The Student Room Group

Graduate entry medicine funding for 2020 entry as an EU student

I just got an offer to study a graduate-entry medicine course for entry in September 2020. I have a previous BSc in Biomedical Science funded by SFE.

I am an EU person.

I am aware that for graduate entry medicine students in first year have to self fund the first £3465 and can take a loan for the rest of the fee (£5785). Then for the rest of the years, NHS pays £3715 and SFE loans can cover the remaining £5535.
The websites I visited say that EU students have “home” status in terms of the amount of fees they have to pay for the courses starting in 2020. What I’ve not yet been able to find the answer to is whether this also means EU students can take out these loans from SFE to fund the fees (£5785 in first year and £5535 in years 2-4)? And does the NHS pay £3715/year in years 2-4 for EU students as well?
Reply 1
I’m not sure if this is relevant, but I can also mention that since graduating in July 2018 from my BSc course I’ve been working full time in England (this would mean I’ll have been working full time for 2 years before starting graduate entry medicine in 2020).

Thank you
Original post by goaT1
I’m not sure if this is relevant, but I can also mention that since graduating in July 2018 from my BSc course I’ve been working full time in England (this would mean I’ll have been working full time for 2 years before starting graduate entry medicine in 2020).

Thank you

Hi there,

How many years have you lived in the UK for?

Thanks, Erin
Reply 3
Hi Erin,

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve moved here in September 2015 for my BSc, meaning that so far I’ve lived in the UK for 3 years for full time university study, followed by a year and a half of full time work, which is ongoing (as I am still currently at my job here).
Original post by goaT1
Hi Erin,

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve moved here in September 2015 for my BSc, meaning that so far I’ve lived in the UK for 3 years for full time university study, followed by a year and a half of full time work, which is ongoing (as I am still currently at my job here).

To be eligible as a home student you will need to have lived in the UK for 5 years prior to the start of your academic year. If this is not the case you may be eligible to apply as a migrant worker for your course to ensure you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan. This would mean you need to continue to work throughout your studies to remain eligible for this funding.

If not then as an EU student it would be tuition fees only.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 5
Hi Erin,

So even if I don’t continue to work throughout my studies I can still get the loan to cover the Tuition Fees, did I understand that correctly?
Original post by goaT1
Hi Erin,

So even if I don’t continue to work throughout my studies I can still get the loan to cover the Tuition Fees, did I understand that correctly?

Yes this is correct.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 7
Thank you very much for the information Erin!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending