree is better than no degree. But I explained that I just wanted to take a year out because I didn't like my course. So I'm starting a different one in Sept.

What made me decide it wasn't for me?
Well, I didn't like the course full stop, it was boring and not useful. The job prospects were horrible and I didn't like the teaching/modules.

Once I dropped out 'officially', honestly I felt relief. Not going to lie, I wasn't sleeping for weeks before I was worried sick all the time. Was it the right decision? Was I ruining my life? At the end of the day I went with my gut.

Yes this 'new path' is scary and unconventional (within my family anyway), but it's my life and career at the end of the day, not my families or friends'. So I did what I thought was right for me.

If you want to talk some more, feel free to PM me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest