The Student Room Group

Should i drop out of university (Accounting and Finance HELP)

I'm in my first year of Uni studying Accounting and Finance at a non russel group uni but Im not really enjoying it and don't know whether to continue for 3/4 years or drop out and do an apprenticeship. I have no clue how apprenticeships work and how much I'd earn so I appreciate any help and guidance you can give me please
I wouldn't suggest dropping out unless you are absolutely certain of this. Maybe speak to your university and explain your situation. You could transfer onto a course that you're more interested in perhaps?
Reply 2
Original post by jasminefisher089
I wouldn't suggest dropping out unless you are absolutely certain of this. Maybe speak to your university and explain your situation. You could transfer onto a course that you're more interested in perhaps?

thats my problem. i dont like the idea of studying anything else, it doesnt appeal to me. I chose to do an accounting and finance degree because it was the only thing i could see myself studying. I dont like my sciences/engineering and during college i liked doing economics A-Level but for a degree i saw Accounting as a better option as it opens more doors VS an economics degree.. but now i feel like i might be better off doing an apprenticeship for relevant accounting skills.
Original post by emadara
thats my problem. i dont like the idea of studying anything else, it doesnt appeal to me. I chose to do an accounting and finance degree because it was the only thing i could see myself studying. I dont like my sciences/engineering and during college i liked doing economics A-Level but for a degree i saw Accounting as a better option as it opens more doors VS an economics degree.. but now i feel like i might be better off doing an apprenticeship for relevant accounting skills.

What about Law? It could take you anywhere and then you could do a postgraduate course in business and finance which won't be for 3 whole years?
Reply 4
What about Law? It could take you anywhere and then you could do a postgraduate course in business and finance which won't be for 3 whole years?

I dont like the idea of law either to be honest with you. I know a person who switched courses from Law to my course and hearing his opinion on course content and such made me realise i wouldnt want to do it.
Hi! An apprenticeship is a great alternative to university. The current rate is £3.90 which is disappointing but I do believe it will be going up 6.4%. If you do go for an apprenticeship, make sure to get an apprentice extra card and look out for the National Society of Apprentices who will represent you if your employer is acting dodgy, if you're unsure, etc!

Original post by emadara
I'm in my first year of Uni studying Accounting and Finance at a non russel group uni but Im not really enjoying it and don't know whether to continue for 3/4 years or drop out and do an apprenticeship. I have no clue how apprenticeships work and how much I'd earn so I appreciate any help and guidance you can give me please
Original post by emadara
I dont like the idea of law either to be honest with you. I know a person who switched courses from Law to my course and hearing his opinion on course content and such made me realise i wouldnt want to do it.

That is fair enough! It seems as though an apprenticeship would be the best idea for you, you would be working and earning whilst being paid which is a great combination. Good luck with your future and I hope that you enjoy the choice that you make!
Why you studying accountancy do you want to be an accountant? If you do there’s no point going uni and studying accountancy as you can learn it through an apprenticeship and get paid too
Reply 8
Any idea how i go about applying to apprenticeships in accounting?
Reply 9
That is fair enough! It seems as though an apprenticeship would be the best idea for you, you would be working and earning whilst being paid which is a great combination. Good luck with your future and I hope that you enjoy the choice that you make!

Thanks very much and you too.
Do you have any idea how i go about applying for apprenticeships?
Reply 10
Original post by zombie2233
Why you studying accountancy do you want to be an accountant? If you do there’s no point going uni and studying accountancy as you can learn it through an apprenticeship and get paid too

Yup pretty much an accountant or some sort of career in accounting. How do i go about this?
I have no clue this is why im at uni and am considering an apprenticeship
Original post by emadara
Thanks very much and you too.
Do you have any idea how i go about applying for apprenticeships?

I don't I'm afraid, but I'm sure there will be a chat on here to help you with that.
Original post by emadara
Any idea how i go about applying to apprenticeships in accounting?

Look here https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending