The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS University of London Entry 2021

Hello,

While it still may seem quite a way away, I just wondered if there was anyone else on here that is looking to go to SOAS University of London in 2021. If so, what are you hoping to study?

I'd just love to get to know some people that are also considering SOAS in 2021 because why not :smile:)

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I'm actually already at SOAS in my third year doing Chinese and IR, so please let me know if you have any questions!
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by Smoke and Bone
Hey! I'm actually already at SOAS in my third year doing Chinese and IR, so please let me know if you have any questions!

Hey, thank you so much! What's it like studying there, the library looks amazing!
Original post by Lottie_smith02
Hey, thank you so much! What's it like studying there, the library looks amazing!

I love it! I'm actually writing this in the library haha (pro tip: B floor is the best). I enjoy my course a lot, but the social side is really fun too. Which course are you thinking of studying?
I love it! I'm actually writing this in the library haha (pro tip: B floor is the best). I enjoy my course a lot, but the social side is really fun too. Which course are you thinking of studying?

Aw that’s so cool, I’ll keep that I mind. What’s your course like? I’m hoping to study law with a year abroad and hopefully do some Korean language classes while I’m there :smile:)
Aw that’s so cool, I’ll keep that I mind. What’s your course like? I’m hoping to study law with a year abroad and hopefully do some Korean language classes while I’m there :smile:)

Chinese and IR is really good (especially the year abroad) but the workload can get a bit heavy sometimes so it's good to stay on top of things! Definitely do a year abroad if you can - my year in Beijing was amazing! It's such a great opportunity to immerse yourself in the language you're learning, and teaches you so many life skills! I've heard great things from my friends who study Korean - apparently the teachers are really kind!
Chinese and IR is really good (especially the year abroad) but the workload can get a bit heavy sometimes so it's good to stay on top of things! Definitely do a year abroad if you can - my year in Beijing was amazing! It's such a great opportunity to immerse yourself in the language you're learning, and teaches you so many life skills! I've heard great things from my friends who study Korean - apparently the teachers are really kind!

I really hope I can do a year abroad. Beijing?! That's amazing, what was it like if you don't mind me asking? Ah that's great, thank you.
I really hope I can do a year abroad. Beijing?! That's amazing, what was it like if you don't mind me asking? Ah that's great, thank you.

I really enjoyed it! There were bits that were hard - dealing with pollution, language barrier etc but overall I learnt a lot from those experiences, and it brought me and my friends really close together. The classes were very different from the ones at SOAS - it felt kind of like being back at school, but the teachers were great. I also really enjoyed spending the holidays travelling - I went to Seoul over the winter break which was awesome! I really miss it now, although it's nice to be back somewhere I can get vegan food super easily haha
I really enjoyed it! There were bits that were hard - dealing with pollution, language barrier etc but overall I learnt a lot from those experiences, and it brought me and my friends really close together. The classes were very different from the ones at SOAS - it felt kind of like being back at school, but the teachers were great. I also really enjoyed spending the holidays travelling - I went to Seoul over the winter break which was awesome! I really miss it now, although it's nice to be back somewhere I can get vegan food super easily haha

That's awesome, I'm glad it was good. Ah I'm so excited to go now. Aha good good. Thank you again.
Reply 9
Hey Lottie! Hoping to study at SOAS in 2021 with my best friend if all goes according to plan :smile:.
Original post by saidaaaa
Hey Lottie! Hoping to study at SOAS in 2021 with my best friend if all goes according to plan :smile:.

Hey! Ah cool, what are you both planning on studying? :h:

I'm doing BA Korean (now transferring to Korean and IR for third and fourth year) so if you have any questions about that let me know!
Hey! Ah cool, what are you both planning on studying? :h:

we both wanna do BA Korean as a joint honours degree with something else; me with Chinese Studies (or maybe something else) and her with International Relations
Original post by saidaaaa
we both wanna do BA Korean as a joint honours degree with something else; me with Chinese Studies (or maybe something else) and her with International Relations

Woah that's so cool
Hello,

While it still may seem quite a way away, I just wondered if there was anyone else on here that is looking to go to SOAS University of London in 2021. If so, what are you hoping to study?

I'd just love to get to know some people that are also considering SOAS in 2021 because why not :smile:)

Hey!
I'm looking to do Korean at university and SOAS offers combined courses so hopefully I will do their Development Studies and Korean course which includes a year abroad. I was just wondering if you knew why theres been problems with applications to SOAS for 2021. I know I've having issues applying to SOAS on my UCAS.
Original post by umbrellala
I'm doing BA Korean (now transferring to Korean and IR for third and fourth year) so if you have any questions about that let me know!

Hey I'm looking to start Korean in 2021 as well as Development Studies. Was just wondering what the work was like for the Korean classes
Original post by Jamjam718
Hey!
I'm looking to do Korean at university and SOAS offers combined courses so hopefully I will do their Development Studies and Korean course which includes a year abroad. I was just wondering if you knew why theres been problems with applications to SOAS for 2021. I know I've having issues applying to SOAS on my UCAS.

Hey heyyy, oh nice! Yeah, I’ve been having troubles as well, I emailed them at the start of the week asking for any updates etc but I haven't heard anything (not surprising as we're in lockdown). If I do hear anything, I’ll let you know :smile:
Hey heyyy, oh nice! Yeah, I’ve been having troubles as well, I emailed them at the start of the week asking for any updates etc but I haven't heard anything (not surprising as we're in lockdown). If I do hear anything, I’ll let you know :smile:

Yea same I emailed them a few days ago too. If i get anything ill put it on here :smile:

Okay so i just found out that applications for SOAS for 2021 start do not open until Mid-November. Its a while wait but at least its clear why there were issues :smile:
Original post by Jamjam718
Okay so i just found out that applications for SOAS for 2021 start do not open until Mid-November. Its a while wait but at least its clear why there were issues :smile:

Thank you! Yeah, I just got an email about it. At least I can stop worrying now :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending