The Student Room Group

Is it possible to disown my mom?

She was really abusive towards me when I was younger is it possible to disown her as my official mom?
Not that I know of.
1. Wait till you're 18 and leave
2. Live with another family member / guardian if you cannot live with your mother.

Wish you the best :smile:
Reply 2
Technically yes, either not speaking to her or engaging with her again once you become independent, or going down the drastic route of legally 'divorcing' her through emancipation. Idk if people have ever done it, doesn't seem like it'd be very common
Reply 3
Yes. If your mum was abusive to you as a kid you have the ability to not let her in your adult life.
Reply 4
depends on how abusive? If she just slaps you around cause you don't listen probably for the best so that you can grow up to be a better person.
Original post by Seris
depends on how abusive? If she just slaps you around cause you don't listen probably for the best so that you can grow up to be a better person.

Please don't condone child abuse
Reply 6
Ok, so if your child is misbehaving and you decide to slap him its child abuse ok. . . Just a question are you white?

Original post by bones-mccoy
Please don't condone child abuse
Original post by Seris
Ok, so if your child is misbehaving and you decide to slap him its child abuse ok. . . Just a question are you white?

Yes. A smack is very different from a slap.

I am white but I fail to see how my race is relevant.
Reply 8
I think my work here is done people lol.
Original post by Seris
I think my work here is done people lol.

Hitting a.child encourages one thing: fear.
When my mum raises her hand towards me I don't respect her, and I most certainly don't plan on changing my behaviour. All it does is make me plan for a financially independent future where I never have to see her again.
If you hit your children, present or future, you will only make them scared of you.
Original post by princetonalec
Hitting a.child encourages one thing: fear.
When my mum raises her hand towards me I don't respect her, and I most certainly don't plan on changing my behaviour. All it does is make me plan for a financially independent future where I never have to see her again.
If you hit your children, present or future, you will only make them scared of you.

Slapping doesn’t work after a bit anyway. I got hit so often as a teen that I became immune to it, like, oh lol great another slap 😂
Original post by Seris

Yeah, like you need to be a horrible parent if you can't come up with a non violent way to educate your kid on a regular basis. It's not that difficult to use your words, but some people are incapable to think of that or to admit they're bad parents.
Original post by Seris

Pretty much every study on the matter has found that corporal punishment either doesn't work or is less effective than methods of positive reinforcement, and in the context of corporal punishment by close family has been found to cause long term mental health issues and impact development. This is true even when it is alternated with periods of excess care and expressions of love, or "smothering" with love.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending