The Student Room Group

A level biology

Hi guys, I started A level recently and everything seems to be going smoothly, However biology is a bit of a weird one. Some of the stuff i get taught in class e.g certain key words, or small processes in a topic aren't mentioned in my textbook or specification at all. does this mean i still have to know these things or do i not because they're not in my textbook as well the specification.
If they are not linked to the spec in any way then no
Reply 2
is there not I the spec why do you need it know, it aint coming into the exam
Reply 3
Original post by molerer
is there not I the spec why do you need it know, it aint coming into the exam

thats exactly what i was thinking, but sometimes the key-words he teaches are mentioned in the textbook, but it does not go into very deep detail like my teacher does???
Reply 4
Original post by Cocochdy
If they are not linked to the spec in any way then no

some of these words are linked, however he sometimes goes into very deep detail about them, but in the textbook its mentions it very briefly. so this confuses if i should learn the long way he teaches us or just learn from what the textbook does which is short
Original post by Safwanislam
some of these words are linked, however he sometimes goes into very deep detail about them, but in the textbook its mentions it very briefly. so this confuses if i should learn the long way he teaches us or just learn from what the textbook does which is short

My teacher does that too tbh, they tend to go in excessive detail so I think you should stick to your textbook. Also, a good indicator of how much detail you need are past papers - you might want to look at some questions and mark schemes :smile:
Reply 6
My teacher does that too tbh, they tend to go in excessive detail so I think you should stick to your textbook. Also, a good indicator of how much detail you need are past papers - you might want to look at some questions and mark schemes :smile:

ok thanks! do you do A level biology as well? if so, how are you finding it?
ok thanks! do you do A level biology as well? if so, how are you finding it?

Yes, I'm in year 13 doing edexcel bio. It's going so-so as there are some concepts that are just soo confusing (immunity...ugh:s-smilie:). Also, presuming you are still in year 12 right now and doing edexcel: beware of the photosynthesis topic next year
Reply 8
Yes, I'm in year 13 doing edexcel bio. It's going so-so as there are some concepts that are just soo confusing (immunity...ugh:s-smilie:). Also, presuming you are still in year 12 right now and doing edexcel: beware of the photosynthesis topic next year

haha i have heard from some friends in yr 13 that photosynthesis is tricky, how was the transition from yr 12 to 13 was it quite big or is the difficulty still similar?
haha i have heard from some friends in yr 13 that photosynthesis is tricky, how was the transition from yr 12 to 13 was it quite big or is the difficulty still similar?

It's not as scary as people tend to portray it. However you need to put in much more work into it than for year 12 because year 12 includes concepts from GCSE, whilst year 13 is all new stuff (unless you are a biology geek i guess)

Quick Reply

Latest