The Student Room Group

Would I be more likely to be accepted into Cambridge with A*A*A or A*A*A B?

Would the B drag me down or be viewed as an achievement?
On a course where the grade requirement is A*A*A

Scroll to see replies

It would help as you have the same qualifications as the AAA person plus an extra qualification. I’m not sure how much of an advantage it would give you though.
Reply 2
Original post by Christos2209
Would the B drag me down or be viewed as an achievement?
On a course where the grade requirement is A*A*A

Are you applying with those grades achieved, or predicted?

Which course are you considering and what subject is the B in?
Original post by Doones
Are you applying with those grades achieved, or predicted?

Which course are you considering and what subject is the B in?

These aren't anything I've attained, but it's something I feel I might possibly attain and I'm applying for engineering with maths, further maths, physics, and product design. That B is in further maths.
Reply 4
These aren't anything I've attained, but it's something I feel I might possibly attain and I'm applying for engineering with maths, further maths, physics, and product design. That B is in further maths.

You usually apply before achieving your A-level grades not after. Your predicted marks are provided by your school referee.

But if you are predicted (or achieve) a B in FM that could indeed count against you. FM is helpful for Engineering, and it's not uncommon for a Cambridge offer to specify an A* in that subject if you are studying it.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/engineering#entry-requirements

"Further Mathematics is very strongly encouraged. If unavailable or you’ve recognised its desirability too late, we’d advise you to do as much additional pure maths and mechanics as possible, eg by studying advanced material or Further Mathematics AS Level."
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Doones
You usually apply before achieving your A-level grades not after. Your predicted marks are provided by your school referee.

But if you are predicted (or achieve) a B in FM that could indeed count against you. FM is helpful for Engineering, and it's not uncommon for a Cambridge offer to specify a A* in that subject if you are studying it.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/engineering#entry-requirements

"Further Mathematics is very strongly encouraged. If unavailable or you’ve recognised its desirability too late, we’d advise you to do as much additional pure maths and mechanics as possible, eg by studying advanced material or Further Mathematics AS Level."

agreed i know nothing about uni lol (compared to some people on here) but yeah the B should have been for DT and not FM... what a shame

then as doones said it will hold you back...
Original post by Doones

But if you are predicted (or achieve) a B in FM that could indeed count against you. FM is helpful for Engineering, and it's not uncommon for a Cambridge offer to specify an A* in that subject if you are studying it.

"Further Mathematics is very strongly encouraged. If unavailable or you’ve recognised its desirability too late, we’d advise you to do as much additional pure maths and mechanics as possible, eg by studying advanced material or Further Mathematics AS Level.

But would I be better off without the further maths a level at all then? Or with the B.
Reply 8
But would I be better off without the further maths a level at all then? Or with the B.

I quoted the entry requirements, not having FM if your school offers it will disadvantage you for Cambridge.

Engineering is basically applied mathematics and physics. Doing well in FM will help you no matter which university you go to.
Original post by Doones
I quoted the entry requirements, not having FM if your school offers it will disadvantage you for Cambridge.

Engineering is basically applied mathematics and physics. Doing well in FM will help you no matter which university you go to.

But would Cambridge see that B in FM as "doing well" or view it as "why didn't you get an A*"?
Ideally you need an A or A* in Further Maths, so you'd be better off dropping Product Design so you have time to concentrate on your Further Maths grade.
Reply 11
But would Cambridge see that B in FM as "doing well" or view it as "why didn't you get an A*"?

The later. As I said, many offers specify an A* in FM.
Reply 12
Original post by ShootForTheStars
Ideally you need an A or A* in Further Maths, so you'd be better off dropping Product Design so you have time to concentrate on your Further Maths grade.

Yes, or apply to universities that aren't so interested in FM

Agreed

What about a further maths AS? Or would that just be even worse 😂
Reply 15
What about a further maths AS? Or would that just be even worse 😂

If you get an A then yes that can be helpful.

Honestly, the point is to do well in maths and get good predictions from your referee to at least meet the typical requirements.

Then you need to do well in the rest of your application, including ENGAA and the interview, and then if you get an offer.

Only then do you need to worry about actually meeting the offer requirements.

A 'B', or not taking FM will be an issue. Do it, and see what happens. Good luck.
(edited 4 years ago)
Okay so I got an update. Here's what my likely predictions are going to be:
Maths A*
Physics A*
Product design A*
Further maths A or B

I'm thinking of applying to computer science or electrical engineering because I want to become a quant developer. I prefer electrical but think a compsci degree would be stronger for my career. Also I think I'm a stronger applicant for EEE than of CS.
Advice for the degree to take and for the FM problem?

Very much the latter. If dropping product design will increase your chances of getting an A or A* in FM you should definitely do that. In the event that you do get an offer, it would almost certainly specify an A in FM and quite possibly an A*. Dropping FM is not a good idea either (if you are aiming for Cambridge) because it will weaken your application, and honestly if you did get in having dropped FM because you couldn't get above a B in it I think you would struggle a lot with the course.
What about computer science at imperial college? I'd think my odds are also quite bad, but when I input my information into the ucas offer rate calculator I get about 74%.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending