The Student Room Group

My mum lied about her age

So she always told me she was born in 1972
However when we went to the hospital today she had to confirm her date of birth, she told them the same month and day I was told, but 1968. Making her 4 years older. I don't know the exact age of her siblings but I'm sure it would make her the 3rd youngest of 7 siblings not the 2nd youngest too, as she said her brother is 3 years older.

I don't understand why she would do this? Confused, and losing trust in everyone

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Many women lie about their age especially the ones from age 30-60 normally its about a 2-4 year difference. Not unusual at all
It’s immature and silly to lie to your own children about your age, but she’s clearly just insecure. A lot of women (and men) lie about their age, so I wouldn’t lose faith in humanity because of it.
I just find it weird, I'm her daughter, her age has no significance to me. I get women lie about their age to others but why me?

Also my Dad is 13 / 9 years older than her, they're still together, so it's not even like she would've needed to lie to him about her age as the gap is big anyway
Original post by Zed03
Many women lie about their age especially the ones from age 30-60 normally its about a 2-4 year difference. Not unusual at all

Bit different if it's your mum though
Can I just ask, why you think it matters? If you never know her age, what difference will it make to your life and relationship with your mother?
Reply 6
Original post by Burton Bridge
Can I just ask, why you think it matters? If you never know her age, what difference will it make to your life and relationship with your mother?

Well yeah it doesn't matter too much but I just find it weird, also in case of emergency it might sound bad I don't know my mum's birthday
Original post by Anonymous
I just find it weird, I'm her daughter, her age has no significance to me. I get women lie about their age to others but why me?

Also my Dad is 13 / 9 years older than her, they're still together, so it's not even like she would've needed to lie to him about her age as the gap is big anyway

If she originally lied to your dad when dating him then it was probably to remain consistency in her story. Although you'd think the truth would have come out years ago.
Reply 8
However when we went to the hospital today she had to confirm her date of birth, she told them the same month and day I was told, but 1968. Making her 4 years older. I don't know the exact age of her siblings but I'm sure it would make her the 3rd youngest of 7 siblings not the 2nd youngest too, as she said her brother is 3 years older.

I don't understand why she would do this? Confused, and losing trust in everyone

Maybe she was just a pathological liar, it probably doesn't mean too much
Original post by joelyyy
Maybe she was just a pathological liar, it probably doesn't mean too much

I’m sure that’s very comforting to the OP.

Society does judge you for your age. I’m in my 30s and people think I’m younger, but I always feel judged when people find out. I don’t lie about my age, but I don’t go out of my way to tell people either. Your mum probably just lied to someone once and it was easy for her to continue the lie. She probably started to believe it herself.
Well yeah it doesn't matter too much but I just find it weird, also in case of emergency it might sound bad I don't know my mum's birthday

Not really, just say she's a funny bugger when it comes to age, tell the medical staff the story. Trust me it wont be the first time they have heard it, probably in the week nevermind full stop.

There is several reasons, I'm not normally big on playing a victims but let's be honest society's full of stereotypes, a young pretty women is treated very differently to a average middle aged woman. The same for men also but its it's different prejudices we face.

What I'm saying is, what does it matter? I can tell you a story about my grandad, which sounds bonkers and you would never get away with it in modern time. He effectively swapped identity with his bother, so he could work longer and his brother could retire earlier. This led to secretary over his age, mum never knew how old his was until he died. And the death cert said a different name lol

Families are weird, people are weird, dont worry about it. Love your mum and let her love you. Age is nothing
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11

I only found out my mum and dads age by accident.

each time i asked them they lied or said they was 21
(edited 4 years ago)
I really wouldn't lose trust in everyone so soon, if I were you! Mums are funny, full stop. I presume she doesn't lie about loving you, since you were at the hospital with her today you two must be close. It seems like a little vanity / insecurity. Let it go, then have a chat with her about it later, at a neutral time.
I suppose it's fairly common for women to lie about their age, especially when they're getting older and can become more self-conscious, but it's weird to lie about it to their children. Understandable if it's someone they're interested in romantically/sexually but your child isn't going to care what age their mum is.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by bones-mccoy
I suppose it's fairly common for women to lie about their age, especially when they're getting older and can become more self-conscious, but it's weird to lie about it to their children. Understandable if it's someone they're interested in romantically/sexually but your child isn't going to care what age their mum is.

that was a mistake repping you. I'm on my phone and meant to scroll but the screen held and tapped.
Erm anyway

I wonder what else she's hiding from you :ashamed2:
Original post by Bang Outta Order
that was a mistake repping you. I'm on my phone and meant to scroll but the screen held and tapped.

Genuinely heartbroken
Genuinely heartbroken

:rofl:
Genuinely heartbroken

It's less for you to know
And more for onlookers to know.
Original post by Bang Outta Order

You’re an old charmer lol

Quick Reply

Latest