The Student Room Group

A-level AQA Spanish Paper 1 and 2 Revision and Study Chat

Welcome A-level AQA Spanish Paper 1 and 2 Revision and Study Chat!

The exam timetable is:

Thursday 21st May 2020: Paper 1 (7692/1)

Friday 5th June 2020: Paper 2 (7692/2)

How are you feeling about these exams? Do you feel prepared? What have you started doing to prepare for your exams? Comment down below!

How to prepare for the exams (general tips)

This thread is for anyone that is studying A-level Spanish (AQA). Chat below and find other students in the same situation as you! Help each other revise, study and find resources. Good luck everyone

Scroll to see replies

Will keep updating this post with all the recommended resources, links and useful posts that are mentioned in this group :smile:

Specification: AQA A-level Spanish Specification

Recommended resources:

Recommended TSR resources:
Find your Uni group chats here!
Find the Modern Languages Applicants thread here>>

Useful posts:
Which Book and Film are people studying? I’m doing Crónica de una muerte anunciada and El laberinto del fauno :smile:
I’m doing the most popular combo, La casa de Bernada Alba and Volver!
Reply 4
Original post by carrotkate
Which Book and Film are people studying? I’m doing Crónica de una muerte anunciada and El laberinto del fauno :smile:

Im doing Maria llena eres de gracia and Como agua para chocolate
im doing maria and como agua as well
Original post by watershower
I’m doing the most popular combo, La casa de Bernada Alba and Volver!

That's what I am doing to. Could you help please? My teacher is crap. What grades are you getting, if you don't mind me asking, and could you give me any tips if possible?

I have studied Pan's Labyrinth in Film studies, any help you may want, let me know, as I understand the film, inside and out

I’m also doing Crónica but Volver instead of el laberinto. Loved analysing the film but found the book a bit long winded to analyse, although it’s an excellent piece of literature.
Original post by misslyddiero
That's what I am doing to. Could you help please? My teacher is crap. What grades are you getting, if you don't mind me asking, and could you give me any tips if possible?

my grades fluctuate a LOT so it’s not reliable at all. it entirely depends on the questions and the reading paper..which is good but bad at the same time lol
for the movie it’s sooo easy to get marks. i’m not a native speaker by the way. the most important thing is accuracy, so grammar is important. my teacher tells us to include these things in every essay:
ni ni clause
no solo...sino también
si clause (use subjunctive such as hubiera, it gains you marks even if you get it wrong)
subjunctive such as no creo que sea/haya
- almodóvar - talk about his background and include quotes. there are so many on quizlet and i get all my quotes from there (including la casa). i have about 3 memorised for volver and it gives me the marks.
- spain (if relevant include franco and all símbolos of spain such as the colours (rojo es un color de la bandera de españa and almodóvar uses it a lot in his film. the theme of death you can talk about how it is viewed positively in spain and of course any tabú link it back to spanish society such as violencia de género hacia Paula) sorry for my spanglish, i get mixed up sometimes and my phone is in spanish so it autocorrects ugh!

la casa de bernada is very hard, all the books are in general. you need a lot more quotes and it’s harder to get marks for analysis. i average around 32/40 for volver but only around 25/40 for la casa T_T i’m working on it...
advice...i would say have set quotes memorised for each character so you can just whip them out in the exam.
look up alll the símbolos you can because they are marks for analysis. if you need i can email pictures of resources my teacher has given me, i find them useful.
use the same sentence structures i mentioned before and more such as any idioms you know.
mention Lorca any time it is possible and relate him to the main themes such as class and the role of women.
this is una obra (forgot how to say obra in english oops) por el dramaturgo so use as much literary language you can such as “acotaciones” (stage directions) and “escenario”.
most importantly link back to the question...if there’s one thing i’ve learnt is that in the movie essay you can get away with not linking to the question as long as your knowledge is suffice but for the book questions you’re DOOMED if you do not link back. all of your analysis will not make sense. say the question is talking about how Lorca’s viewpoints are shown in la obra but you talk about the role of Adela and gender. yeah, great, but it asked about Lorca! in the movie essays the questions are a bit more vague so you can work your way around it if you forget some stuff.

hope that was helpful for anyone who read it, i’m not the perfect student so tips are appreciated. feel free to ask more questions or i can email you resources like i previously said. sorry this was so long lmao
Omg ! I'm doing the exact same ones, maybe we could help each other, as I am home schooled? message me on ig if you like @juju.onda.b

Omg ! I'm doing the exact same ones, maybe we could help each other, as I am home schooled? message me on ig if you like @juju.onda.b
What set introductory phrases/introduction do you use at the start of a spanish film/book essay?
Original post by meganoleary
What set introductory phrases/introduction do you use at the start of a spanish film/book essay?

it’s important that it’s as succinct as possible as you get no marks for it, it only helps your essay flow better.

i would include a bit of information about the author/director. so for Lorca I would include he was a famous playwright and poet during the time period and he died just before the end of the civil war.

after i would include an extremely short synopsis of the book/movie eg La casa de bernarda alba is about una mandona that keeps her 5 daughters locked in the house during a mourning period of 8 years, and it leads to the suicide of Adela.

Lastly, i would end the question by directly responding to the question (that does not mean i answer it). for example, i would say, in this essay, i am going to explain how Lorca creates tension throughout the play by using different techniques. End! Then move on to the body of the essay.

it shouldn’t be very long
Is anyone doing Los Bicicletas son para el verano?!?!
I really like this play but there are absolutely NO resources to help anywhere and no one else seems to be doing it! I'm finding it so difficult, I am also doing Volver btw:smile:
Original post by Izzyt4
Im doing Maria llena eres de gracia and Como agua para chocolate

How are you finding it? :smile:
Original post by misslyddiero
I have studied Pan's Labyrinth in Film studies, any help you may want, let me know, as I understand the film, inside and out

Thank you! We had a question the other day about how directors techniques represent the regime of terror of living in post war Spain- how would you approach this?
Original post by dracodale
I’m also doing Crónica but Volver instead of el laberinto. Loved analysing the film but found the book a bit long winded to analyse, although it’s an excellent piece of literature.

I agree it is fab but hard to study, I think the non-chronological structure makes it difficult to remember for an exam as your brain forms a chronology and you have to remember where the parts actually fit within the work
Original post by JulianaOlinda20

Ahh amazing! Yeah I’ll add you! :smile:
Thank you! We had a question the other day about how directors techniques represent the regime of terror of living in post war Spain- how would you approach this?

Well, firstly I would address the issues with Franco regime and fascism as a whole, the cruelty behind it. I have studied the director in film and found that Del Toro hated the church and hated fascism/Franco. Del toro used Pan’s as a film which portrays his hate towards these topics. I recommend choosing 3 scenes relating to this, which in personal experience, I would choose Pale Man sequence, the dinner party hosted by Vidal and the Faun as this all represents the hate Del Toro has for the above topics. Remember PEE- point, evidence, explain. So to conclude, del toro uses characters to represent different things he hated but also things he loved... for example Vidal vs. Ofelia (Vidal reps fascism and Odelia reps liberal Spain)- make links. Maybe try some quotes too... for example, Vidal speaks about a new Spain.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending