The Student Room Group

UCAS no predicted grades

Hi sent my reference out to my old school on Sunday, they didn't complete the reference until today. However, I got an email stating they had put no predicted grades.

Emailed to question why no predicted grades and was told that because I'm no longer taught there (I am sitting exams privately) they were unable and unwilling to put any down.

Therefore I have a UCAS application with no predicted grades! What do I do? UCAS online is suggesting I contact the universities directly offering another referee but I don't actually have anyone who's teaching me and could therefore provide "predicted grades" based on teaching me.
Reply 1
Original post by failsucceed
Hi sent my reference out to my old school on Sunday, they didn't complete the reference until today. However, I got an email stating they had put no predicted grades.

Emailed to question why no predicted grades and was told that because I'm no longer taught there (I am sitting exams privately) they were unable and unwilling to put any down.

Therefore I have a UCAS application with no predicted grades! What do I do? UCAS online is suggesting I contact the universities directly offering another referee but I don't actually have anyone who's teaching me and could therefore provide "predicted grades" based on teaching me.

Do you have any actual results, e’g. did you take AS’s?
Original post by failsucceed

You don't need predicted grades. They're optional for a reason. Universities don't put much weighting on predicted grades because they're proven to be unreliable.

If a university needs them then they'll contact you directly to ask for your target grades but if you're worried then ring your universities up this afternoon/tomorrow to just check that they're happy with this if you're resitting your exams.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
You don't need predicted grades. They're optional for a reason. Universities don't put much weighting on predicted grades because they're proven to be unreliable.

If a university needs them then they'll contact you directly to ask for your target grades but if you're worried then ring your universities up this afternoon/tomorrow to just check that they're happy with this if you're resitting your exams.

Really, even for top ranking unis, they don’t want predictions?
Original post by satsun
Really, even for top ranking unis, they don’t want predictions?

They don't USE predictions - that would be unfair because some schools make high predictions and others make low predictions (and there's evidence that students from poorer backgrounds tend to get lower predictions).
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
They don't USE predictions - that would be unfair because some schools make high predictions and others make low predictions (and there's evidence that students from poorer backgrounds tend to get lower predictions).

so how can academic unis make decisions on applications?
Original post by satsun
so how can academic unis make decisions on applications?

Based on achieved qualifications, subject mix, personal statement and reference. Or interview, portfolio or entrance exam if this isn't sufficient.

The vast majority of courses (even "top ranking" ones) don't actually reject many applicants. Courses rejecting more than 1 in 4 applications are in a tiny tiny minority - and will often be courses using interviews/entrance exams or similar to supplement the UCAS information.
Reply 7
Thanks all. I called 4/5 unis and will call the last tomorrow morning. FYI Manchester said they required predicted grades as they DO use them - Cardiff and Leeds said it was out of my control so I just needed an email to join my application explaining the situation and the fact that I had spoken to admissions about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending