The Student Room Group

Jewish student ? Fakes identity?

At university, I recently came across this Jewish student at a nightlife event at university. He was drinking a lot and we decided to have a chat. This guy is 23 and graduated last year but his girlfriend studies here so he comes to uni sometimes.

His family from his dad's side is from Israel and his grandparents live in Israel. But he wouldnt tell me that. Instead he kept saying hes from Germany as he was he was born there. His name is huge giveaway that hes Israeli and he finally said he is but seemed uncomfortable. He never says hes from Israel or his family from there. Instead he keeps saying hes from Germany to everyone.
He also said he faced antisemitic slurs in his first year at this university and at several places around London.

Surprisingly, his girlfriend and his large group of friends are all anti and boycott Israel fellows. The university is very left wing and being Jewish can be stigmatized here. A few of them have harassed Jewish students as well and they extremely disrespectful of Israeli flag. He and his friends/gf are all members of the SU and basically obsess over the school's politics and management. While his friends/gf know hes Jewish, I'm assuming they like him since hes the poster "progressive Jew".

While some campaigns are legitimate, I find all of them to be oppressive and bullies. They harass and intimidate people who dont agree with their views and have kicked students at hard pickets.

I have had a conflict with a friend of his as she was at the hard picket and wouldnt let me enter the campus, asking me to go to other universities for study spaces since she and the rest wouldnt let me in.

I really liked the guy as he seemed genuinely nice and thoughtful but I fail to understand why he spends time with people who are very much against him and his identity? To the point where he has to fake his identity? What's wrong with the society where people have to hide themselves?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Most people in Israel did move there from other countries and the guy may well have been born and grown up in Germany.
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
Most people in Israel did move there from other countries and the guy may well have been born and grown up in Germany.

Yes but it doesnt make him a native german.
Reply 4

I'm French but born and brought up in the UK. But I'm not saying I'm British. I'm French and British. That's the question about.
It makes him more native German than native Israeli.
Exactly - he was born in Germany so he is a German Jew.
He's probably a dual national.
Maybe he's been targeted by hate criminals or those who hate Israelis and wants to avoid it happening again.
I've always been a magnet for jew hating conspiracy theorists/racists and anti-Israeli ranters because my first name is popular in Israel.
I'm not Israeli, don't have any Jewish ancestry, no religious affiliation or interest in any sort of zionism.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes but it doesnt make him a native german.

If you can identify being British, he is a German Jew.... by your logic, you are not entitled to be called British - he has probably spent a significant proportion of his life in Germany, so understandly feels German, despite his ethnicity ...
Reply 9
Exactly - he was born in Germany so he is a German Jew.

No hes Israeli. By just being born in a country you dont erase your original identity.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
If you can identify being British, he is a German Jew.... by your logic, you are not entitled to be called British - he has probably spent a significant proportion of his life in Germany, so understandly feels German, despite his ethnicity ...

He doesnt feel German. He clearly hides it as he said hes faced issues and his dad is Israeli.

Your logic is flawed. An French person cannot call himself british just because he was born and raised here. I'm French first. Then British.
lmao just realised its just his dads side... girl, you need to find a job rather than attack people for their national identities which they choose to identify with, just because he isn't 100% German like you aren't 100% British :smile:
Original post by londonmyst
He's probably a dual national.
Maybe he's been targeted by hate criminals or those who hate Israelis and wants to avoid it happening again.
I've always been a magnet for jew hating conspiracy theorists/racists and anti-Israeli ranters because my first name is popular in Israel.
I'm not Israeli, don't have any Jewish ancestry, no religious affiliation or interest in any sort of zionism.

Seems to be the case as the dude was busy deflecting his Israeli roots.
Israel was created in 1948. His identity may well be Jewish but not Israeli.
Israel was created in 1948. His identity may well be Jewish but not Israeli.

Doesnt matter when it was created. He knows hes Israeli and he himself told me though with rather hesitation.
lmao just realised its just his dads side... girl, you need to find a job rather than attack people for their national identities which they choose to identify with, just because he isn't 100% German like you aren't 100% British :smile:

You clearly dont read dont you. I never said I'm british first. I'm french all the way lmao.
read the rest of my post, it doesnt concern you.

Why are you so fascinated by his Israeli ancestry through his dad's side or that he has to announce it to you when he meets you - are you part of the SS or something lol, he identifies strongly with Germany...

Lot of other things in life to worry about..
read the rest of my post, it doesnt concern you.

Why are you so fascinated by his Israeli ancestry through his dad's side or that he has to announce it to you when he meets you - are you part of the SS or something lol.

Lot of other things in life to worry about..

He proved you wrong though. He does identify as Israeli but was hesitant to reveal it. So lol
he's perfectly entitled to identify as German too :smile: "so lol"

Latest

Trending

Trending